PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
So as I was cruising the local gun show I came across this Collectors Oversized Drinkless model, as I stared at it I was positive that since there was no price tag on it the guy at the booth probably wanted a brazillion dollars for it. I asked what he needed to get for it and he said I have to have 40 for that one. The cash came out of my pocket so fast it almost caught on fire from air friction :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a treasure, case and all; I really admire the shaping on the bowl. Yeah, you did fine on that transaction. Often, there's not much you can get for forty bucks, except when you can!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
What a great find! I love Kaywoodies. My dad smoked them, and my first pipe was a Kaywoodie. I have only three now, but will likely get more in the future when the right ones come along.
I wasn't aware that Kaywoodie made churchwarden pipes, or that some of them came in cases. You'll surely enjoy that one.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I once had a dream that I went to a gun show. Purched an amazing churchwarden pipe for $40 and they gave away hand made bamboo fly rods at the door. Alas, it was only a dream. Very nice pipe.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I like the paneling of the bowl, and the pipe's overall proportions. Please let us know how it smokes!
In the "Kaywoodie" section of his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting" author Richard Carleton Hacker notes that Collectors models were available in 1971; Collectors - Extra Large Shapes models were available in the 1940s; and that Collectors - Carved Heads models were available in the 1930s-1940s and 1958-1959.
While none of this information specifically addresses "Collectors Oversized Drinkless" I hope that you find it to be useful. Incidentally, Mr. Hacker also notes that the Drinkless models were available from 1931-1950 and again from 1957 to the present.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Hunter thanks for the info.....Not so far jones...thanks everyone I still cant believe I got this thing for 40 bucks

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
At $40, I'd have snapped that up. I really hope I find this model someday. One of only a few I've seen that I'd try to trade something for.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Gotta love gun shows!! Everything from prima-cord to binary explosive targets to hot sausage sandwiches to 400 varieties of wild "meat" jerkies - everyting from armadillo to alligator, and then fine pipes!! My favorite from the last gun show I was at was at a table staffed by happy gnarly grizzled guy smoking a pipe who had an item... its hand drawn for-sale sign read: "Wanna Really Piss Off The Neighbors? Here's the Cats PJs: Helicopter LZ marker bombs. 400,000 cubic yards of blaze orange smoke for a full half hour. Fun For the Whole FAmily". Gawd, I wanted to get some!! For the next time anyone pissed and moaned about my pipe-smoke outdoors. heh heh (WAY cheaper than $40 too!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.