charf

Login to Send PM

What a pain in the ass. Roll on summer.

Posted 1 week ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No thanks. Heat makes me physically sick. Roll on winter!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 week ago #
  3. charf

charf

Login to Send PM

Too cold and wet outside, and my wife has re-purposed my smoking room.

Posted 1 week ago #
  4. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Its so dry here summer and winter makes no difference. Just gotta bundle up in the winter, or use my little smoking hut in the backyard with a propane heater.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All seasons for me, though I prefer 50-70°F with RH 50-70% (@ 8100 ft elevation this combination occurs during the Spring & Fall, & at night during the Summer).
    My only nemesis is the wind as I exclusively smoke outside.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 1 week ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

80° to 95°F with 60% to 75% humidity is paradise.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 week ago #
  7. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

80 to 95 with humidity like that for me equals instant swamp ass and pure misery. If I had my way it would be 55, dry, and raining all summer long. If I could live in the month of Alaskan september for the rest of my life I would.

With a couple winter months sprinkled in. That cabin woodstove in a blizzard with a pipe, bourbon, book, belly full of moose stew, and a wool sweater with some old blind lemon jefferson playing quietly in the middle of goddamn nowhere is about as good as it gets.

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. peregrinus

peregrinus

Login to Send PM

I prefer the outdoors, in or near the forest edge, for puffing and contemplation. Where I live, near Seattle, that means the best time of the year is late spring to early fall.
    I do some winter pipe smoke in the garage, but I am usually working on a project and so miss the relaxing sense of communing with the universe that comes from
    sitting in the sunshine with a good pipe and listening to creation.

Posted 1 week ago #
  9. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got this bad boy so looking forward to winter!

Posted 1 week ago #
  10. goldenmole

goldenmole

Login to Send PM

Wind really seems to spoil the outdoor smoke more than anything else for me.. Nothing beats sitting outside with a pipe, in a quiet spot, on a windstill day.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ugh, don't remind me. It's already dropped to 60 degrees here in the AM. I love sitting out on the patio in shorts and a t-shirt enjoying my AM pipe & coffee. Soon, I'll be relegated to my workshop. It's cozy enough, but by the time April rolls around, it feels like a prison cell. I'll take the heat any day.

Al

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my den all year long with the air filter running. The only time I smoke outdoors is in the summer, by the pool, when friends & family come for a visit.

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. puffermark

puffermark

Login to Send PM

Outdoor smoker in the Southern Hemisphere (albeit in a mild Mediterranean climate).

Winter? Load up with Lat blends and enjoy the falling rain.

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

do not remind me of fall or winter,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 week ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

tompetty

Login to Send PM

I would rather bundle up around a wood stove with a briar, tea, and book than lay around the ac in my underwear during 90 degree plus days with 100% humidity. Autumn is king, winter can be harsh but in kind of a beautiful way, the warm seasons are my least favorite. Roll away summer! Not long at all before stores will be putting out the pumpkins

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I would rather bundle up around a wood stove with a briar, tea, and book than lay around the ac in my underwear during 90 degree plus days with 100% humidity. Autumn is king, winter can be harsh but in kind of a beautiful way, the warm seasons are my least favorite. Roll away summer! Not long at all before stores will be putting out the pumpkins

Having just been through (and still suffering from) Alaska's craziest heatwave ever, on behalf of the entire state, I would like to say: Amen to that shit!

Posted 1 week ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First summer full-time in FL in many moons, will never belly ache about winter down here again.

Posted 1 week ago #
  18. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's 102 in Austin and feels like 108. I leave the house and scurry like a lizard to the next closest patch of shade.

Got on my scooter today for the first time since surgery and blasted to the B&M for a leisurely smoking session.

I can't wait for Halloween.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 week ago #
  19. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love winter. Pipe smoking in winter is awesome. Bring on the heavy Latakia blends.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  20. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shit, fellas, I feel for you.

Posted 1 week ago #
  21. americaman

americaman

Login to Send PM

I live in SoCal, so joke’s on you guys, I can smoke outside all year. However, I was in NorCal for 9 months and I would not go out to smoke during the insane rain we had. I spent a good amount of time at the cigar lounge.

Posted 1 week ago #
  22. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's what I'd do if I was banished outside and the weather was bad. Be a frequent visitor at a local B&M and smoke in my car a lot.

Posted 6 days ago #
  23. p40warhawk

p40warhawk

Login to Send PM

FOR NOW, living in SO CAL (Lake Forest), we seem to either have 95 degree weather or with the latest El Ninya's, the rain never stops. Thank God for my outside covered patio. However, am negotiating now with my wife (41 years) to smoke in the living room. With the understanding that it will have to be a tobacco with a sweet room note... I have the vote of our two Miniature Schnauzers, Dixie & Gabriel!

Dan

But I have promises to Keep and Miles to go before I Sleep, and Miles to go before I sleep..
    Robert Frost
    Posted 6 days ago #
  24. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’d probably quit if I couldn’t enjoy a pipe in the comfort of my home. Moderation is the key to keeping your home smoke friendly.

Posted 6 days ago #
  25. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's the wind that causes problems for me more than the cold. Depends on location. Some places are windy all year, other locations it is only windy during certain seasons or during certain times of the day. Often morning is best before the wind picks up in the afternoon.

I like smoking a pipe and enjoying a snowy landscape, or under a shed roof as the rain comes down. I like smoking a pipe as a break from chopping wood in winter. If I had to pick my favorite season for smoking though, it would be in autumn when the mornings are nice and crisp.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 6 days ago #
  26. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rather than any particular type of weather, I like the change of the seasons. We have summer and winter in pretty equal measures around where I live. I second what some others have said about smoking your pipe in the winter by the woodstove accompanied by a good drink (preferably a scotch or a bourbon for me). That's hard to beat. The only thing that might rival it is a pipe (or cigar) in the canoe in late June or early July floating down the river with a beer in hand.

Posted 6 days ago #
  27. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

The only thing that might rival it is a pipe (or cigar) in the canoe in late June or early July floating down the river with a beer in one hand and a fly rod in the other.

Agreed.

Posted 6 days ago #
  28. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed.

If I had enough hands, I'd have a beer in one hand, a pipe in the other, and a rod in another. Alas, we must prioritize. Of course if we had salmon runs in the Midwest, I'd be more likely to swap out any given item and replace it with a fly rod.

Posted 6 days ago #
  29. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

If I had enough hands, I'd have a beer in one hand, a pipe in the other, and a rod in another.

Clenching FTW.

Posted 6 days ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

I love my screen porch. Ceiling fan on low in the summer and an antique perfection kerosene heater in the winter.

Posted 6 days ago #
  31. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Winter is my absolute favorite time to smoke a pipe. So done with this summer... oi vey.

Posted 6 days ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

September-November and March-May are my favourite seasons of the year. Bug population is near zero but it’s still warm enough to use gas lighters.
    In June/July I basically just don’t go outside because you get eaten alive.
    Then there’s usually one good week in January that’s above freezing, where you can just plunk down in a snow drift and toss flaming matches everywhere to your heart’s content.

Posted 6 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, admin, oldtoby