PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Well, here in Central Oregon we are in the midst of a major winter storm (I am sure it will get the rest of the United States in due time) today that has so far dropped about sixteen inches of snow. While it has lead to a great afternoon and evening of pipe smoking I am ready for the sky to give it a rest. If any of you have a mad scientist, could you please do me a favor and turn the clouds off for the night? 8O

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love the snow, always have, and Id rather be cold than hot, but wow this wind chill in Wisconsin is terrible, and supposed to get to neg 30 this week.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I own a jeep, snow doesn't bother me driving.

yeah but a jeep or any 4WD vehicle doesn't stop any faster on the snow or ice. Despite what the California transplants with their SUVs may think

-Not a comment on you, just the newbies here in Colorado

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
I live in an area of the world that gets snow once every 15 years or so, but I grew up in Northern Illinois where it can get pretty bad. I was just listening to "White Christmas" yesterday. Never thought I'd miss the snow, but I do.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I suspect that you live near Sisters.
You got it right. I live in Redmond which is about 15 miles to the east from Sisters (by the way, Sisters is a neat little town where the entire downtown is done up in a old west style.)
The skiing will be amazing as the local resorts now have about 20 inches of very dry powder on top of a 60" base. The powder hounds will be out in full force tomorrow. Better bring a snorkel for the drifts which will probably be nearly chest deep. Alas, however, I will be removing snow at the school I work at and not skiing.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
By the way, I love the theory of snow. I love how quiet it make the town. I love the way it makes the Christmas lights look; however, I do not like shoveling it. I do not mind driving in it, but those who live in the area yet who did not grow up here do make me nervous because they seem think that 4WD makes up for common sense and, as stated above, forget that it does not help with stopping distance (actually it hurts stopping distance a bit as the extra hardware does add to the weight of the vehicle.)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Only a couple of inches of snow here in Portland, Oregon and the entire city is still in chaos. Sitting here inside nice and warm puffing away and sipping some wine while thousands are still stuck in post rush hour traffic.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'm about 20 miles north of Tuold. I have about 3.5". It is still coming down. Usually here it's turned to rain by now. I love snow. I just wish my son was here to enjoy it with me. He is on his annual visit to his mother. They are whoopin' it up in New Orleans. No snow there. He is sad.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
+1 mackeson

Colorado has too many flatland transplants driving under the delusion of all-season radial tires whilst distracted by smart phones & brain dead from lower oxygen (& perhaps cannabis)!
I love the cold & plenty of snow. The more the better. My water well craves snow (the majority of well water & most of Colorado's municipal water comes from snow melt).
Bring it!

I'm ready with my ATV plow, snowblower, 8 foot plow blade on the Ford F-350 diesel, & snow sled-scoop shovels.
BTW - old Ukrainian hillbilly folklore from my great grandfather - it's always coldest during the full moon.
ps - Yesterday's December full super-moon was the Full Cold Moon

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's +2 deg. currently with only a couple inches on the ground here in Eastern Indiana. I'll take snow and freezing cold over hot and muggy all day every day!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@jndyer - according to the local news you guys got hit hard by the recent storm system. I live in SW Washington across from Portland, so we were on the outskirts of the storm and only got a small amount of snow. The east winds from the Columbia River Gorge blew most of the snow around, so we only got about an inch which is nothing. The wind chill had the temps down in the teens which is too damn cold though. I'm just hoping that we don't get hit with another dose of freezing rain like last Friday. That sucked as everything was covered in a half an inch of ice.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
I wish we could get some snow here in Georgia! Of course when you don't see it very often its not so bad. I haven't seen a decent snow in over 14 years.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
-17 this morning when I got up. It's going to warm up and snow 6-8" and then get cold for the weekend. Nice refreshing crisp air as long as it stays fairly calm. Wind is a killer though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.