PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebartelt

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
In the spirit of "No stupid Questions": Does anyone have advice on how to really enjoy the pipe outside? I intend to build a room in our house (like a study) where I can have that nice, comfy chair to relax in but for now, I want to keep the place smoke free for my wife's sake. Any thoughts?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Use a Zippo pipe lighter, they work in wind really well compared to other lighting methods, even the lightest wind will put pretty much any other lightning method to shame.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can learn to smoke outdoors in many different ways. A regular time and place, and a good place to sit, serves the purpose

pretty well, a porch or deck for example. I especially like smoking after dark. You get a lot of night noises, city or country, and

communing with the weather (other than monsoons, typhoons and extreme cold or heat). But mostly people forget how pleasant

it is to be outdoors at ease. Tree frogs, cicada, owls, or elevated trains, faraway sirens, and a distant party can be night time noises

too. Forums introduced me to the term lunting, which is walking with a pipe, it's a Scottish term. The idea that you can't light a pipe

with a match outdoors, and keep it lit, is just a lack of practice. Even in a pretty stiff wind, you can usually shelter around a tree or

other obstacle. I'm not saying you don't use more matches, but it is possible enough. I don't ever use a lighter and I smoke outdoors

fairly often. I don't think you need to design or build anything for this purpose. Adapting to your surroundings is the key. Relax,

have a smoke.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I've used my Zippo to keep my pipe lit during hurricanes, we have severe weather here more often than not, so lots of wind all the time. I particularly enjoy a good smoke during severe weather, I find it very calming somehow, especially the hurricanes :puffpipe:

bebartelt

Lurker
Jul 6, 2013
Thank you for the welcome and the advice. I'm getting to think that I need to get over my "Ideal Smoke" and just be thankful for the ones I get.
I'll be pouring over these pages in the future. Thank you again.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 on the Zippo pipe lighter.
I smoke on my deck, in a comfy patio chair. I have an LED lantern I use at night (like right now). I find it to be quite nice.
If it rains, and my garage isn't a total train wreck like it is now....then I go in my garage. I've started smoking pipe more this year- so I'm anticipating getting a heater for my garage to smoke in there....the last two winters I just didn't smoke.
Otherwise, if the weather/temp just won't allow, there is one single place in town where I can smoke inside on an evening- a cigar lounge.
Because I live in South Dakota, and don't smoke in our house, I will naturally smoke less when it gets really cold. Someday I hope to have some sort of "Man Cave"- a converted shed, an over garage attic....something......I can smoke in. I've got a 4 month old baby and I'm married to a nurse who works for a pulmonary doctor.....I've luck I get to smoke within 500 feet of the house!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Welcome bebart! Smoking a pipe outside is the perfect companion to just sitting, watching, listening and waiting until you learn something. You do not get this from computer games or television. It is educational and humbling - you can learn things from watching simple bugs.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I smoke out on our deck, (like right now) when I am surfing the net or doing homework. It helps me to concentrate. When the colder months hit I just bundled up but I think I may forgo that option this coming year unless I can make a place where I can enclose my deck a little bit more and get a heater.

wahoo92

Lurker
Jul 26, 2013
I don't smoke in the house so our deck in back is ideal for me. Using a Zippo pipe lighter does the trick, especially since being new to the art, I relight often. It's a champ when it's breezy out. I'm also fortunate to live in an area where we don't experience light pollution, so smoking outside in the dark is a treat on a starry night. The sounds of nature and the (normally) cooler night air in the summer only add to the experience. Highly recommended.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Like others, I do not smoke in my house. I go out on the deck. I have smoked there in all sorts of extremes: hot, cold, rain, snow, wind, big wind, you name it.
But now that I am older, my bones and joints do not take so kindly to the wet and cold. Dry and hot are fine. If it is too hot, I just get my trusty floor fan and put it next to me.
These past couple of winters, though, I have not smoked at all. My joints just can't take the strain.
I sit inside, looking out the windows, and pining for warmer weather. I have tried my garage. But even with a heater, it is too cold and damp. I have a dehumidifier going in the garage, but I think my joints are a better judge of the wet than the dehumidifier.
So, as it begins to cool here in the Southland, I know that, like the seasons, my smoking is going to change. I spend the winter time cleaning my pipes, and dreaming of warmer weather on my deck.
Alas.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I only smoke 3-4 times a week. During the summer and hotter times I do smoke indoors, my wife is very tolerant. Yesterday morning was particurlaly nice outside, so I did smoke out on the porch with a nice cup o joe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't smoke in our house, only outside on the patio or in my little smoking spot in my workshop. I enjoy the outdoors, listening to the birds, etc. When it gets cool in Maryland, I move inside and enjoy that for a short while. But, the end of winter, I feel like a caged rat and long for summer days on the patio.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I smoke outside when I'm at home, on the porch in a comfortable setting, and sometimes while I'm driving the truck. I can always enjoy it, but when I do get a chance to smoke indoors, in a good room, it's a whole different smoke. In my local cigar lounge, in the controlled ventilation and a comfy armchair, it's the ideal smoke, Pipe Nirvana! Just doesn't happen every day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The outside experience might improve if one adjusts the tobacco choice to the situation...

I'm lucky I can smoke indoors. The only thing I know about smoking outdoors is that you should choose flakes, cube cuts,

plugs and cakes that burn slower in a breeze. A more flavorful tobacco would be in order too. Something that would normally

fatigue the palate indoors would probable work well outdoors. Many full flavored McClelland blends, tin and bulk, are

thick-cut flakes or broken flakes. G&H twists: maple, rum and plain Black-X, Brown-X and Bogey twists are especially good

choices as you can customize the cut. PPP and JackKnife Plug would fall into that category too. I'm guessing a thick-walled

sandblast or rusticated finish would be a good idea.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I find I enjoy the pipe a lot more when I'm out of the wind. For that reason I usually smoke in a relaxing chair in the garage. But there are times when you just can't beat the outdoors and a smoke. Practice on a cheaper pipe and don't worry about burning the rim. That's what I did anyway.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoke outside at lunch every workday - spring, summer, fall and winter. I too use a zippo.
I find that a ribbon burns very quickly outside even in a light wind so if you are looking for a longer smoke you can use a flake cut tobacco. Sometimes if I am holding the pipe I'll put my thumb over the bowl, too much wind can make the pipe burn hot. I hardly need to puff, just clench and breath normally and let the pipe breath with me. I usually have my back to the wind, but I do move around.
I also like to smoke while walking the dog, and then finish the pipe in the garage with a cup of coffee.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Two things to buy for smoking out side.
Zippo

http://www.4noggins.com/zippopipelighter-brushedchrome.aspx
Wind cap

http://www.4noggins.com/WINDCAP/PIPECOVER.aspx

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
How well do those wind caps work? I'de like to smoke outside a bit more often but I live on a rather exposed hill where it's windy almost 365 days a year which spoils the experience somewhat; are those wind caps worth trying?

Status
Not open for further replies.