PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Here's a "who's the new guy"question for ya. The last couple of bowls I've smoked when I get towards the middle and take a nice draw I've noticed my tobacco will start to fizz after the draw and make a gurgling sound during?! I'm thinking its moisture or my pack isn't right???

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Moisture in the bowl. Could be the pipe (I've got one that does this consistently) or you could be smoking too quickly which causes moisture to condense in cooler parts of the pipe and then gurgle. Slow down, and if all else fails, cobs are your friend.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Then again, the snap, crackle and pop could be from the Rice Krispies that you loaded in there when sleep walking last night.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
I found with one of my pipes that tends to gurgle that running a pipe cleaner through the stem (but not through to the bowl) seemed to eliminate the gurgle for me. (Note: I did not remove the stem to do this.)

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
was it a bent stem by chance? I'm a NOOB too (8 moonths) and this only happens in my bent stems...

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
i noticed if I pack too loose in a bent stem it happens. But it could be that I live in the midwest and it's about 120% humidity here too... I think most folks around here are starting to develop gills.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I'm in Missouri... so you are aware of the humidity. That's a nice buck in your avatar BTW.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Took me about 2 years of smoking a pipe to get it down pat to where I don't have any gurgle anymore. The hardest thing is getting the tobacco at the right moisture, smoking it on the dryer side I find I don't get any gurgle, and really really slow too. I used to get mouthfulls of tobacco juice out of the end of my pipe.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Yeah the bottom of my briar pipe I smoked last night resembled something like a swamp... The situation is getting better though not as sever as it was I've slowed way down and I'm learning just how long different tabacco have to dry be I give it a go.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I get that alot in newer pipes. Just smoke slower and dry the tobacco out a little more. It will help. After a good cake has developed in the heel of the bowl the gurgles and sputters will pretty much disappear.

Aug 1, 2012
Still have some gurgle and the occasional fizzing. It mostly happens when I'm pissed off and puffing like mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.