PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2015
For those living in WA, what are the public restrictions on smoking? I noticed in an old thread someone commented along the lines of "whatever you do, don't smoke in public". It's not clear to me if he was just saying that people here are just so intolerant of even seeing people smoking in public or whether the laws here have gotten as bad as CA where I understand you can't even smoke on a beach. I'm aware of bans on smoking in businesses and within X amount of feet of an opening to a building but I haven't really kept up on these things.

Feb 13, 2015
Google or request "Chapter 70.160 RCW" Smoking in Public Places from WA gov.
For local laws and regulations Google "(city)WA smoking regulations".
Warren, thanks for that suggestion. I gave the state RCW a cursory look and, if I'm reading it right, getting out of my car in a supermarket parking lot and smoking up to within 25 feet of the store before I go in or smoking along the local bike trail as I walk my cats should be alright. Those are my typical "public" smoking scenarios that I find myself in.
And johnny, I smoke the dope here occasionally too. I usually only smoke it with friends though and not on any regular basis. One of the last times I smoked was before I went out to eat at a Thanksgiving buffet with my sister. I figured I'd give myself the munches before going to eat and really get my money's worth. It worked too well and I had heartburn for three days after that.
What really annoyed me recently was going to the local hospital to visit someone last year and seeing signs declaring it a tobacco free zone or some such wording. Assuming I'm not spitting all over the place, what conceivable difference could my dip of snuff make? To me it's just indicative of the snooty attitude that tobacco users can expect to be treated with. These kinds of unreasonable laws and rules do nothing more than breed contempt in me for their contempt of me and if there is a way for me to break them I'll do it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I just spent a delightful 4 days in Seattle - they are having a record warm spell - 1.5 degrees above normal, and we had sun, unusual for this time of year. We went to a number of parks around Bellevue and Seattle - I saw no No Smoking signs, but a bunch of No Skateboarding signs. However, very few smokers of any kind. But no one hassled me with my pipe.
hp

les

Feb 13, 2015
they are having a record warm spell - 1.5 degrees above normal,
Yep, I'm actually on the east side but the same here too. In fact, I need to get some seeds started and take advantage of an extra 1/2 to 1 month of growth or an earlier bloom.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Les,

Glad you had a great time here. Our weather has been incredible! That said, you were very lucky not to get dirty looks and to be told "no smoking within 20 feet of business door."
A pipe in public is so rare, people probably didn't know how to handle it. If it had been a cigarette you would have been stoned. Hope you brought plenty of tobacco since a good tobacconist is a rare commodity here.
And yes, pot is legal here . There is a totally deferent attitude towards it. Common sense is not always a trait found here.

Feb 13, 2015
That said, you were very lucky not to get dirty looks and to be told "no smoking within 20 feet of business door.
"
You know, I'd kind of like that to happen to me: "Am I anywhere near 20 feet of business door, you busy body ****" Yeah, I can see and feel it now.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Isn't WA a state that just legalized smoking pot in public along with Colorado?
This is a misconception. I grew up in WA, now live in CO, and while posession of pot is legal in public, consumption is not. The dispensaries are even more restricted than tobacconists in this respect, as you can light up in a tobacco shop, but anything you buy in a dispensary has to be taken home for consumption.
That said, on my last trip back to the Seattle area, I did notice several "no smoking" signs posted in public places that otherwise would have been nice places to relax with a pipe - along the beachfront in Edmonds, at an outdoor(ish) section of the local mall, pretty much any place with a nice bench. :roll: Still permissible in other areas, I guess, as long as it's not flagged.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Not bringing this one from the dead, but this comment probably will.
Washington State needs to join the Russia Federation, it refuses to allow its citizens to practice free market principles across state lines. I could articulate and convince many that this state may be at odds with its mandate from the constitution to its Republican formof state government, that all citizens are granted all over the US. If you have a solid education of the US Constitution and its vocabulary etymology then you can connect the dots. I don't want to encourage any illegal activities per this forums rules. Not going there. Washington is a fascist state, scarlet letters, Lenin Memorials and all. Rant ended.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was talking with a friend the other day. He dislikes Republicans but often leans conservative although he does not know it yet. Being from a minority group, he fears encroachment of majority policies. My counterpoint was that the way the US was originally designed had two advantages:
(1) People could do just about anything.
(2) But, others were not required to subsidize them.
So it's a double-edged sword. You can smoke meth until your eyes cross, but no one is forced to give you medical care. You can get married as a gay person, but no one is forced to bake you a cake. You can say "no Negroes in my town," but no one is forced to build roads there. You can declare yourself transgender, but there's no affirmative action and no one is forced to hire you on penalty of lawsuit.
It's interesting in contrast to present politics, where we get two varieties of:
(1) You must do what government/science/popular opinion says is The One Right Way.
(2) Everyone must pay for everyone else no matter how dysfunctional
Since the 1950s, our budget has more than doubled, all of it to go to pay for social programs. Plank #2 conflicts with those in the original American vision, and without those, the need for manic taxes on everything goes down.
I never was an anti-tax person, but increasingly I'm becoming that way. Let nature do her work: let me keep what I make, and pay for only things that benefit everyone, not payments to specific groups. Let me act in self-interest. The best will rise, and the rest go elsewhere. It's the only way tobacco taxes will ever fall.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
our budget has more than doubled, all of it to go to pay for social programs.
At the risk of getting into a political discussion, you should probably check your math. In terms of actual spending, the amount spent in 1950 is about 1/6 of what was spent in 2015 (according insidegov.com's figures - and I'll admit, I'm not sure if that's apples-to-apples, with amounts adjusted for inflation).
The largest increases as a percentage of spending were on Medicare and Social Security (21% to 36% and 1% to 26%, respectively). Veterans' benefits went from 5% to 4%, while Education, Training, and Social Services went from 1% to 3.5%. Transportation went from 3% to 2%, General Science, Space, and Technology went from 1.5% to .7%.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
How about this, Individual makes 27,000 a year and claims six children. He pays no taxes throughout the year because of refund and then give him1,500 for each child. Redistribution at its finest. Social program in the form of credits. Oh it gets even more underhanded, but keeping this civilized I'll resist the urge.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Deathmetal, I'm fine with taxes as long as we use the metric in the constitution, That destroy's most of the Anagrams that The US Government has birthed. The Fed Reserve should be the first to go. Goimg back to gold baby, yea yea. Take the fiat power of paper away from the Cemtral Planners.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" Common sense is not always a trait found here."
Based on WA states laws, 8O voted for by the citizens, I would say that is an understatement by at least 51%, Plateauguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.