PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Has anyone ever had the experience that smoking a pipe with a simple distraction, such as a book or a hobby involving your attention to be more enjoyable. In contrast to smoking with nothing going on around you. I've noticed a few instances where I've managed to burn a whole pipe at a relatively slow pace and with much enjoyment during the course of an activity at hand. But at other times where I've smoked with nothing but my current thoughts, and sooner or later I'm puffing too fast for my own good and have to catch myself in the midst of burning my tongue. In a way a pipe should be a calm moment in my daily routine, but am I the only one who noticed the need for an additional "distraction" to compliment the pipe.
Title Corrected Rule #9 Thanks, Zack

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
One of my hobbies is building 1:35 scale model tanks. I tried smoking a pipe as I'm building, but I get so caught up in the model the pipe goes out constantly.
Hell, I have a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time though :)

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Sometimes I smoke while being involved with various activities. Other times I am involved with various activities while smoking my pipe. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My pipe smoking is in time with my breathing. No chance of burning my tongue, but my pipe is hanging from my jaw no matter what I'm doing.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Other than just smoking and doing nothing at all other than just think, my preferred activity alongside pipe smoking is reading an improving book.
Whilst watching the idiot box I tend to get through a bowl that much quicker, especially so if it's some action adventure film.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Read, do Forums posts and email on the computer, and other projects. I'm never hesitant about letting the pipe go out if I get absorbed and coming back for a relight. Often, the bowl only improves. A good blend is a strong counterpoint to another activity and livens up the process in many cases.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
I guess everyone has their own ways of looking at it, though most in a similar sense. For some reason if I have an activity to contain my over active mind, whether it be reading, driving, or even a good walk it allows me to maintain a better balance between my pipe and myself. In contrast; for one example, to sitting in my car before work with nothing but a parking lot to look at.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My first and last smokes of the day are on the front porch, reading this forum with my wife's hot pink Kindle and some hot or cold tea.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.