PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
...and hated it. >_> Maybe it's because I'm not used to smoking without one but I didn't enjoy the smoke as much as I normally do. I was smoking EMP and it didn't taste nearly as good as it normally does for me. I was smoking outside and my pipe was gurgling quite a bit but I stupidly left my pipe cleaners in my room, and was a bit too tired/lazy to get them so there is only me to blame (though it didn't seem to impact my end of bowl smoking). So I'll probably catch hell for saying this but I think I'll stick with smoking with my sting in.
I should mention it's not one of those screw in ones. It was a simple one held in mostly by force.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have never had a pipe with a stinger and dont know much about them but maybe smoke a few bowls first? You may need to pack it differently because the draw will change right?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I have two pipes with a stinger and they smoke fine. I had a stinger in another pipe, but I took it out and it smokes better now. I think it just depends on the pipe.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Agreed. Depends on the pipe. The draw is sometimes tighter, but less turbulent, with the stinger in. If taking it out makes a big open space in the airway, it can cause moisture to precipitate out of the smoke, thus the gurgle. YMMV, etc.

Aug 14, 2012
I assume stingers are filters? I never use them. The pipes I have with provision for filters smoke a little better. The space functions like a cushion as in the Chubby Aero Billiards

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Foggy, I was assuming the "stingers" referred to by the OP are the metal ones, such as found on a Kaywoodie. I might be wrong though.
You're right Roth. I'm referring to the metal ones. I might also try a different tobacco so see if that makes any difference.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
If you enjoy your smokes in stinger pipes, so be it. I find mine smoke better for me without, but will always try to smoke it with the stinger in before making that call. May be the differences in our pipes, our tobacco, our smoking methods, or just plain personal preference, but if you make time for yourself and enjoy a smoke, you are doing it right.
Oh, and not setting yourself aflame. Accidental ignition of clothing is NOT doing it right. o)

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
No right way to smoke a pipe except the way you enjoy it. No wrong way, either, unless, in so doing, you do not. Personally, I learned many years ago that I do not enjoy pipes with those metal "stingers" in them. Have several pipes that came with them, all of which have had them removed. Same mostly holds true, for me, for any filter or other such device in the stem area. I just prefer the open draw, even though it may change when the filter, stinger, or what-have-you is removed. Right for me....

Status
Not open for further replies.