Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Dropped my Pipe Dan pipe on basement cement floor. BOO

:(
img_1230-600x450.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Oh no. At least it is the stem. It can be repaired or replaced of course.
I smoke a nice old Kaywoodie bulldog that broke; the whole shank snapped off. Someone before me glued it back on! I am glad they did, since I have a nice pipe that they didn't want.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Same thing happened to my LL Bean pipe when my wife accidently (?) knocked it off the kitchen counter. I'll get it repaired one of these days. I just hope that the tenon can be exactly like the original. Good luck with your pipe.
G2tvPSA.jpg

h3GP5tV.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dropped my Pipe Dan pipe on basement cement floor. BOO
alan, I'd say you need to get that properly repaired with a new tenon, the stem is part of the pipe on those PipeDan pipes.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Yeah I'm going to send it away to be fixed . sadly , this is the fourth pipe I have dropped and broke. The other three were outside doing yard work and stuff.

Herreria pipe I fixed by extracting the tenon, inserting copper tubing into stem, drilling out tenon piece to copper pipe size, then gluing the tenon. Works pretty good.
img_1234-600x450.jpg

img_1233-600x450.jpg

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
D'oh!

I did the same thing several years ago with a Radice. Luckily I was able to get it fixed pretty inexpensively.

Good luck!

S

sunriseboy

Do you blokes lay in bed at night trying to figure out ways to break pipes?! I started smoking a pipe in 1968, and so far I've never broken one. So it's got me well and truly on the back foot how you do it!

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Papipeguy - Were you using the LL Bean tenon as intended...by inserting a standard (thin) pipe cleaner folded in half and inserted into 2 of the 3 holes to act as a moisture filter? If so...dryest smoke you'll ever have. Dr. Grabow in Sparta, NC actually made your LL Bean, and they put that same filter system into their Smokemaster 300 & 500 series pipes. Long gone now. You could do an eBay watch for a Smokemaster, and possibly re-fit that stem for your Bean. Smokemaster come around a lot more often than the LL.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
sunrise: it's my lack of proper clenching and desire to walk around with pipes that gets me, dangle dangle oops concrete, shit, oh well

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do you blokes lay in bed at night trying to figure out ways to break pipes?! I started smoking a pipe in 1968, and so far I've never broken one. So it's got me well and truly on the back foot how you do it!
Oh, my! I'd say you're the outlier, Mr. Rise. Could be very wrong though. Since 1965 I've broken 3-4 pipes. Never while smoking though.
How many bowls per day for you?
I am very impressed with your management, and hope to hear of others' fare in this regard, plus or minus.
~ A clumsy old bloke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have managed to broke the total number of 4 stem tenons yet one cracked mortise all these accidents'were due to dropping pipes on the floor,now I wonder should I have gotten military mounted pipes instead,in order to minimize the risk of snapping stem tenons.

_a Relatively old clumsy bloke

S

sunriseboy

jpmcwjr I'm unsure of my management "technique". I'm just aware it's there and needs to be kept in the not-busted mode! But I can assure Alan73 that I make up for dropped pipes with other very sad social faux pas. Being and Asperger's sufferer, there are plenty of them. Regrettably!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks. I imagine the range of busted tenons here ranges from 0 to over a dozen. Average, three for those with a dozen years or more smoking. All WAGs, except for the zero....
Any one care to report?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's no guaranteeing against breakage with a pipe, especially if you haul it around with you, or even just around the house. Some pipes ride especially well, suited to tote or pocket, not indestructible but resilient by design. Short pipes with thick shanks and stems seem considerably less likely to get dropped, or to break if they do. ...Hey, I had one of those L.L. Bean pipes, but I finally traded it off because of its not-easily-removed stinger that seemed to mute the flavor. I just didn't want to saw it off.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Grabow Ajustomatic’s are great work horse pipes. The aluminum screw in tennon makes them pretty tough. They have removable stingers if you like an open draw.
There’s a few guys on the forum that can make your broken pipe right as rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.