PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Hey y’all. Now that nice weather is upon us in the northeastern United States, my neighbors have begun popping open their windows. My recently purchased home is the first I’ve lived within throwing distance of neighbors and I’m nervous to start on the wrong foot blowing smoke into their homes. Have any if you ever had an issue with neighbors and if so how did you manage it?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
As long as you are on your property, there's no issue.
My one neighbor doesn't smoke, but he sees me with my pipe every day. My other neighbor is a cig smoker. Both older men. Plus I burn leaves almost daily, and smoke out the whole town.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I don't live close enough to my neighbors for my pipe smoke to enter their homes. Burning branches and brush in my fire pit...that's a different story. I won't burn in my fire pit during the summer months. I burn everything in the spring and autumn when their windows are closed.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unless you are in an apartment, on a balcony above/below someone, I wouldn't worry about it. I smoke my pipe with neighbors when we a bonfire (we're all getting smokey, right?) If everyone is on my patio, I usually don't because they are all non-smokers and I can enjoy a pipe another time. If you are respectful in your situation, they will appreciate it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'd just talk to them and bring it up. You don't need their permission, but if you bring it up in a conversation, like "nothing beats a pipe on a nice day like this. Why don't you come over for a beer?"

Then you've told them and they can't really complain without being wankers.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I had one neighbor aggressively slam all their windows shut, but he was a jerk for many reasons. He sold and both sides now haven’t commented. I make a point of going out front if their eating dinner out back. Other than that I’m of the opinion the what they think of me and my hobby is none of my business lol

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’ve not had any problems any where I have lived including apartments. I guess I’ve been lucky.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I guess I misread the title. I have a good neighbor across the street and we will often have a little smoke and scotch evening together, either in his garage or on my front porch.
I wouldn't be too concerned about your neighbors slamming windows or whatnot. Unless of course you are smoking Captain Black Grape or something, that's just cruel!

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks everyone for the input. I will carry on business as usual. Better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.