PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
First id like to say thank you guys for your tobacco recommendations before, i selected some good stuff, I got an awesome new pipe, life is good.
I have a multipronged question. Basically I am seeking healthy longevity in pipe smoking. Currently I take care of my general health, brush, floss, use bioteene sometimes, etc. thats all fine.. But I feel that my greatest weakness is in my smoking technique.
I was wondering 2 things, 1. is it possible to stave off of tounge bite by drinking a cold drink while smoking? Would this actually work?
2. when 1st litting my bike ive learned to take short quick puffs to get the pipe going, its easy to burn your tounge in the beginning. does anyone have any tips for not getting tounge bite after that? even just regular smoking, even if im going slowly and lightly, the gradual build up of constant heat and smoke can burn my mouth. its not always from a quick puff.
3. what about the cooldown, i think it would be smart to do something directly after smoking a pipe to reatore tour mouth asap. maybe a salt rinse or something? any ideas?
let me know what you guys think. I tend to get lazy, and that could cause serious problems for me down the line. might as well reduce the risks and learn early.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Your problems of bite will be reduced if you dry your tobacco considerably before loading, and lighting with less fervor. Packing and tamping are both skills and an art which will come in time.
As to drinking something during and after a bowl, you may wish to just see what works for you, as there are many possibilities.
Enjoy!

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
this helped me out a lot, it's the same thing these guys say all the time. Pretty much just two things
1. Take your time, don't worry about trying to keep it lit.

2. Dry your tobacco out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDOaBcHdrF8

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I do agree the video suggested by Uperepik contains much of useful& practice information,I have watched it multiple times,and yes,some tobacco drying prior to smoke is do find always advisable, avoid tight packing you can always tamp down,and finally as far as beverages goes, personally I do accompagne my smoke with some drink(most always its wiskey soda with some ice cubs)when I'm starting my after dinner smoking session usually with some heavier tobacco in larger chambered bowl,additionally sometimes I find that some green tea refreshing when I'm smoking some bright virginas or spicey Vaper

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
costa226 The cold drink does not help with the tongue burn ... most people enjoy a drink with their pipe, but the reason behind it has nothing to do with reducing burning of the tongue. I recommend researching the breath method. It has worked wonders for me ever since I have "discovered" it. I won't start explaining here, as it is much easier to understand if you watch a video. Try muttnchop piper on you tube, he does a pretty good job in explaining it .. I think he has also uploaded a revised video on the method.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes Youtube videos by Muttnchop are a must to watch for any new or intermediary pipesmoker such as myself,

and what about this so called'breath smoking method'its definitely is worth trying,nevertheless, personally I still can't get into it, primarly because when practicing this very method the smoker has to clench his pipe continuously when smoking this way, correct me if I'm wrong with this my believe.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Drier tobacco, packed looser. Keep the pipe clenched and you'll likely stumble onto a good cadence. Coffee, tea or water here.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
What he said... Make sure the tobacco is adequately dry and keep a beverage near by. I prefer tea. I would not drink alcohol with my pipe since the alcohol will dry the mucosa and make you more susceptible to the harmful stuff in the smoke.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
img_1161-600x400.jpg

:laughat:
I love a stickler for correct English and spelling. Now I can feel less curmudgeonly when I do this to the lazy typists here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yabbut, when I see a post by Jay I look for amusement or edification, not spelling lames. Quite unnecessary, methinks.
Stan's post is right on, and rather ironic given the title of this thread! (u no what I meen????)

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I have 2 pieces of advice about tongue bite.
#1: Smoke more. Your tongue will toughen up over time.
#2: Try different blends with different types of tobaccos. Everyone's chemistry is different and everyone gets bitten by different blends. A lot of people say that virginias bite them and oriental/latakia blends don't. I'm the opposite. Latakia scorches me if I'm not VERY careful with it, but I can smoke any straight virginia blend like a freight train and never have a problem.
FWIW, I almost never dry my tobacco and I still avoid bite just because I smoke blends that don't bite me. Lucky for me, the ones that don't bite me (Va blends) are also the ones I like the most. :D

When I'm litting my bike, I don't neccesarily take short puffs, but that really depends on the bike. :puffy:
You're doing fine, and lotsa great advice here. Practice, practice, smoke more. The more you smoke, the sooner you'll get a style going. Breath smoking is closest summation of what I try to maintain. Wisps of smoke, not puffs and clouds. You want to just savor the flavor, keeping the smoke rolling around you taste buds. Savor it. Puffing out into the air is not going to do anything but waste prescious smoke into the void.

And, when youre enjoying it, no matter what the style, you'll be doing something right. It's all about enjoyment.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
paulie66scandinavian I think it is a misunderstanding ... you don't have to "clench" (which in my book means one has to put an effort to keep mouth strongly shut), as long as your lips are not parted while you breath in and out should be enough. It takes little effort really ..

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On the rare occasions I experience tongue bite it usually abates after a few puffs so I rarely give it much thought.
One thing I have noticed however is that when it does happen it is usually the first smoke of the day, straight after my morning coffee.
Regards,
Jay.

pancakejake

Lurker
Mar 22, 2017
Just my opinion on the subject.
Dry your tobacco. Moisture is often a major culprit in a hot smoke.
Switch tobaccos. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Use a filtered pipe if you aren't already.
Perique. Apparently perique has a quality that some people can associate with tongue bite. I do not smoke perique for this reason. I really want to like Escudo, for example, but it is an unpleasant experience for me.
As for drinks, I usually only drink water, if anything. Water doesn't interfere with the experience of the tobacco and keeps membranes fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.