Tags:  No tags yet. 

So I Finally Opened a Tin of Cabbie's Mixture

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by samcoffeeman
  • Latest reply from mikestanley
  1. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

My order of tins came from the second round of Cabbie's Mixture after the initial release. The first round seemed to be fine, in fact delicious which is what prompted me to place a sizable order. I had heard various mentions of something odd in this batch. When I stuck my nose in the tin, something was definitely not typical of a straight Va/Per aroma. Hmm, what is that, kinda minty, it smells like toothpaste! I set it out to dry and when I returned a couple hours later the toothpaste had dissipated. I haven't smoked it yet, but if it still tastes off in the least bit, I'll be corresponding with SP customer service. I think the fears of cross contamination now that SG has remerged with GH have validity. The first batch I believe was produced pre-merger, and subsequent batches post-merger. Arg! I was so excited for this tobacco too!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I have a tin i churned right through and then ordered more. My order arrived a little over a month ago and i opened one of those tins yesterday and i didn't encounter any off smells or anything. I have 10 other tins that I'm now wondering about though. Btw, the tin I opened yesterday smoked just fine after a little drying.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. kiel

Kiel

Login to Send PM

The sample I smoked was more than enough to convince me to buy a tin. I haven't opened it yet, but pretty sure it is from the same batch as the sample. I really hope that inconsistencies like this don't become the new normal at the SG/GH factory.

I hope others can chime in.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you'd never have opened that tin... you could've gone through life believing that if the rest of your world collapsed all around you, at the very least, you'd have that tasty tobacco stuck away. Now you have nothing. I hope you're happy.

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, "Italics" or it didn't happen.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With Lakelands, the ghost is part of the adventure, apparently, and it only makes their admirers more ardent. Usually, I hear, only the aromatics have the flavoring, but some have reported discovering the ghost in non-aro blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know the tins i had when it was first released had no lakelands aroma. It was just the va per aroma. Just finished off a tin the other day. I really enjoy it, but am leery of purchasing more now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

I opened a tin that i bought in july 2016 with no issues.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I bought a tin from SP.com in mid-February. It definitely carries a Lakeland scent; but it's more like a very faint ghosting. For a reference, the Lakeland scent is somewhat weaker than in Peterson's Hyde Park -- which isn't much. I find it entirely plausible that the scent was transferred via unclean processing equipment. Too bad, because Cabbie's is a really good blend. Heck, I may even buy more despite the contamination.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a tin last year after its introduction. I liked it so well that I went thru that tin like Sherman went thru Atlanta and re-ordered more.

The second tin was different. Like Cortez said, the scent certainly isn't up front but, in that tin, it was noticeable and (to me) off-putting.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

I contacted them through the GH website email address. Let's see what they have to say about it.

To whom it may concern,

I am experiencing an issue with Cabbie's Mixture.  I originally tried the first batch you made of this tobacco.   The aroma of the tobacco in the tin was also quite nice, natural tobacco aroma.  I have heard of people experiencing variations in quality in more recent batches.  I purchased a number of tins from Smokingpipes.com last year. I recently opened up one of my tins and it smells like toothpaste.  It doesn't smell like tobacco at all, or anything like what I smelled from the first batch.  Members of the community are concerned that there may be some contamination from the flavors that Gawith Hoggarth uses, now that the Samuel Gawith tobaccos are produced in the same facility.  Have you had any other complaints in regards to this matter?  Is there a possibility of this contamination happening?  Why would my tin have a strong minty sweet aroma?

Regards,

Sam Weeks

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've just ordered more. When I open a tin I'll comment. I like Lakelands so no big deal, but I will not smoke it in the Briar i used through the first tin. I'll have to break out the rope pipe.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

WTG, Sam!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like overspray to me. I know they hose down the entire plant in whatever that Lakeland/HIV stuff is, but maybe they got some wintermint in the spray as well...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

samcoffeeman, about Cabbie's being contaminated, did GH ever respond to your inquiry?

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did you smoke it? How was it if so?

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just popped open a tin of Cabbies last week and it's pretty freakin' awesome! Now I gotta stock this one deep, too. I don't get any Lakeland vibe nor do I get a minty smell, just an amazing straight up VaPer. I'm really curious what their response will be. Did you try out another tin?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

I have not tried another tin, not received any response from them. I'm bringing it to pipe club this week and we'll get a group opinion on it. I still haven't as of yet brought myself to smoke it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just popped open a tin of Cabbies last week and it's pretty freakin' awesome! Now I gotta stock this one deep, too. I don't get any Lakeland vibe nor do I get a minty smell, just an amazing straight up VaPer. I'm really curious what their response will be. Did you try out another tin?

Really? I thought it was bland and uninspiring. Not bad, just blah. I'm sticking it in a jar to see if it helps the taste at all.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

I actually did receive a response from them, it went to my junk folder. They very simply asked me to send the contents to them. Maybe after pipe club tomorrow I will mail it over with a letter.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really? I thought it was bland and uninspiring. Not bad, just blah. I'm sticking it in a jar to see if it helps the taste at all.

Really! I love it. Maybe it's just not for you. It definitely doesn't taste bland to me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sam, I hope you get good news. I truly love the stuff, one of the best VApers I've had.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering what's become of this?? I smoked 4 amazing tins of Cabbies Mixture and bought 20 more for the cellar and low and behold the first one I opened up was a pale comparison of the 4 tins I went through within a months time. I don't necessarily get any toothpaste Note but it's definitely got some of the GH&Co Lakeland essence that comes through in the smoke and if that was all I could actually live with that but this tin is just not good at all. The depth that I got in the 4 previous tins is gone and it's just a flat, boring smoke. This really worries me since I had invested so much money for a large lot of these tins. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a young tin and it will benefit from maturing for 6 months or so. I plan on opening a new tin here soon so I'll post my thoughts on that one. I'm telling you, this is crying shame because when Cabbies Mixture is good, it's divine, when it's bad it's enough to bring a tear to my eye.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unless a blender has changed the recipe or his method of manufacture, it's highly unlikely that any batch is much different, one to another. But in fact, blenders usually don't admit to such changes, and in the past Samuel Gawith has been guilty of this. For awhile around 2007, 1792 was not full-bodied. Bracken Flake was stable until about this time but then they started making something totally different, a throwback of two BF generations.

The widely reported Lakeland essence does adhere to some of the Kendal blends that are are described as not topped. I taste it on Dark
    Flake and Plug from time to time, but only on the first light.

I've gone through a half-dozen new tobaccos and felt they were flat for the entire contents of a tin. But if I put the tobacco down for a few months, I often get much better results.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tasted any of the Lakeland flavor in any of the three tins I've smoked. I have found Cabbies Mixture to be one of the tastiest blends from Sam Gawith and that is a high compliment.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Decided to open another tin to compare and voila this one is back to the Canbies Mixture I know and love. Did a back between the two and it's night and day difference I can't explain it but there are definitely some inconsistencies here. I agree with Philo... when is good, it freakin EXCELLENT. Maybe the tin that I didn't like was a bit newer and didn't have as much time to mature in the tin, I dunno but I hope these inconsistencies are few and far between.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

graydawn

Login to Send PM

Hawky I had the same experience. I've been smoking Cabbies Mixture since it was first released then just yesterday I opened a tin I bought in March 2016. This was not Cabbies Mixture at all. No wonderful aroma and so flat tasting that I ended up throwing it in the trash. I have many other tins in the cellar. I hope that they are better.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same here. I ordered two tins and both are just flat tasting. I was wondering what the fuss was about-- just an unlucky draw on an inconsistent blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I checked last night. I bought 6 tins from Smokingpipes in September 2016. I hope mine are neither flat not laced with Lakeland. Going to open one very soon.

Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   admin, georged, yaddy306, tfdickson