PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I noticed a small crack forming on the top of the shank of my 100 year old KB&B that I attributed to introducing moisture into briar that was that old by smoking it. Now, however, I can see a bit of moisture seeping from the crack. This old girl will most likely be shelved now as "look at only", but what an exciting experience it was getting to be its first smoker.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You've started it, now finish it. Either get it repaired or try to get some glue into the crack yourself, but now that you've smoked it, it deserves to be worked. The time for shelving it is now whenever in eternity it has no other value.

I guess re-hydrating pipes is now a 'thing'.

I am really very sorry that this happened to you. The crack may have already been present and not exposed until heat expansion. Either way, it's a drag, but that is a smoking pipe you bring to shows and meets and casually bring out and smoke, even if it's been repaired. Not many of those old hunks of wood still in rotation.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Sorry to hear this. A tough call to make now, shelve it or do like newbroom suggested. See if it can be repaired an finish out it's life with you as a smoker or a thing of beauty to just admire. Good luck Duanne.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If she smoked really well, I would encourage you to get a repair band. As has been said, it would be a shame if she waited a hundred years for you then had to go unused after not being able to handle smoking. I won't armchair quarterback what could have been done differently breaking her in (if it were MINE, of course I would, but it would help nothing). I'm glad you had the rare chance of smoking such an amazing pipe, and am equally bummed this happened. There are still options and I hope she makes it into your rotation. Good luck! :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The band would likely have to be around two inches wide to fix it. Most likely will see if Bruce can make me a pipe for that amber stem. :mrgreen:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That sucks !! I don't see why that crack can't be glued and then banded with a narrow band which would keep it from opening up. Hopefully the crack would not get longer and require drastic measures to stop it.
It would be a shame to see the pipe cannibalized to make another pipe--even a Weaver !

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Having been involved with cutting glass, and first hand knowledge of cracks and how they spread, I think it's likely that most cracks continue unseen to a degree.

The adage in glass cracks is that they are 'live' and will seek an edge.

ejames is probably quite correct in that a small band and properly applied glue would arrest and conceal the damage, that is if it isn't the Grand Canyon of a crack.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Really thinking about making a shadow box for it, an old clay, and some vintage tobacco tins.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Sorry to hear. Was hoping for a happy ending on this one. I've deflowered a handful of 1930's ones successfully. Sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.