PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Seems to me, this stuff takes bravery. Initial response to my senses is "This stuff smells musty." Then upon pushing through to smoke my first bowl of Nightcap I gained a feel for it. While I didn't get the large nicotine feeling, it was pleasant. After a few hours I went out for dinner...then related the taste to that of the crust on a freshly baked dinner roll, strange to me. Finally caught an almost floral taste; is this the oriental? SO, then I moved on to Frog Morton, relatively mild compared to Nightcap, seems better for smoking during the day. However, I've come to realize...the Latakia messes with any other smoke during the day. Changed the taste of everything else throughout the day.
As for questions....a bitter taste...is this due to smoking to quickly or is it common? What was your initial impression with it? What is the change in the flavor with aging in your experience? This really interests me...I guess intrigue would the word, so thoughts, opinions, advice, and rants...all welcome here. I want to hear them.
Furthermore, at my grandmother's house I have been banned from smoking Nightcap. I walked in, the extreme nose on her immediately picked it up. She sent me to change my shirt, wash my hands, and said it was too much :) While she may have been joking a little; I still did it out of respect. I knew it had an odor....guess it's more than I realized.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Tyler, I love latakia so much I've smoked it pure. Right now I'm smoking Charles Fairmorn's Lancer's Slices. I have always smelled the odor of a smoky campfire, but nicer, in a lend with latakia.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Hahaha, Yeah buddy. Its in a class all its own. When I first started on pipes in Jan 15 I happened upon Dan Tobacco's Independence which is not really loaded with Latakia. I wondered what it was in this blend I liked so much. After finding it was the Lat, I pursued Lat blends exclusively. I even bought some pure Blending Latakia and smoked some of that! Luckily my wife liked the smell of it, She in fact will take a puff from time to time and has her own pipe for rare occasions.

Well I began branching out after maybe a year. I had bought some Virginia's and Burleys to give myself a sense of what they tasted like. Blending Perique was purchased in this line of research. Now after all the Lat this Perique smelled like dog poop to me! It still does if I think about dog poop while sniffing! As I drifted more and more into other areas like the Virginias and Va/Pers I had to get new pipes and allow time for my taste buds to move away from all the Latakia flavors. They had numbed my taste senses!
Some of the folks in the room just hate its smell, while others are drawn to it. It has polarizing effects. Today I still love it but have learned for me I cant smoke it all the time. To really appreciate it I have to get away from it for a spell. When I start to enjoy the Virginia's I have gotten to the point that a Latakia blend sure tastes good. At this point I'm at now, Virginia's don't taste as bland as they once did, but I cant go as far into the Lats as I had before. I will get that perfume taste.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake was commented on in the car as having a "nutty turd" smell to it...I laughed so much...I replied with..."...what you mean is an earthy/nutty aroma." The Latakia for me is a strange one. I can't get enough of that weirdness now...still puzzled. I am going to try blending perique soon, am going for McConnell's Pure Perique, I prefer coarse over ribbon with it I've noticed in some different blends. Any comment on the quality of it? What about the HH Latakia Flake? What's the difference in experience there? I've kind of been wondering being as the Virginia in Frog Morton only shows through when blown through the nose, and in Nightcap I taste some other things, but Latakia seems to be the mother of all tobaccos in overpowering the rest.

Mar 1, 2014
I was experimenting with Latakia and Burley the other week and the Lat heavy mix went bitter very easily (with fast puffing). I have also had different flavors according to moisture level, I think moist Latakia tends to be earthy and dry Latakia brings out the salty/savory flavor more (I love the smell in all circumstances).

Status
Not open for further replies.