banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

So, in Light of the Recent Esoterica Squall.

(11 posts)
  1. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it safe to assume that any future shipments of Esoterica products ,that most retailers only get the 8oz bags in stock? Have they said bully to the tins? Seems like most everyone just gobbles the 1/2 pounders up within hours, so they think, "what's the point of ordering the tins?"

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no idea, from a business perspective it would make more sense to only release the tins, as 50 grams going for roughly 10$ minimum that's 40$ at the least vs. an 8 ounce bag for under 30$. Either way I'm not complaining about the 8 ounce bags, but basically if you see it in stock, buy it, as it will be gone quickly.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It occurred to me that Germain might not be bothering with much in the way of tinning. Why do it? It's an extra step, extra cost, and their stuff is going to sell immediately regardless.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. carytobacco

carytobacco

Banned

Login to Send PM

It totally depends on what the shipment to the distributor contains. This time around there weren't any tins at all, whereas last time it was most tins with a few bags here and there. In fact, I don't think there's ever been a time where we got both tins and bags, especially in the harder to get stuff like Penzance or Stonehaven.

PipeAndLeaf.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It occurred to me that Germain might not be bothering with much in the way of tinning. Why do it? It's an extra step, extra cost, and their stuff is going to sell immediately regardless.

Yeah..that makes sense.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter70

Login to Send PM

The tins are IMO going mainly to Europe. There is not a large market for bulk tobaccos in Europe, as taxes and regulations make them overly expensive. 8oz would be a tremendous amount of tobacco in Europe. Most tobaccos are sold in 50 or 40g pouches or tins. Some blends are available in 100g tins and Dan Pipe sells up to 500g packs, but most Orlik or MacBaren blends are only avaialble in 40/50/100g packs.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Esoterica tobaccos are sold in Europe? Let's not forget that this line of tobaccos is made for Butera. I have never seen any anywhere sold by online merchants.

I would prefer, personally, if I had the choice, to be able to buy the tins. Tins are my bag, baby!

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My understanding is that the Esoterica line is not sold in Europe. I also understand that Arrango now owns the line and contracts with JFG to do the blending.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

peter70

Login to Send PM

The Esoterica blends are sold in Europe under the Germain's brand. Different names, same blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ah.......... then that explains it, Peter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also understand that Arrango now owns the line and contracts with JFG to do the blending.

Esoterica was originally the brainchild of some guy, maybe named Steve something, at the Piedmont Tobacconist in Berkeley, CA. Then he sold it to Mike Butera in Texas. Did it go anywhere else before Arrango acquired it?

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, gatorlope, laniromee, nunnster, newportpipe, ben88, pianopuffer, cowboythunder, krizzose