PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
The pipe: Peterson Silver Spigot B42

The tobacco: Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant.
I loaded the pipe with Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant, as it's become a favorite of mine because it's such a well burning tobacco. A great crossover blend, an english not too heavy on the latakia with a bit of sweetness from the added Irish aromatic. I mean... it's not Black Frigate, but it's a great blend! So after I loaded the bowl I took match to the tobacco, got a good light going and sat back to relax while watching a good show. After a while I realized my first light never went out, so I gave it a little tamp, and resumed smoking. The first 1/4 of the bowl came and went, one match, one light, pure wonderful sweet smoke, a gentle tamp every so often, leading to the 1/2 mark. I looked down in my bowl, with a bit of a smile, resumed smoking. Kicking back, watching the smoke drift above and away, the sweetness of the tobacco on my tongue, the sweet and smoky aroma greeting my nose, the relaxation as the tightness in my muscles soothed away. The 3/4 mark slowly came about, one match, one light, pure wonderful sweet smoke, a gentle tamp every so often... pure relaxing pipe smoking bliss. I looked down again into the bowl with a bit of a chuckle. I kicked back and resumed smoking. Finally, somewhere between the 3/4 mark and the bottom of the bowl, the embers finally died. But it was ok, I didn't mind. I breathed in deep through my nose, exhaled slowly, and finally lit match number two. That second light took it to the bottom, all ash... and me fully content.
It wasn't a perfect smoke, but it was close. I've had a few before, as many of us have. I just wanted to make note of it here, that although they don't happen very often, they do happen from time to time. It didn't happen for me this time, and might not for quite a while. But then it might happen the next time I light up. Do I strive for it? No. I think it's less pleasurable then, when you're trying so hard to make it happen. When I was first taking up the pipe I, as many others have, wanted that elusive perfect smoke so bad. But it's when they sneak up on you, is when they're most enjoyable. For all you new pipe smokers that are going through a box of 300 matches every pipe, don't worry about it. Relights are part of it. You'll get your perfect smoke eventually, and even if you never do, you'll be more than pleased with those four match smokes, those three match smokes, and those two match smokes. For the veterans here, who've had a few of those perfect smokes and don't worry about it anymore... I still hope you get one soon. They'll come, as mine will come as well. Happy smokes everyone :puffy:
Anthony

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You actually miss the best smoking experiences because you don't pay attention to when they happen, and then wander how you did it in the first place.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Do I strive for it? No. I think it's less pleasurable then, when you're trying so hard to make it happen.

My experience also Anthony. My best moments come unexpectedly and are always a treat I immediately miss and want again.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I keep peaching the two pipe method but I don’t think anyone is listening. I get far more “perfect smokes” when I smoke in tandem. Try it out. I can across an article in Pipes and Tobacco Magazine where I think it was William Serad (spelling??) that wrote about always smoking two pipes, with two different blends in one session. After the first time I tried it, I never looked back... I even walk my dog with two pipes, I get a lot of weird looks from my neighbors but hey, I’m on cloud nine so what do I care?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Very close indeed. After all these years I don't think I've ever even come close.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Precarious and funny to look at. I have trouble clenching one pipe and breathing... then I drop it. :roll:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Every now and then one match will do it. I never have that in mind, but it happens. Usually those bowls will burn down to all ash. It's magic.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So Hawky, I suppose you smoke Condor in one and St. Bruno in the other eh? :wink:

Haha, I have tried it but unfortunately it’s not the best combo. I keep track of all my favorite combos and still experiment from time to time. Condor in one pipe will pair very well with a straight VA or VaPer. The contrast of flavors will give you an amazing smoke almost every time. A recent pair that I’ve been digging is Condor (of course) in one pipe and McClelland 40th Anniversary Flake in the other. Mmmmmm so good!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I occasionally will light two pipes, but not on purpose. I would be willing to try this; but Clenching 2 pipes seems precarious, and I like to have my hands free to work.

I wish I could clench two pipes at a time, it would make my daily walks a lot easier and I’d have a free hand to pick my nose and/ or do other worthy things you can do with a free hand. Let me know how you like it! I find that using two very different blends works best as that’s when the flavors tend to really pop!

Dec 28, 2015
Interesting timing on this thread. I read your post yesterday and reflected that I have quit giving any consideration to having a one light experience. But then yesterday afternoon while cooking some chicken wings on the grill I lit a bowl of Errinmore flake in my Nording Signature. The charring light just kept smoking so I went with it. About halfway through the bowl it was still smoking beautifully. Just an occasional light tamp kept things rolling along. At just past the 3/4 mark I got preoccupied with flipping the wings on the grill and let it go out. One relight got me to the bottom on the bowl. It was very nice and I probably wouldn’t have given it too much thought except for you post. Oh by the way a glass of Samuel Smith Imperial Stout paired very well with the Erinmore Flake.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Nice essay, great writing. I wonder if there's a correlation between good writers, writing, and pipe smoking. I have a framed photo of J.R.R. Tolkien above my desk, smoking a sandblasted straight pipe, probably a Dunhill.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Sparrow. That photo of Tolkien is a good idea actually. A framed photo of Tolkien at my desk might just be all the inspiration I need to finish writing my book. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.