Snowy Weather Smoke

(27 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Embers
  • Latest reply from bulldogbriar89
  1. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

So I wake up to a nice blanket of snow here in central Kentucky, and raid my cellar for my typical cold weather tobacco (anything with a good amount of latakia). Anyway, it got me to thinking what kinds of tobacco others consider to be a good cold weather smoke.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think anything you decided to put in your pipe is a great cold weather smoke.....As long as it's Gaslight.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I like gaslight too. Burning Balkan Sobraine in a Weaver right now with a cup of Earl Grey.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy a snowy night with a bowl of Bagpiper's Dream and a big glass of Warre's Warrior port. Bald Headed Teacher is my go-to lunting tobacco.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. andya27

andya27

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a bit chilly for this time of year up here in Cleveland, too. I smoke primarily Virginias, Latakia, and Burleys - with the occasional Cavendish aromatic. But since the temps have gotten below 32 degrees, I haven't touched the aros. it's been heavier blends. I couldn't agree more with the Gaslight recommendation, unless it were the occasional change of pace with Aged Burley Flake.

-Andy
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

billypm

Login to Send PM

Latakia is great in the snow, but gimme a good stout British plug in a Falcon and I'm in heaven. G&H Dark Plug, McQuaid Plug, Warrior Plug, or my new fave Revor Plug will all kick your butt in the snow.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. andya27

andya27

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

or my new fave Revor Plug will all kick your butt in the snow

Please tell me about this one. Is the Gawith the same as Samuel Gawith? Or a completely different company?

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. adam12

adam12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like I mentioned in the other cold-weather-smoke-thread, McClelland Wilderness ROCKS!

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Keep 'em coming. I see a big TAD attack coming on!

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

billypm

Login to Send PM

Hey, andya27-- G&H and SG are two different companies that branched off from one firm MANY years ago. They're both in or around Kendal and they both make great baccy. Their blending and flavoring style are different from each other to me. I prefer the straight Virginias of Samuel, but don't like the way they scent their flavored blends. Just the opposite with Gawith & Hoggarth-- LOVE their Lakeland scented stuff but a little bored with the straight Vas. Ymmv, of course.

Revor Plug, only available in the UK I think, is a stout mildly scented dark plug. Easy to prepare and quite cool and smooth, it is also loaded with tobacco flavor and nicotine and will sit your ass DOWN if you're not careful with it. It's flavoring is remarkable, strange, and unique. I love it!

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. griffonwing

griffonwing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my favorite winter blends is my 2010 Christmas Cheer.

Hoody Hoo! Roll for Initiative, Monkey-boy!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When it's really cold I enjoy Vintage Syrian and Jackknife Plug.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We got 3" Sunday and I've been into the heavy on Latakia blends big time for the last couple of weeks.

Billy Budd
    DaVinci
    Barbary Coast
    Commonwealth
    Balkan Flake

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Latakia hits the spot in cold weather, but beyond that I don't really have a preference. Plugs and flakes I find to be richer in general, so anything that's a latakia forward blend with some orientals in a plug or flake form is just perfect for the winter months.

That being said, there's something to be said for a sweeter flake to be smoked for the winter too. Something with Virginia, Perique, and a little Cavendish. I like turning to my stash of Orlik Brown Sliced to do the trick...it works wonders.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. seagullplayer

seagullplayer

Login to Send PM

You guys are not gonna like this, but when its really cold out my favorite is Prince Albert.

#1 Because I am smoking in my recliner, in the house.
    #2 My wife finds it "a little less offensive".

(She has almost come to the point of saying she enjoys the smell, almost) Seems both our grandfathers
    enjoyed it in their day. And now that we are grandparents I guess she lets me skate by...

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the love of all that is, don't smoke any Fayyum Kake outside in the cold. It's too damn good and you'll never want to stop. Had my first bowl of it outside in the cold this weekend... yup, too good.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tashkent all this week save one small bowl of Gaslight.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your favorite tobacco, no matter what it is, will only be better in the snow.
    My current favorite is Old Dark Fired. Just be sure to dress for the conditions.

(Cool picture, coalsmoke.)

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. bulldogbriar89

bulldogbriar89

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No snow yet here on Long Island, but it has been cold. I have been smoking McClelland's Craftsbury Frog Morton Cellar with extra McClellan Bulk 5110 for the extra Latakia, and right now I am drinking Home Made Hot Chocolate with Baileys Irish Cream

"Sometimes I cannot help but to think that too often we transform our smoking practice into a fetish--chasing the vaunted and supreme--things with allure and cachet--whilst forgetting the simple pleasures of pipe smoking. Making things too complicated sure can lose some easy moments..."
    -Patrick (ae1pt)
    Posted 4 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You guys are not gonna like this, but when its really cold out my favorite is Prince Albert.

Seagull...in the pic of me in the snow that I posted earlier, I had just finished cleaning off the Jeep for a run to the grocery store. What did I pack that Stanwell with? PA! Easy, no fuss smoke that I like in any any weather.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

we had a light dusting here in the city of albuquerque yesterday morning. The mountains got hit pretty good. I enjoy a bowl of Kentucky Coins. I think its a newminister bulk blend that my local BM re named. Cant wait for some good, cold weather!

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bosun Cut Plug, smooth, rich, full of nicotine. Great cold weekend smoke.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland Blue Mountain is my favorite, followed VERY closely by Boswell Northwoods, then it's on to Sam Gawith Balkan Flake, Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, H&H Mazatec, all of the Frogs, Mac Baren Latakia Flake and HH Vintage Syrian, Butera Pelican, Sam Gawith Navy Flake ect. !

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. griffonwing

griffonwing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bulldogbriar89. Might I suggest something? I love Bailey's as well, however, one 750 ml bottle costs about 25 dollars. Whereas a 4pk of 100 ml plastic bottles is 6-7 dollars. so two 4-pks yields 50ml more for about 10 bucks less. I love the cream, but I'm not willing to spend half the cost of the product just paying for a bottle.

That being said, I will have to try some of the Frog Morton blends. I have heard great things about them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Burned some Pirate Kake with a warm Irish coffee on the front porch this morning while watching the snow. Still quite pleasant even though it was only 17 degrees.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. bulldogbriar89

bulldogbriar89

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Griff lucky for me I am a good friend to the owner of the liquor store I shop at and as a b-day gift I payed $15 for 1 and got a bottle of wine free ,(and it was a good bottle of wine not some cheap crap.)

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   railman, jdhowe75, jaytex969, alaskanpiper, olkofri, jojoc, laniromee, ray47, supdog, oldgeezersmoker, donjgiles