PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Found some deer antler in my woods and decided to try my hand at making some pipe tampers.

This was my first attempt at this. I found that deer antler really smells bad when put to a belt sander HaHa!

The color looks weird in the outside photos. The coloring actually looks more like the antler in the first photo.

Phone camera photos sorry.
0214181123a-600x337.jpg

0214181133-600x337.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Beautiful! My buddy gifted me a handmade deer antler tamper for Christmas this past year that looks very similar to yours. It's so nice I can't bring myself to use it for fear of losing it, dropping it, etc...

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Gents, thanks for the compliments.

Weezell, I think it smelled worse than scorched hair.

It was a fun project.

Good work. After harvesting a deer, I always stow away the antlers for some weird hoarder reason. They are just too cool to toss, and the way I was brought up concerning hunting will not let me take "pride" in killing by displaying them like a trophy. My family of hunters is adamant about this.
But, I have a friend who does re-enactments, and he wanted some buttons for a uniform made of antler. I was in my store when I touched it to a belt-sander and my buddy who is also a fireman almost vomited and rushed out the door. He said that he has smelled that smell too many times after really tragic fire. So, I aired out the store, and used hand tools for the rest of the buttons, but the price per button went way up, ha ha.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Not displaying the trophy?? That is weird from the perspective of a European hunter!! I was a hunter in Texas, and I did notice that hunting culture is a bit different than Europe- as my case the Bavarian huntig culture that is wide spread where i live. We use antlers for crafting all sorts of things from buttons, knife handles, paper weights, neck tie decorations etc. However for stuff like this we only use what we call "selection" antlers. In the local culture it is a shame and huge disrespect for the animal not to display a worthy trophy. Also, displaying a trophy by an animal not shot by you is also considere shamefull. There is quite a complex system for trophy valuation that we have developed .. in some sense it gives hunting a sporty anspect, which I do not like .. but that's the way it goes around here.

My family were from a long line of subsistence hunters, and even though we aren't working poor any longer, to display a trophy or flaunt your game, or make sport of it, is shamed. My grandfather, uncles, and father all prayed after every kill, and respected the sacrifice that was made. But, using every aspect of the game is respectful as well, IMO. I have no problem with using the antlers. Bones and blood go into the garden. I sell the hides, even the fur from my raised rabbits. I just don't have enough practical uses for antlers, and I hate throwing them away.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am not blaming the refusal of trophy mounting and display, I am just pointing out that in contrast with the culture I am accustomed to this attitude is very different. As far as game use, we too use everything the animal has to offer - well maybe pelts not as much as in the past, the craft is actually dying here in Europe. You can hardly find a taxidermist also, now days, and when you do be sure that will be one expensive project. Oh and by the way, lawmax3, that's a pretty nice tamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.