PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I often pass on older meers because of excessive scratching or surface dirt. If an older meer has a smooth finish is there any reason it cannot be sanded down, progressing through the micro pads etc. to refresh the meer surface?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
If you did, you would need to reapply a coat of melted white beeswax. I have no firsthand knowledge of whether what you're proposing would work well, but it sounds reasonable. I would suggest that you find something dirt cheap to experiment with.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
I've passed up on some really cheap smooth finished meers because of their general scratched and dirty bowl/shank condition. I prefer the uncarved ones. If there's no real reason to not try refreshing the exterior of one I'll spring for a cheap one to practice on. I passed on a german block meer that sold for under $2, which is what got me thinking along these lines.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a meer color from the inside out? Thinking some of those stains may be coloring from smoking and probably will not come out if that is the case. Just a thought but interested to see what the results would be.
Wet sanding with progressively finer grits should at least make the finish smoother.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a meer color from the inside out? Thinking some of those stains may be coloring from smoking and probably will not come out if that is the case. Just a thought but interested to see what the results would be.
They do, but it's pretty easy to tell grime or dirt from coloring, which I would hope to keep.
Found an article about refurbishing a scratched up meer and he does address sanding and polishing.
Thanks! I'll check these out.
I should have checked rebornpipes first. He has a lot of good info on his site.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That should work just fine. I've done an old one with decent results, but did not try to perfect the finish. I am not a believer in the benefits of waxing, if any. It does protect the smooth clean finish for a bit, but that wears away, and hopefully the color will start to show through.

Status
Not open for further replies.