PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
My Benni Jorgensen Pipe was dropped the other day and it snapped in two. I've researched this a bit an have seen it is possible to repair with an inner tube. Do any of you have recommendations for a current pipe repair shop that is good at this type of repair. It was a clean break, just not sure where to send it. Thanks in advance.
h9dDV5R.jpg

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
No critique, but an interesting, to me, observation....
Always wondered just how close some bored smoke holes came to the top curved surface of a bent-shanked pipe. This horn looks to have a just few millimeters of wall thickness right at the unfortunate break.
When it comes to pipe-making I guess the shortest distance between two points IS a straight line....in this case, the straight smoke hole. Until someone figures out how to drill a curved hole down the centerline of a bent-shanked pipe there will always be weak spots within the curved section of a bent shank pipe where things can easily go "snap" when dropped or stressed.
scrumpy j.....good luck with the necessary repair.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I am going to send it to George. Sumus, I had the exact same thoughts as you. Looking at it, I was quite amazed at how close the bore was to the top. Hoping that the repair goes smooth and the pipe can be saved. Not a lot of material clearance to work with. Thanks for the recommendations gents!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If you take a 1” dowel and still a hole right down the middle...or drill it 1/8” away from the edge, you’ll still find it incredibly strong because the grain is running lengthwise. In this case, the problem is not how close the hole is to the surface(that’s fairly typical for drilling a pipe with a bent shank). The problem is that this is short grain...or across the grain and is very weak...
...and it is possible to drill curved holes in a shank with a rig that was used in Europe in the late 1800s...basically a curved tube with flexible shaft and a cutting head at the top...

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The break looks pretty clean to me, which suggests that the break is with the grain, as opposed to across it. Think about how relatively clean a split log is versus a branch that you snap in two. That suggests to me that you have long grain exposed. If so, then tightbond wood glue would create a strong joint. The challenge would be clamping it to make the joint tight and less visible. The shape of the pipe and the delicate finish limits options. Applying pressure in the right direction is critical.
Best of luck! Please share photos of the repair.
I have one Benni-branded pipe that is such a large piece of briar, I think you could use it as a doorstop. I can't imagine it breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.