So How About a T-shirt Seriously!

(62 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from hobie1dog
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I noticed a guy wearing a T-shirt from another forum at the pipe show. I really think Kevin should have some made up and when you become a member you can buy one. I would buy one and would wear one to support the site. Just a thought. You could even put a pipe cartoon on the front.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the idea, but I'd prefer something relatively simple. I don't think WE are allowed to make contests - but if Kevin started a contest of "Submit a T-Shirt Design" - I'd totally do it. The prize is simple, too: A FREE T-SHIRT!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Great idea shaintiques. I too would buy one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can see a limited run of T's:

The first I'd make is the "#9" shirt:
    - Black Tee Shirt
    - Front - in bold white block print "#9!"
    - Back - in smaller font, "what'samattercan'tuseashiftkey? -- Lawrence"

What else would you put on a shirt?

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also noticed that some of the guys had a sign about their forum on their table. Something like Proud member of.... Anyway just a thought. I am a proud member of this site and would love a way to display that especially walking around.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting this, Dave!

Like most everyone, I've seen great success with other sites/businesses offering quality T-Shirts, polos, coffee cups, etc. for a fair price.

Undecagon's suggestion should be given due consideration.

Promotes the site = free publicity. Involves PM Forums members in the process = increases participation and rapport. Makes money for Pipes Magazine = Keeps the site open, brings money in for upkeep and improvements, while putting more shoes and smoking jackets in Kevin's closet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since Kevin said he will never have merchandise I don't think this will happen. But it would be cool. Christmas is just around the corner.

And the stuff could be picked up by some site sponsors and sold via their website. Making Pipesmagazine's profit smaller but much easier since he will not have to handle individual orders (in fact this must be the only option because there's no effing way Kevin is going to take orders and ship them out himself, not worth the time and effort lol). Leave that to the pro's.

He's got a lot on his plate guys so I don't see this happening.

But if it did it better be done in style. Which will require work. And a lot of it.

I won't be a walking billboard for just any design.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do shirts on the side - have a great artist that does work for me as well:

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Spartan, there are vendors who do all the heavy lifting for you, such as Zazzle:

http://www.zazzle.com/create

They make the item(s) and a link on PM Forums would allow anyone interested in purchasing items would simply click to order what they want.

Here's an example of what Cigar Geeks, a hobby forum for cigar smokers, has done:

http://www.zazzle.com/cigar+geeks+gifts

Easy peasy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love the idea, but I think a forum coffee cup would get more mileage. (Or - aim for the stars - a pipe lighter)

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

joeval

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a jazzy idea - I'd certainly buy one, if it can get all the way over to the UK!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes i would buy 2 or 3 but i need a 3X TALL in a big men's size .
    Oh yes and a Hat (cap) also the coffee mug .

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I Don't Always Smoke but When I Do, I smoke a Pipe

Mine Is Bent And It Hangs Nicely (with picture of a Bent Pipe)

Is That a Briar in you Pocket Or you Just Happy to See Me

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mine Is Bent And It Hangs Nicely (with picture of a Bent Pipe)

Oh, hell ya. I would forgo a month of Tad to buy a couple.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. av8scuba

av8scuba

Login to Send PM

+1 on the "Mine is Bent".

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW Roth, those cigar geeks really have quite the line up. That would be a great idea but like everything else (and please correct me if I am wrong) someone would have to manage some part of it if the purpose were to kick in some coin to PM

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. easygoer

easygoer

Login to Send PM

In the minority I'm sure but I would rather by a few tins more of tobacco. I imagine Kevin's doing fine and being a small operation has enough on his plate.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not so long ago, I was in a guild for an online MMORPG -- if you don't know what that is, it doesn't matter -- the point is that my group wanted to get some "clan gear" made. It worked out slicker than snot. The vendor who "made" the items took care of walking our guild master through it, from the design to finished products, they listed the items, took care of all the orders. The profits for us weren't huge, but enough to pay for the beer at the gaming conventions.

I'm a member at Cigar Geeks. For Paul, the site owner, CG isn't a business, but with the sales from Zazzle, CG's own Amazon "store," and a few rather lother easy to do money makers that also provide some serious promotion for the CG website, this stuff goes a long way to paying the expenses.

As for OMG it's more work, with all due respect -- this place is a business, right?

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris will probably want an avant garde Hawaiian shirt

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

I for one would buy a couple as soon as they were available. Big size 3XL. The suggestions for logos etc were terrific. We could use the publicity! I'm proud to be a member of the forums and a pipe smoker. Publicity, sharp publicity would go a long way to cementing out image in the public eye.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. gnatjulio

gnatjulio

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm down for a T-shirt a hat an oversized coffee mug and a hoodie....

Would a smiley face with a pipe be a possibility or does CI have the smiley locked up?

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Harris will probably want an avant garde Hawaiian shirt" me too, with front pocket.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would be down for a baseball hat, mug, and Hawaiian shirt with pipes and palm leaves.
    Great idea!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think a "Recommend Me A VA/Per" t-shirt would go over well at a pipe show.

Matt.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. lincolnsbark

lincolnsbark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second the request for a hoodie, will be perfect to smoke in as the weather turns and I am forced into the cold.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I want a PM Magazine Fedora, smoking jacket and calf skin slippers, nothing else will do.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris will probably want an avant garde Hawaiian shirt

Just make sure you don't "rob" him on the thread count.

(pipe cleaners )

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, I thought you told us on another thread that you look incredibly goofy in hats. That was a self-deprecating admission that was humorous and at the same time quite believable. For our collective clarity, are you lying now or were you lying then?

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Déjà vu, Kevin.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. lincolnsbark

lincolnsbark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

are you lying now or were you lying then?

No further questions Your Honor...

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

How about a matching propeller beanie?

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris- don't answer that question. Reject the premise, it's a trap!

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

T-shirt slogan suggestion: I made Preferred Member on PM Forums and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

We've been here, done this, we all want.....but it ain't gonna happen according to Kevin. Don't we do this every year?

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or - aim for the stars - a pipe lighter
    If Kevin ever had that made that would instantly become my most beloved lighter. Unfortunaly all the older members say none of this will happen, but a man can dream.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  36. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I understand what has been said in the past and Cortez always has great ideas for merchandising, but I really don't see why not. I mean we did do a PM magazine Meerschaum pipe once upon a time. A tshirt is a simple thing to make, maybe it is too much trouble shipping them out or something, but I would think the advertising, especially at pipe shows and pipe clubs would be worth it, you might could even put all the sponsors on the back or something if they were interested.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a fantastic idea. I would most definitely be putting in an order in "Fella Size" XXXL.
    Still waiting for Kevin to chime in.

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. lordnoble

lordnoble

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This isn't definitive, but I'm 95% sure Kevin will say no. He always has in the past and I don't think anything has changed. Yes, there was the PM meer, but I'm pretty sure that was a fluke, not the start of something. Now I could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 5 years ago #
  39. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My guess would be Kevin would say no. He's been pretty adamant about not doing merchandising. I see both sides and respect his decision. It's his business after all.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  40. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I think I will have a "The Pipery" shirt made up and maybe give out a free shirt with each custom pipe purchase at the Chicago show or something. I've been looking at pipe related T-shirts and there are lots of cool ones out there perfect to wear to a show or pipe club.

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If kevin says no that would be a shame IMHO .

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would also like to add my voice to the "Can we have some basic PM.com merchandise, please?" crowd.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait until next week's "Scary Picture" for a possible T-shirt design.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  44. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

The merchandizing parodies I occasionally post are a lighthearted poke at a controversy that arose, what, it must be 3 or more years ago. At that time a well meaning group of guys, who were very active and valuable members of the forums, btw, came up with a well meaning scheme to express their camaraderie and enthusiasm for the site: a PM.com Pipe Of The Year.

The whole scheme, as I called it, was cobbled together with a garage band mentality that failed to take into account such things as investment capital, inventory issues, taxes, product liability, trademarks, sales projection, legal accountability of the producers, and what I am sure are a host of other business issues that I am not even aware of. All of this, and for what? The sale of maybe 30 or 40 pipes -- with next to no profit, or maybe even at a loss?

We here in the forums have a club mentality, and the palpable goodwill and lighthearted rapport that exists is not lost on Kevin -- he may even find it a source of edification. But we should always be mindful that for us, this is recreation, information, and access to the hobby; but for Kevin it is the way he makes his mortgage payment and puts food on the table.

I can't speak for him, but I can understand why merchandizing is not a part of his business model. Folks should realize that this is plowed ground, and Kevin has thought about these things before. Personally, I think he should stick with what he has proven that he does best -- journalism. The best way to identify with, and express your support for, this community of ours is to support the website sponsors.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I wish Kevin would come and address this, even if he has addressed it before. I'm a fan of creating memorabilia for the members who would want to purchase some items.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of the biggest problems I have is that t-shirt quality from places like cafe press is horrible and overpriced. If you want good quality screen printed shirts you generally have to pre-buy 50-100 shirts yourself from a t-shirt vendor. Until... these guys came around: http://teespring.com/

Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICAzDPq40mM#t=23

You setup a "campaign" with a shirt and then if enough people buy the shirt it gets printed and shipped.

Teespring allows you to create & sell custom tees with zero upfront costs, and zero risk.
    Create & sell t-shirts online the easy way. No paying thousands of dollars upfront, no guessing how many shirts or what sizes you'll need, and no passing out t-shirts one by one and chasing people down for cash.

Anyway - if we want to go that route. I can mock up some ideas based on this and put something up there?

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, you are completely mistaken. I look totally dapper in any kind of head wear, my problem is I hate wearing hats, it hides my long flowing locks and makes my head itch.

I totally understand why Kevin does not want t shirts or mugs of other things of this nature. He does not want a bunch of old pipe smoking geezers walking around and embarrassing his brand. He is of course way to nice to tell you guys the truth.

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster, you are absolutely right. I wouldn't want to see me walking around with a shirt advertising PM. It would scare off potential members. It would scare off current members.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I love you guys!

I also love Cortez' merchandise parodies, and that is currently the only authorized logo / promo PM merchandise - pretend, funny stuff.

I really do appreciate the thoughts, ideas, and enthusiasm. However, from a business standpoint, even though this has come up at least a few times before, I am sticking with my original decision.

I am in the digital publishing, broadcasting and advertising business.

The resources required to properly design product, fulfill orders, and deal with customer service to the high-quality level I would demand would be a losing proposition when you crunch the numbers.

I definitely understand the marketing implications, but for where I am at with my business right now, I'm not doing anything at a loss. (Hence the closure of BriarBid.com, which is obviously a different topic, but just another example.)

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  50. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Kevin so what if we came up with a community sourced idea and used teespring to do it - with your approval if we put the site on it?

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

That would be a "NO".

Excerpt below is from the RULES

Unauthorized PipesMagazine.com Merchandise

5. We cannot have unauthorized production of any type of goods or services with the PipesMagazine.com name on them.

PipesMagazine.com is copyrighted intellectual property.

Anything that is developed, produced, marketed or distributed with the PipesMagazine.com name or likeness must either be owned by or licensed by Right Click Media, LLC and authorized by Kevin Godbee.

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with Kevin, this is his baby & copyright applies.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dad came home and made us all stop playing fun.

HAHA - Just kidding Kevin. I've got two companies and I totally understand where you're coming from. That's why I bought a new iPad, some duct tape, and a white hanes. I pull up the PM.com homepage, tape the thing to my chest and walk around with it. WALA! Authorized PM.com T-Shirt....they're a little pricey though....

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha Undecagon!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. tombraider

tombraider

Login to Send PM

How about a shirt with #5 on the front???

Posted 5 years ago #
  56. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All this talk just raises the value of my PM 2012 meer. I have a collectors item!

Posted 5 years ago #
  57. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just write "I smoke pipes" on a white undershirt with a sharpie.

Should work.

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All this talk just raises the value of my PM 2012 meer. I have a collectors item!

Yea....I'm REALLY pissed I missed out on that thing. I definitely could have afforded one this year. Last year just wasn't good (new apartment, and starting a Master's program, and starting a new company...ugh!)

Hindsight's a b!tch

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My PM Meer is one of a kind. It has MOD carved on the side of the shank opposite of PM 2012.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 5 years ago #
  60. dnietosi

dnietosi

Login to Send PM

If you guys make it, I ll get one.

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Without using any Pipes Magazine logos etc. a basic t-shirt idea that I think is fitting for all pipe smokers is;

"Got Pipe Cleaners" with a picture of some pipe cleaners.

As they say, you can never have to many pipe cleaners.

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I think now that Kevin has responded...again.....we can close this puppy down. Mark your calenders down for next years T-shirt thread to reappear

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank