PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Yesterday got a small window when my Mom was watching the kids, and thought to myself "I have'nt been to _______,

I should stop in and see if anything has changed. Now this B&M is the only one for about 25 miles, and they are not the friendliest, so I don't stop by often. Walk in and the employee, a male in about his 60's puffing on a cigar. Does'nt say anything to me for acouple minutes, then says "NEED SOMETHING"? "YES" I say 4 oz of the LT. Blend. As he is measuring out, I'm looking at their pipes for sale. Pretty much ALL way over priced ROMA's. But their was a meerschaum pipe that was in the glass case caught my eye. I asked him what brand it was? He says "I don't know". Never asked to get it out, or even try and be somewhat helpful. So more testing to myself how bad this place has gotten, I decided to just stare at it for 3 more minutes (I did keep time). Again never even said a word. I say "Well I guess that will be it for me then", he rings out the 4oz. $22.00! Wow tobacco sure went up here I say in a low tone, and leave. Never a goodbye, have a nice day, anything... Any of you guys that have a great B&M close by, count your blessings...

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Wow, I have to go 50+ miles for a B&M with more than just OTC tobacco. Luckily, the staff at that B&M are friendly and helpful.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Wow that's just poor customer service... I mean geeez got to make some money on additional sales..

Mar 30, 2014
wv
My local B&M caters more to cigars and wine. They do have a small selection of pipe tobacco and pipes. The owner goes out of his way to help in any way he can. Very friendly and helpful.

If they treated me the way you were, I wouldn't spend a dime in that place again.
In the age of internet sales, they should be greatful to any and all customers.
Bills friendly service at my B&M is what makes me a repeat customer, not the prices and selection. He understands that, and so should Mr. Attitude at your B&M.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope that's not the owner/proprietor. Both my local independent shop owner and the owner of the local Tinder Box franchise are knowledgeable and friendly. Especially with the independent, I will often take the time to go over and buy something, to keep him going. He seems to be doing all right. Perhaps this glum and grumpy character at your place is just a retiree getting away from his wife with a part time job and just doesn't know any better. I can't imagine that shop will stay open long, or I'd be surprised if it did. Businesses are relationship building efforts, and this one ain't doing that.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Jeff Arrowsmith has been at Jade Smoke shop since he was 15 and has been my B+M guy for 20yrs. Jeff's mentor Paul Spinrath was my dad's and Grandda's tobacco guy before that. Great guy, good friend and a hell of a golfer (I try not to hold that against him). Always has a great story, a bad coffee, and deal on estate pipes. This week was a Peterson Claddagh unsmoked, a Peterson Halloween billiard, ans a sweet little French Oom Paul.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
All we have is two Smoker Friendly stores. One has a decent walk in humidor but as far as pipes go all they Cary is Smokers Pride and "tobacco pipes" with screens so that none of that Toby gets into yer teen.;) what I would give for a tobacconists.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I got some good news a couple of months back: There's a B&M just 180 miles from me. It's called Tabaqueria Xian. It's located in Xalapa Mexico, so if you're ever in the neighborhood, that's the place.
Sorry to hear about your lousy experience Doc. Maybe it's better to stick with some of the reputable on line distributers for now.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
That's a huge fail, in the age of internet retailers, B&M's have to be spot on for the in-store experience.
I'm quite lucky, I have my choice of four great stores in easy distance - including one that I would argue has a couple of the best house blends in the country.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Some guys retire and run a shop so they can have a place to hang out and smoke. You coming in probably interrupted his smoking time.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Some guys retire and run a shop so they can have a place to hang out and smoke. You coming in probably interrupted his smoking time.
It sure seems like it!
It's really too bad since B&Ms are disappearing. You would think they would try a little harder. As far as the price of the tobacco, it could be local / state taxes.
Here is Florida, the state tax is so high that the prices are double normal retail compared to online. A $10 tin costs about $20 here.
I am lucky though that I have one very close B&M and a couple of others not too far of a ride - that's not including Central Cigar, which is a block away and I can see out of my window as I'm typing this. They don't carry pipe stuff though, but you can smoke a pipe there, and there is a full liquor bar and live jazz in the evenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.