Smoking Pharaoh Meerschaum Thrift Store Find!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
So I volunteer at the local Veteran thrift store. They never have any pipes lol. But today as I checked the cases before popping smoke I see a meerschaum pipe! It has a case and it is not too beat up. They were selling it for $29.00! I checked it out, it has been smoked but only a very few times. Not sure it has ever been waxed it absorbs the moisture on my fingers immediately. I think I got lucky lol! What do you think?
img_20151230_130907638_hdr-600x337.jpg

img_20151230_130917857-600x337.jpg

img_20151230_132511714-600x337.jpg

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
It is an ugly looking pipe. The idea of smoking a smoking guy's head is kind of weird... And the guy even looks scared, like he knows you are about to smoke his brains out. LOL
On the other hand it is a great find at $29, and if smokes well it is a real steal.
Enjoy!
J

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Pharaoh not so much, not even Pharaoh Sanders, but on the other hand a cool looking meer! Yes he looks a little worried, or bewildered, probably because someone told him it was a no smoking area! Hey, you did good and should enjoy smoking it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
We peruse the local DVA 2nd hand store here about once a month but no pipes ... yet.
Congrats ... let us know how it smokes! :clap:

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Thank you all!!
Orley your correct I do believe. At first I thought he was a Pharaoh. Why? My excuse is I played lots of sports and the helmets had very little padding lmao!! After a while I have decided that I have no idea what he is supposed to be. So lost in the woods again am I. But at least I am consistently lost, my dad always told me consistency is the key to life!! :rofl:
It is not an Amber stem nor do I think it is very old. I base that on the stem is acrylic or lucite I am pretty sure. As I understand it they are newer stem materials.
It is extremely light and smokes smoothly and nice and cool. The airway is restricted though. I have bored out the screw tennon which helped a lot. But I need to find some needle files and open the bore at the button. After that I bet the airway will be nice and open with a smooth draw!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've seen this figure several times. Not a Pharoah but I'm not sure what it is. But that's a good buy for $29, probably significantly less than it sold for new! It's most assuredly a 1970s Turkish meer. Yes, the stem is plastic.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Jonas, thank you for the information. The case looks like it could be from the 70s. The pipe had almost no use, but the case showed a little time for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.