PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, I obviously love pipes. That goes without saying. I love them so much I started making pipes a few months ago. I also spend a fair amount of time looking at pipes that other people make too. I generally like theirs better than mine. I've fallen in love with Olie Sylvester's pipes. I have one and another in commission right now. We've been e-mailing back and forth for some time. Mainly, I harass him on how to do things and what I need to make my pipes better. I think I wore his fingers out because he invited me to come spend the weekend and learn under him. I HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN PIPE-MAKING FROM MY FAVORITE PIPE MAKER! Absolutely blown away! I feel like Keith Richards just invited me over to play guitar. I can't wait to go do this! So fired up and I had to share with people who may appreciate it because my wife views it like I'm going to a friends house to play in his garage (may be fairly close to what is happening, actually). But anyways! I'm super excited!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is a splendid opportunity. In general, I'm impressed with the willingness of pipe makers to share knowledge with folks who might be their future competition. After all, you can't get rich making pipes -- even expensive pipes. And most guys seem to give generously of their time and talent.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Excellent! Opportunities like that can save a huge amount of time on the learning curve...

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Quincy
This is an amazing opportunity for you and I can feel your enthusiasm!
Make sure you take plenty of notes; it is so worthwhile to refer to them when you return home. Trust me.
Good luck

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
That would be the equivalent of me spending the weekend with Old Cajun and just hanging out, learning about pipes and learning about life. I'd do that in a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.