PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Fact: I’m strangely attracted to ritual. It’s one of the things that I treasure about both being a Freemason and also about church. Even church in it’s more contemporary forms, when it’s done well, has an element of ritual. I think that’s part of the reason pipe smoking is so attractive to me. There’s a ritual to it. Selecting the pipe or tobacco I want to smoke, pairing the two for a good match, preparing the tobacco, packing the pipe, the charring light, the final light, the measured puffs and tamps that take me to the end of the bowl, emptying, cleaning, and putting the pipe carefully back in it’s place. Pipe smoking when done well for me is a ritual - one that leads me into relaxation, meditation, and contemplation. The ritual of the smoke allows me to better connect and better understand both myself and the world in which I live. It gives me that time and space I need to step away and reflect critically. As Plato said in the Apology: The unexamined life is not worth living. The ritual of pipe smoking makes my life worth living.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I have to keep myself in the moment to smoke well. My pipe goes out when my mind wanders.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Same here and since I don't usually smoke anywhere but home, I find most of those times when I try its not a pleasant one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking is definitely a ritual, and most who enjoy it like that about it. Maybe it is good to keep it enough

of a ritual so it doesn't become just "automatic pilot," which is what happens with cigarette smoking, where people

just fade into habitual actions.

I enjoy the ritual and just lighting it and forgetting it's in my clench. There is a ritual in that also, maybe a different one or modified one. Maybe clenchers are another denomination. I do smoke in a more focused manner also, especially the last smoke of the day. I think that there are different types of smoking, and I guess I am trying to explore them all, haha.
Hats also have rituals, taking them off when you go inside somewhere, how I carry it, tipping it in greeting, never put a hat on the bed. I like things that link us with gentlemen of the past. Customs, rituals, taboos, etc.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I'm a clencher too, actually. I dont think that clenching or even not thinking about smoking the pipe detract from it's meditative and ritualistic qualities.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The rituals and routines associated with pipe smoking are very important.

In recent studies, it has been found that repetitive behavior in general, especially ritualistic-like behavior, is not only a human phenomenon but also one in the animal world.

Ritualistic behavior in both humans and animals developed as a way to induce calm and manage stress caused by unpredictability and uncontrollability, heightening our belief that we are in control of a situation that is otherwise out of our hands. I find the pipe to be quite meditative and calming.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For me, it is an adjunct to life. My evening pipes, smoked usually with a good book, are enjoyed in a different manner from the pipes smoked while out with the cameras. This time of year the pipe also warms hand in the cold. If When woodworking or logging on the property, my concentration is more on the work and safety than on the pipe.
I'm just not wired to sit quietly in a comfortable chair and contemplate. I've tried, but I always get the feeling that I'm simply wasting time that could be put to better use. If I have a problem to cogitate on I, I do so in a singular manner, no distractions. A pipe would be a distraction in that scenario.
The great thing about the pipe is that it does fit so smoothly into many aspects of one's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.