PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Just curious which finish people prefer. I've really come to appreciate the sandblasted finishes. Not that I've had many pipes but I absolutely love my Sav GDO and Dunhill Cumberland. I find myself admiring the finish between puffs. My smooth Dunhill, while nice, just doesn't give me that same feeling of appreciation when smoking it. Being a prince shape, it sometimes seems like you're holding a cue ball.
Smooth finish pipes often look nicer than sandblast finishes, but for me, I think they fall a little short when you consider the entire pipe smoking experience.
Feel free to post a pic of one of your favorites, smooth or sandblasted. :)

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
57237343.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I prefer blasts over smooth pipes, especially in the likes of Peterson. My fear is I will end up dinging the smooth pipes and it will be obvious or a fill will appear. I have a sweet little Ponomarchuck and ended up dropping it because the stem was so narrow. Now I have a nice ding in the side. You don't see stuff like that on sandblasts. Just normal wear and tear seems to show somewhat easily on smooths. Pet peeve I guess.
I'm probably 90/10 on sandblasts v. smooth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Three of my four Weaver commissions are blasts. Love that deep craggy ring grain texture.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/16141

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like them both for their unique visual and tactile experiences. A smooth reveals the grain within and its surface offers a silky feel of quality, while a blast reveals the grain externally and its surface can be as alluring and offers its texture like an ergonomic grip.

Check out this unique rough cut poker.

http://www.briarblues.com/jio56.htm

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Here's a pic from that thread. This is the type of sandblast that I love. Belongs to sablebrush.
Cf4wdX6.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I like them both for their unique visual and tactile experiences. A smooth reveals the grain within and its surface offers a silky feel of quality, while a blast reveals the grain externally and its surface can be as alluring and offers its texture like an ergonomic grip.

Check out this unique rough cut poker.

http://www.briarblues.com/jio56.htm
We haven't really made a distinction yet, but I think this one crosses into the "rusticated" category.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I prefer sandblasted for average briar. If I can get briar with good contrast or flame grain, I'll go smooth. All depends on quality of grain.
There was a time when rusticated or blasted equaled inferior briar - or at lest that was my understanding. But I'm now appreciating blasts and textured finishes for their own merit.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am the odd man out here. Only like smooth pipes. Unless something changes, which I cannot foresee, only smooth for me. Love seeing grain and Bird's Eye. Nice that we all have choices.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I much prefer a great blast. I just find it fascinating to look at and it feels great in the hand. Now.... if I could afford a high-grade grain that may change things...
PFOwKWW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.