PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
After reading different sections of the forum, I'm toying with the idea of trying to turn a rusticated into a smooth finish. I realize that it will likely reveal blemishes but the pipe I have in mind is a $15.00 one so no great loss if things go south on me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone down this road and suggestions. I have a rotary tool that I'd be using for the main removal.
Anyone know what type of filler MM uses on their cobs?
tb

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You can certainly DO ANYTHING to your pipe, but most pipes that have rustication have it for a reason. Just a guess since I've never seen what pipe you're pondering de-rusticating, but there's not gonna be a whole lot left to smoke. Post before and after Frankenpipe get the makeover.
MM uses plaster of paris for its external fills.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Might as well give it a shot, but remember most pipes are rusticated for a reason.

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for answering, I'll have to look at it, as stated there might not be enough left over for it to be useful.

Plaster of Paris, interesting and again thankyou.

I'm learning new stuff everytime I come on here :)
Cheers folks
tb

tinbird

Lurker
Feb 16, 2017
stV, obviously plaster of paris on a briar is just plain silly, I'm leaning more towards jbweld with a silicone topcoat :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Why not just buy a smooth pipe and save your energy :crazy:
Also the chances are that in working to keep a uniform shape the end product will likely have paper thin walls. Not good.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
tin bird- Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Wrap her up in leather !
Bubble-wrap ?
Paper mache'?
Glue walnut shells on it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.