PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Not long ago I posted here to say that I couldn't abide Perique; that more than disliking it, I found I had so averse a reaction to it that I wondered -- only half in jest -- if I might be allergic.
This morning, smoking the last of a bit of SPC Plum Pudding I got in the last Box Pass, and taking a moment to add it to my rolling PAD list for purchase next time I visit SP.com, I thought, "This stuff sure is swell. Bet it gets high marks in reviews."
So I click over to tobaccoreviews.com and begin reading only to find . . . Well it's no surprise to anyone who knows and loves that iconic blend from our damp northwestern brothers, but it rather stunned me to find that it contains. . . Perique.
I suppose the honorable thing to do would be to track down and amend the original thread, where I held forth in detail about how no amount of Perique was permissible in my pipes. But, ya know, that'd be a lot of work. Hence this post.
It's just another instance that goes to show how pleasingly complex and satisfying this past time is.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
interestingly, and dssapointing enough...my tastes just changed in a full turn around. My favorite tobacco and daily smoke.....is gone due to pure disgust. It turns me so bad it will sit a minimum of 2 months before I attempt it again. So, no need to worry about a change of opinion.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Well this is encouraging for me! I react badly to every blend I have ever smoked with perique in it, but maybe that can change over time??
Isaac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tastes in blends change and develop, but if I write that in one more post I may be classified as a new species of parrot.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Perique is what taught me how to smoke slow, like half the speed of what I thought was slow, or it burnt my mouth and I couldn't smoke for a few days after

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Body chemistry also changes over time so that could be why?
I used to have a terrible reaction to red VA's but learned recently that several of the blends I occasionally smoke contain reds and there was no bite. Still cannot smoke McClelland's 2015 but Triple Play is wonderful.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just finished a bowl of Plum Pudding, the amount of perique in it I'd say is very minimal. It could be that is why you can tolerate it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Just finished a bowl of Plum Pudding, the amount of perique in it I'd say is very minimal. It could be that is why you can tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.