PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I realize Smoking Metal pipes with briar or meerschaum bowls isn't for everyone and for quite a while I was in that camp, but then I was gifted a Falcon and I let it sit on the shelf, well okay, in a drawer. A little later after that I was going through said drawer and there sat the the Falcon waiting to be smoked at least once so I could chuck it in the trash after giving the college try. So I loaded it and smoked it, and the love affair with metal pipes began. I still love my briars, in fact I have some great new pipes, some amazing estate pipes and a couple of commissions in my stable, but for utilitarian use and pipes that travel extremely well without fear of a broken shank or some other disaster my Metal pipes shine. They are easy to clean (in deference to an other post about water, I routinely use hot water to clean them), I can swap bowls for the blend and style of baccy and keep rolling down the road.
I'm a fan. Here's a small sample of my Metal Pipes.
Here's a Kaywoodie Filter pipe with a clean ceramic filter ready to go. They other is a Kaywoodie that is very similar to Falcon.

Here's some of my Falcons with they interchangeable bowls that are so readily available, with one stem you can have technically a hundred pipes in a box.

Here are some of my Kirstens. I have three different eras of Kirsten. The first pipe is the oldest and it doesn't have "O" rings, it just has very finely machined aluminum for the fit and finish. They also feature a wide variety of bowl sizes and styles.

And Finally the King of Metal, to me, my H. Wiebe pipes. They are what he calls "Radiator" pipes and they smoke just absolutely fantastic. I've smoked 4 bowls back to back before having to clean the well. They clench extremely well and have interchangeable bowls as well as interchangeable bits. The "shank" is stainless steel and it super easy to clean and maintain.

Disclaimer -- I am in no way affiliated with any of the manufacturers, but I do love the metal pipes.
Just so I don't get tarred and feathered by the traditionalists, if you're still reading.....

Heres two dozen gorgeous old Kaywoodies from between 1919-1924...btw, 24 was my goal. And now its on to other pipes, shapes, styles and makers.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To be honest, I would try out any type of pipe someone gifted me. Spending money to try a pipe I suspect I wouldn't like? Probably not. I guess I'm not even a penny poker type of gambler! I've heard good things about metal pipes, just never given much thought to buying one.
That stable of 'Woodies is an eye catcher, though!

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Good stuff ashdigger. Thanks for taking the time to put all the information and pictures together!

laearl

Lurker
Oct 12, 2010
Lower Alabama
hmmm
Very cool! I know where a metal pipe is. I might have to go back and visit the shop just to check it out. I think it is a Dr Grabow I am not sure.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I have two falcons, a straight and a full bent. I also have there kirsten, 2 straight (one is a first generation), and one semi-bent. I have a few spare bowls for ky kirstens, including two meer ones, one unsmoked.I don't have any spare bowls for the Falcons, but I'd like to get a meer-lined or full meer bowl for it.

Mar 1, 2014
A few weeks ago I smoked a Falcon for the first time.
It fell out of my pocket after I dropped the barn key in the dark and by the time I realized what had happened it was thoroughly trampled (thankfully not in any manure, though it was an English blend so it's hard to say if I would have noticed).
I ended up putting an interesting curve in the shank, but nothing broke.

I'm actually kind of surprised at how easily it bends... when you step on it, but I still think it's a toss up whether a regular stem and shank would have done any better.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I do like that chimney/stack bowl you have there. I have a few metal pipes including Falcons. I think they look pretty hideous myself but they do actually smoke very well indeed. I make my own dry rings from pipecleaners and thus fitted they smoke very dry.
Have you ever come across an Alco (Falcon with the first & last letter removed) pipe? Made by the same company however their bowls are not interchangeable.
I also have a rare Duncan Delta metal pipe though unfortunately I only have the one bowl for it and often scan Ebay in the hope of finding another.
Regards,
Jay.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Always considered picking up a Falcon. I kinda dig how low profile they are. My only real issue is they typically do not hit the length preference that I have.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I find this whole presentation absolutely fascinating! Thanks for the pictures of your wonderful and unique hardware section! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.