PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I am a big dog kind of guy...with a little dog amount of space lol. My family (excluding me) is allergic, so, as our family dog we have a shih tzu named holly. I am however at college so my time with her is limited.
My parents just gave me the go ahead to get a dog of my own to keep at school, it just has to be small and hypoallergenic.
I have my eye on two different shih tzus, but one that has really caught my eye is a shih poo. Great bread names huh?
I never liked small dogs, but I have grown to love my shih tzu and want one of my own.
So I am very excited, but I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of shih poos.
Here is the shih poo I really like, her name is lily, she is 11 weeks old.
e79b35de.jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Funny you should mention that. We have a Malti-Poo who is great and are considering adopting a Shih-Tzu I found in a parking lot last week.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I love my shih tzu so much, I wouldnt hesitate to get one myself but they are pricey

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't have any experience of a shih poo, only a jack shit (jack russell/shih tzu) as my fiance so affectionately labeled her. The jack/shih tzu (Sharona) is pretty good. Not too yippy and only gets really excited a few times a day. She'll chase the spaniel/shih tzu that's her age around the yard a few times a day. Other than that she loves to lounge around the house and be admired. Definitely do suggest looking into the breeds though. It's always better to know how much play time and walking time the breed you're looking at needs and if they prefer to have a play partner incase you're out of the house a lot.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I guess I'd better go ahead and adopt the one I found. I've heard nothing but good about them. She's been at the Shelter because I wanted to give her owner a chance to claim her but no such luck.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Like I said, if I had a choice, I would take my shih tzu back to school with me, I love her. The reason why we got one, is because of my friend, who had one that I loved so much. They really are great dogs. I have never met a mean one.
Too bad my mom wont let me take Holly, that Lily I am looking at is friggin adorable though

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I'm with toker on that!
I like the furry kind too and grew up with them but my wife and I work and the son goes to school. I just don't think its fair to keep a pet alone at home all day.
But yes Lily is a cutie so if you love her go for it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I just don't think its fair to keep a pet alone at home all day.
Im home most of the day now, even when i have classes I am only out about 4 to 5 hours a day tops, usually about 3

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
we do schnauzers @ casa de madman... great dogs, don't shed, and will let you know if someone is messing around your home. and they come in 3 sizes...

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
All dogs are cool its the owners who blow it. Small dogs are great in my book. Every dog you give a good life to gives you good karma points. It is all about that unconditional love that comes natural to dogs. Its us humans who need to work on it. I say GO FOR IT!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Up until we got our Maltese/Poodle mix, I had only owned large dogs, GSDs, Great Danes and a Husky. Buster's right. All dogs are good and all breeds have good things about them. I never liked little dogs because my friend had a Lhasa Apso that used to bite my ankles all the time. Our little dog was a pitiful mess when we got her, abandoned on the street. She turned out to be the coolest little dog ever. Just takes the right owners.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
my friend had a Lhasa Apso that used to bite my ankles all the time.
My girlfriends family has one, the thing is horrible, granted they, minus my girlfriend of course, are the greatest of people in the world.
I love my Shih Tzu, but I cant be with her all the time, thats why I want to give my love to another dog who needs some

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Well I dont think lily is going to work out, my parents (who I still live with while not at home) have pointed out that until I move into my bigger house at school, it will be very hard to train a puppy. So I have to wait until I move, or until I am out of class for the semester.
@maduroman
Just went and saw a miny schnauzer today, I fell in love with it, it was insane, but I loved it. It was very bitey though, do you have any info on that?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Nice jchaplick ... we have three shih-tzus in our household ... personality-wise, all three are as different as it gets, but they're cute.
But if I was permitted to get a puppy, it would be a boston terrier.
VavnR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.