PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I just ordered some Snuff from Mr. Snuff I am trying to find something that will keep me from smoking cigs at work witch is the only time i do only about 3 or 4 a day but it is still a nasty habit.
I ordered Toque blueberry and Coke and McChrystals Apple. I hope I like them.

Anybody else try Snuff.?

Jul 15, 2011
I just emailed the guys at toque and asked them what they would recommend for a beginner. I have a biker buddy that I have recently gotten hooked onto pipe smoking and he agreed that he would really like to try some snuff as well. We might go halves on an order and try some stuff out. Chocolate and espresso flavored snuff sounds yummy!

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
I had some snuff when I was in the UK. It's not as bad as people think, just be sure you 'sniff' it stead of 'snort' it. Pinch a bit and sniff it like you're smelling a flower.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I enjoy snuff from time to time. The only flavour I haven't got on with is the Menthol or Medicated snuff which I find does burn the nose a little. The only sort of chewing tobacco I have ever tried is the Oliver Twist range, which is European rather than American style. Both snuff and chewing give you the nicotine you are looking for without any smoke.

Jul 15, 2011
On this same topic: I have a problem with dry nostrils through the winter and get nosebleeds occasionally. They are not bad, but something of a nuissance. Does anyone know if the use of nasal snuff makes one more or less susceptible to nosebleeds? I wouldn't really know how this affects the nasal cavities, and it is about the only thing I am a little weary of considering trying snuff.

chestercopperpot

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2011
There are dry snuffs and moist snuffs. I would imagine the moister snuffs wouldn't be as irritating to more sensitive noses.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The tobacconist that I use online here in the UK even stocks Snuff Handkerchiefs, their just dark coloured which makes sence, Snuff can make hell of a mess of a white Handkerchiefs. My Grandmother was a big user though hid it from friends and family, I always loved the smell of her sitting room when I visited her but didn't find out what it was untill I surprised her with a visit one day and caught her in the act, she handed me her very ornate snuff box and showed me how to use it and I have been using it on and off ever since.

Reactions: AngueraCoyra
Jul 12, 2011
I make my own from really dried flake bacci, I like SG-Bracken flake for this, just pure/crushed up to a fine powder bacci-to-snuff...

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Morning all
Been using snuff for about 2 years now and love it. That along with the occasional bit of Swedish snus and several pipes a day keep my cig smoking to around 1 or 2 a day.

I really love using tobacco in these ways, but I can't stand chew (-:
My post in the thread that Philip cited has links to snuff vendors and forums that will go a long ways towards answering questions ya'll may have. Don't hesitate to PM if you wish, I love to talk snuff!
Opinions as compared to preferences, hehe.... I've seen the historic usage of tobacco bandied about elsewhere, how it was first used by man. Makes sense the plant was prolly first chewed. From there, was it dried and inhaled or smoked? I certainly don't know but for the hobbyists and traditionalists here do bear in mind that the older companies whose wares we all enjoy so much, Samuel Gawith and the offshoot Gawith Hoggarth, both began as snuff manufacturers.
riptide, using snuff at work in lieu of cigarettes is exactly what I have done. Warning, you must be tidy!

The handkerchief is your friend; you will want to use it. As tobakenist mentions, colored NOT white. When you take a pinch it is normal for a bit of the snuff to be left on the outer rim of the nostril, nature of the act. Remember to wipe this off to avoid odd looks from those around you.
Pipe Novelist, the dry nose will only be exacerbated with the use of snuff. You need to deal with that issue separately. Have you ever heard of the Neti Pot? Google that one. May seem off at first but they do work wonders!
Final warning.

If you try snuff and find you like, well, you will be faced with one more drain on your tobacco funds. So many different types and styles and scents to try!

There can not be only one! (-;

Reactions: AngueraCoyra

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Have a look here, riptide.

Snuff.
Thanks Philip I had forgotten about that thread.
If you are really looking for a smoke free alternative to cigs I would try chew. Lots of different flavors to choose from there to suit your taste. No special order process. And it is not really necessary to spit chew slobber out. I just swallow it. Just don't allow yourself to build up huge globs of it in your mouth.
I tried that once made me turn green but thanks for the advice.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I found some snuff at a my local tobacco shop. It was the last they had in stock so I snagged it! It was Fribourg & Treyer Old Paris. Then I saw some at a cigarette store they only had Ozona orange so I picked up 3! That is my favorite so far. It has a light menthol scent and a little sweetness to it. I believe it is in the German section on Mr. Snuff's web sight.
I ordered some Mc Cristals highland ice, Posch president, and a ginger bread scented one from Molens. All from Mr. Snuff and they got to California in about 9 days.
All give a nice nicotine boost but I enjoy the Ozona and Mc Cristals the most. They both have menthol and that seems to give me a little cool rush then it fades to a nice tobacco flavor. I'm going to open the Ozona tin after I am done and refill it with another flavor. The tin is handy and easy to use and cary.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Hey Dragon what do you use to grind your snuff? I was thinking about ordering some gawith-hoggarth twists that are already flavored for this.
https://mrsnuff.com/store/gawith-hoggarth-c-186_188.html

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Buster, glad to hear you are enjoying the Ozona Orange, I have some coming with my Mrsnuff.com order. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the Toque sampler. I'm already figuring out what styles I'm drawn too.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I did try a couple of different bullets, couldn't control the amount I wanted well enough. If you can get em' to work for you they would seem handy.
Oh, baskerville, that G&H Wild Mint is a very pleasant take on a medicated snuff, thanks!

johnbanther

Lurker
Nov 2, 2011
I just ordered some BonBon virginia snuff. Anyone ever try it?
It is supposed to be the famous Dutch snuff?
This thread motivated me to look for it, since I haven't seen it here before. I discovered I actually live down the road from the windmill that produces it. This is some cheap stuff!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I'm envious of that johnbanther! I'd dearly love to see the 2 mills and perhaps have the opportunity to speak with the head miller Jaap. I've read all I can of the history of the Star and Lily property, do visit when you have the chance while they are still there!
And the de kralingse snuff is amongst the best IMO!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
OK, I am going to bring this old topic back.
I picked up some W.E. Garrett & sons, Scotch snuff. The stuff is like a dust pan from an old book store. For $4 it was not so much of an investment. Yet I would like to add some moisture/flavor to it. I put a shot glass full in a tupperwear bowl with another shot glass filled with whisky, honey, and a snip of a vanilla bean in it. Sealed it up and put it in a dark place. I'm going to let it sit for a week and see what happens. Then maybe add a drop of two of the whisky mix to it and blend it.
Question is, " has any one added flavors to American Scotch snuff?" Or have you blended any other snuff with it to make your own blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.