PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
-posted on article also
Jack London comes to mind, bringing in the dogs to help stay warm, walking to the mailbox becomes a balancing act between life and death, hands freezing to a shovel. Being from the South, I can only imagine a place like that. Winter to me, means I have to wear socks, and if it gets really bad, I go buy me a cheap coat to wear for a couple of weeks.
I enjoyed reading this, and I respect all of you folks that live up in those uninhabitable regions of the world. But, I’d just prefer to read about snow and cold than experience it. Brrrr, I’m cold just reading this.
Great read!!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I can relate a lot. Where I'm from the temperature in winter drops all the way down to the freezing mid 60ºs in the morning. By midday it's back up to the chilly 80ºs. Haha. Now seriously; it was a really entertaining and well written article. Keep them up Butch!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Welcome Butch!
I think smoking outside during the Minnesota winters would be a good reason to take up ice fishing and buy a fishing shack with a stove inside!

Mar 1, 2014
The house I'm in now has no garage, if there's any piping to be done, it's on the porch!
Thankfully I at least have a section of covered porch.

tallguy

Lurker
Sep 2, 2014
I can relate to very cold weather, living in Quebec (in the region where I live, during winter the temprature on average is -10celcius, about 14 farhenheit).
I was about to ask questions inquiring for tips to enjoy smoking in cold weather (I can only smoke outside... or in my shed!!).

-are there pipes that smoke better?

-are there tobacco that seem to taste better in cold weather (as curious at that may seem !?!?)
Any other insight would be gladly appreciated!
Cheers!

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Nice article, and welcome Butch. I can relate to the wind, cold, etc. Here in upstate NY a warm winter day is 10 degrees. A few years ago, not far from me, it was so cold and snowy they had to move the snow from the streets into a highway dept parking lot. There was no more room in the streets. The snow in the lot was still melting end of June.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
butch:
Welcome aboard, Sir!
I lived for several years in Rochester, Minnesota and, like you, learned to live with the weather. During my first winter there we had 28-inches of snowfall...in a single event. I was also was surprised to learn that the digital thermometer in my car displayed negative numbers, a fact of which I was previously unaware. The coldest I recall it displaying was -22 degrees Fahrenheit (without wind-chill). My favorite pipe-smoking venue was my car, for there I could simultaneously enjoy the winter and my tobaccos.

Oct 12, 2014
Grew up in MN but left there many years ago. Now I live in S. Florida. In my house the only time I can smoke INSIDE is in the winter cause we have the windows & the sliders open. :)

Oct 12, 2014
"This morning it was absolutely beautiful outside. The temperature was 27 degrees F."
Yeah, this is exactly why I would never go back. If I woke up to 27f that would be a f-ing tragedy and I would start crying :) Nice article anyway, I can certainly appreciate enjoying the quiet time with the dog & pipe.
Oh, I do remember the Halloween snowstorm, came down so fast we were getting stuck on the snowmobiles cause the trail groomers hadn't yet gone out..

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Being new to this I'm wondering how my first winter here in upstate NY will go. I'm a transplanted Texas boy and my first year hunting here was a rude awaking

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
Welcome Butch. I'm only from Missouri, but this will help me with idea on making it through winter

Status
Not open for further replies.