Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Hi,

This is my first real post on this forum, after several months of enjoying all the good conversations.
My question concerns building a smoking room in your home.

I realize it's only August, but it gets darn cold here on the Canadian prairies in the winter, and I'll have to shift my smoking inside soon. I want to dedicate a room for pipe smoking but want to keep smells to the rest of the house to a minimum.
Please give me some advice on constructing your ideal smoking room. If you were starting from scratch, would your ultimate smoking room have carpet? Drapes? Books? or would these absorb the smoke smell? Recommendations for an air purifier (brand, model)? Main floor or basement? Weatherstripping on the door to keep smoke from escaping to the rest of the house?
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Dean

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I would have no carpet, no books, and only washable drapes. Since the only area available in my house would be the basement, that's where I'd have it.
Since I only occasionally puff, I smoke in the family room with a window cracked open during the cold, wet NW winters. Good Luck!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I pipe all day long. Have for several decades now. Weather permitting I'm outside, just because I enjoy it more. But when the cold winds blow, you'll find me in the garage / man cave, next to a small wood burning cast iron stove. I've installed an exit ventilator fan to pull the smoke out. Books go well with pipes, as well as any Tobacciana items to decorate the cave.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I'd say the main room at 221b Baker Street during the Jeremy Brett series would be my ultimate smoking room. Silk curtains, Oriental carpets, Persian slipper on the mantle with plenty of good books to read and a nice fireplace with comfy leather chairs to sit in, pretty much perfect!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum, Yaddy.
Right now I'm smoking downstairs in a walkout basement that has an 'Orick' air filter, which is probably almost as good as nothing.
My wife and I are planning to downsize our living quaters and one of the requirments is there be either a downstairs area or room location where we can hook up some type of filter system to be put in by an HVAC firm. They do exist and although not cheap, as Roth says, may keep the 'bitching' down to a tolerable level.
If the room will be for you and you alone, I don't see why you can't have a carpet and books, but of course, they will hold the fumes for a long time and if the door is left open, I imagine the odor will escape into the house.
It tough, but I'm sure it can be done. It's my plan, anyway.
Good luck

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
My smoking room is my garage with a Hester in the winter, fan in the summer. For indoors like plateauguy said try to find a place where the smoke won't "stick" and a window or at least a lot of ventilation is best. If you have the money they make air purifiers that take out the smell, never tried one though I can't say if they work or not. Good luck!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
I think I'll forgo the drapes and carpet. I can read on my blackberry and leave the library alone.
I guess my options are to use a small room off the garage (no exterior window, but not connected to HVAC of house), use the garage proper (not very homey) or use a room in the basement (unfortunately would require HVAC renos).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
yaddy, welcome to the site. I have had 20 years of experience dealing with smoke and it's smell. The only thing that will remove smoke is a professional grade heppa smoke removal unit like this
http://www.allbrands.com/products/27912-austin-bedroom-hepa-air-cleaner-purifier-5-stage-f?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_term=Austin+Air&gclid=CKmA9pOp-bgCFcee4AodODMASA
To remove the smell, the only thing that will work is a commercial grade ozinator like this.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17959315237209512480?sclient=psy-ab&q=commercial+ozinator&oq=commercial+ozinator&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1241&bih=577&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.ciY8R2R6XC8.O&tch=1&ech=1&psi=kpAJUtauBZDq8gS1vYGQDQ.1376359155503.3&sa=X&ei=_ZIJUq_xC4HW2QXu-oCgBA&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAQ

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Tile floors the good kind, easy to clean. As far as rooms and where totally your preference, I like basement man caves, stays cool in the summer and cool in the winter but very easy to heat. Get a good dehumidifier to keep the air as desired. Fill it full of books, DVDs, get a nice bar and fridge. A good entertainment center, some comfy chairs and some nice rugs, and there you go.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
depends on how comfortable you want to be.. the small room off the garage sounds like your best bet. Tell us more about it. Size, flooring, insulated, etc? I would add at least one window a DIY job or at worse an inexpensive handyman job. for heat and circulation add something like this sized depending on room. go to a big box store and get a cheapo rug. find a used recliner and side table.
THIS

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I smoke in my home office 11x14 and it gets that stale smoke odor after a while . You do not need a separate climate control system as that would be overkill and in my humble opinion a huge waste of money.I smoke like a fiend and the smell does not permeate the rest of my home .Make sure the door fits tightly . But you will need to wash the walls and ceiling twice a year with Spic and Span and elbow grease and a truck washing brush on a stick . As for carpet we have ours cleaned about every three or four months . Make sure it has a window just a small crack will make all the difference .Install a el cheapo bathroom or kitchen exhaust fan to purge the smoke after you are done .You can have drapes just get Kitchen drapes about 25 bucks .Pick a corner or wall of the room with a outside wall .Make said corner or wall your spot .Place chair for optimal viewing,computing and speaker placement . Install this and run a hose . https://www.acwholesalers.com/Fantech/RVF4-Wall-Mount-4-inch-Centrifugal-Duct-Fan-124-CFM/11854.ac?gclid=CJLk8eTa-bgCFTFo7AoduXcAuQ

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'm going to amend my "no books" - I would add my 1926 set of encyclopedias. They are beautiful and would look great in a mancave.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
None of that will matter if you get an ion air purifier. With that bugger you can smoke up someones nose and they cant smell it.
For real an ion air purifier right by ya favorite chair right in your living room. Its very quiet , and will draw the smoke right to it. I know a guy who smokes cigarettes in his living room and you would never know it lest ya saw him do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.