Smoking Pipes, Carter Hall, EGR, SWR, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Earlier today, I called Smoking Pipes to place an order for Three Nuns and Capstan Blue, plus a few other tins I wanted to try. The lady who took my order is also a purchasing agent for the company. I took the opportunity to ask her about carrying Carter Hall, Walnut, Sir Walter Raleigh, and SWRA in tubs. It's always surprised me that they sell the pouches and not the tubs, considering their high standing in the pipe tobacco world. I pointed out the trouble P&C has been having keeping Carter Hall and Walnut in stock, and that they were losing business to other retailers, and that SP should carry Carter Hall in particular, especially considering it's long popularity in our community. I related how many smokers on this and other forums are dedicated to CH and the other tobaccos, and will buy it from them if they carry it. She seemed very interested in what I had to say. Her response was that carrying these mixtures will be considered, but it would help it people e-mailed and request that they carry them.
I know SP will listen to their customers because of what happened in regard to Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend. They read the various threads I started, and saw the demand was there from potential consumers, so they started carrying it and Heine's Blend based solely on those threads. Btw, they sold out of EGR very quickly, and as of today, have replenished their stock. I told the lady that Sutliff will be offering EGR in one and a half ounce tins, and she said they would carry it when that happens.
As seen by the EGR example, we have the power to influence change by informing SP of our desires. Their excellent customer service is already well known by many of us, and a little effort on our side will likely have a similar result. So, if you want Smoking Pipes to carry CH, SWR, SWRA, and Walnut, I urge you to let them know ASAP. It's in our best interests as well as theirs.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I will definitely drop them a line about it. Smoking Pipes is who I order from exclusively. I've never, not once, ordered from another online company. And for the past six months I've often wondered why they don't carry Carter Hall, period. Thanks for the tip.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, SP is very responsive about carrying new blends. Months ago I suggested they start carrying Wessex Brown Virginia Flake and they eventually got some in. I spoke with a woman named Kaye and she was very pleasant. Unfortunately she would not give me first crack when they came in( she probably looked at my order history and figured I would clean them out in one shot) so I was only able to grab 25 tins when it did come in. it is weird they have not had it in stock since. Hopefully she will listen to all of the people looking for the tubs of OTC's and get them in for you. It is kind of weird they do not sell the tubs, maybe they did at one point and it didn't sell that well, or maybe the profit margins are not great and it is not worth the warehouse space it would take to stock them all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Harris: I know some Carter Hall smokers got tired of waiting for P&C to get it in, and went elsewhere... maybe permanently, as one guy grumbled when he registered his complaint in another thread. SP could have taken advantage of that how times over since P&C moved? I'm sure they'll take note, and will do something about it if they get a little more feedback. And they must read these threads because they saw the EGR posts, and now carry it. It's a good company, and they listen. Btw, how much do you like the WBF, and how does it compare to others?
Coalsmoke: Yep!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, I love the Brown flake, not quite as sweet as their BCDF, but a very satisfying smoke in it's own right. I would compare it to Astleys no 44, they could be brother and sister.

Dec 24, 2012
it is weird they have not had it in stock since.
They had wessex brown flake in stock at the end of April and around May 15. I know because I got 44 tins in total from them, and just checked the dates on my orders. This was during the time when the in stock notifications were not working (or at least mine weren't). They specifically said they wanted to give me as much of it as they could before "that bastard Harris" snapped it up.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Everyone needs to carry Carter Hall! I can get most of the other common OTCs at a B&M nearby when I'm in the mood. However, if I don't have a at least one full tub of CH in my cellar I feel like something is wrong with the world.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have not ordered from Smoking Pipes due to the fact that they have not carried Carter Hall or Prince Albert in the tubs. I order a couple tubs of PA every month for a friend of mine and I try to get myself a tub of CH also and when P&C couldn't deliver (I am still at nearly a month waiting for PA from P&C) I went with 4Noggins and have had great luck there. I looked into SP but no tubs. :( .

Hope they start carrying them.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
05venturer: I don't blame you a bit. E-mail them about it. They'll listen. They may even be reading this thread. But I'd say a lot of e-mails would certainly get the message to them, too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, you miserable c..k...sckr. If it were not for me you wouldn't even know abut that blend and it it were not for me, sp would never have gotten it in. You can send me those 44 tins at your earliest convenience. dick. lol

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Jim: Just sent SPC an email saying I'd love to be able to purchase CH, PA and SWR in tubs from them. Hope this helps to get their attention.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Don't think there is anything wrong with purchasing from a company that has what you want. Each company decides for themselves what they want to carry/stock as to what they think they can sell based on margins, etc.
When I want to order some CH, or SWR, or other OTC brands, 4Noggins is my go to place. When I want Scotty's Butternut Burley or Hearth and Home blends, or some tasty HPCS Trout Stream, I go to Pipes & Cigars. Heck, Cigars International, the company who now owns P&C has better prices on some tins, tins that P&C often show backordered, so I purchase from CI. You cannot beat Smoking Pipes dot com for the pipe photography and super well done descriptions, but Smokingpipes only carries a fraction of the pipe tobacco that P&C offers.
I feel no shame in spreading my purchases around.

Status
Not open for further replies.