PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I broke two ribs on my right side at 5am Thursday morning launching my boat. I've use the same launch at least 50 times before so I will blame it on an exceptionally low tide that exposed some exceptionally slippery concert. I was just glad I had my neighbors 16 year old with me to pick me up off the concrete ramp and get me to the ER at Abbeville General.
I can't express how painful or miserable the first four days have been.
On the positive side, I haven't had a cigarette in 5 days. I would like to use this as an opportunity to quit cigs and just smoke my pipes.
Any suggestions as to how long I should stay away from both before I pick up my pipe?

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
6 months to a year. Seriously, tobacco use is one of the most detrimental things you can do for bone healing. It's a bummer, but the truth. I feel you though, when I broke my tibia, I wanted to smoke MORE since I was laid up and not as active.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry, but it depends on your age. Bone healing slows down in major steps with the

decades. Six months is probably true after age 60 for most people. Of course others

keep healing quickly into their 80s, but you'll know pretty well where you are as you go.

If you have to adjust your sleep position, the bones are still knitting. I was installing

vanities in our two bathrooms in our first house (my late wife's and mine). I wrapped

myself over the commode seat to reach behind the vanity, straining at some piece of

plumbing, and pop! I think there were two involved, and I didn't sleep on my right side

for months, and I was in my 30s. In high school, I think I popped a ligament at the center

of my chest on the parallel bars and it took about a month, but that rib never was as

symmetrical again. Such is life. Sorry about your spoiled boating trip, and your rib.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I'm 62 and a half :wink: years old so I know one doesn't heal like a youngster.
I've broken a leg and collar bone and they were mild compared to ribs! Just sneezing feels like one is being stabbed through the ribs. First three days there was no such thing as getting comfortable. My adult daughter who happens to be an RN strapped be to a sturdy chair upright. Also, strapped pillows around me head so that I could rest. No such thing as being able to lay down, not the first four nights anyway. I was stapped into a big tall wooden chair, bottom cushion. Just so I couldn't reach for the remote control (too painful), I was able to watch 48 hours of the Walking Dead marathon. When I need to go to the bathroom, I just yelled and she would come to my aide. Wife is out of town with her sister and I told her that she didn't need to come home.
I'll rephrase the question. I feel like I could be smoking my pipes by this weekend. But, I'm willing to stay away longer if it keeps me off of the cigarettes. Anyone quit cigs while smoking a pipe? If so, how long did you stay off of both drugs before you stated smoking only your pipe?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If at all possible, get pain meds from your primary care doctor. Don't try to self-prescribe. You need

professional assistance getting on and off these. (I know, many laugh at this, but many end up in

rehab for addiction to prescription pain meds. Besides which, some have distinct side effects and

there's a method for getting off them without serious repercussions.) I wouldn't even think about

smoking anything until you are mobile and far more comfortable.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
had a bunch of cracked ribs after some old fool hit me while I was on my bicycle. slept in the lazy-z-boy for weeks as getting in and out of bed wasn't going to happen.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I don't know how how long you should stay off the pipe, but I'd suggest picking up some nicotine gum and keeping it handy for those cravings you're going to have on or off the pipe.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Not fun! I broke 4, lost my footing cleaning out my gutters, myself am a pipe and cig man too, it does impede healing I used plenty of Nicorette for two months as eighty one said, coughing is a pain, they used to wrap you but don't anymore as suggested a recliner, pain meds and heat! Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.