Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
So I have been smoking about 3 bowls a day on average since I discovered the wonderful world of English blends back in November. Before that, I would smoke about a bowl a week or less. I have discovered that I am getting pipe smoking burnout. I am not tasting the flavors of milder blends so I reach for the heartier blends to get it back. I think I am in saturation mode as the heartier blends are washed out as well. I think some use Virginia blends during these periods. However, I think I need to cut back in the amount of times I smoke so that pipe smoking doesn't become routine and dull. It needs to be savored like a good Scotch or steak. I think part of my increase is I want to try all these blends out there.
Anyone else go through this?
Jason

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You don't say how many pipes you're using. . . If you're constantly smoking the same one or two pipes, that's likely to lead to very muddled flavors and, possibly, a sour pipe that will need some serious cleaning. If you haven't given your pipes a thorough cleaning lately (something I do -- using Bacardi 151, a pipe brush, and as many pipe cleaners as it takes -- about twice a year, since my smoking is spread out among a number of pipes), then it's time to do that; you'd be amazed how much the cleanliness of a pipe can affect the flavors you're getting in the bowl.
Also, it might be worth mentioning that I enjoy moving between blends throughout the day. I typically smoke 3-4 bowls a day, and some days I start off with a rich English or Balkan and then switch to a Virginia flake in the afternoon. Other days, I might start off with something quite mild and then build up to heartier blends later in the day.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I find that if I start out the day with stronger Latakia blends, that any lighter Lat blends smoked later in the day become rather bland tasting, so I try to start off light and go with the stronger or fuller blends later in the day. Give it a try, it may work for you.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I am using about 16 different pipes so I have a rotation going. I usually do start of with something milder. I cleaned my pipes about 2 months ago but I do reach for the same ones a little more frequently. Maybe I just need a good cleaning again.
Jason

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Jason I had the same issue when trying Virginia's and not finding any flavor at all. Part of my problem is that I think my taste buds were dulled(partially from a burned tongue that never fully healed). I took a break for a week and man do things taste better.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jason,
I have gone through the same thing.
Take a break for as long as you can manage without discomfort - say 1 to 3 weeks.
During this time, put a lot of effort into cleaning your pipes. Make sure they are sweet and fresh and as clean as a pipe can be.
When you resume smoking, stick to 5-6 bowls a week with not more than 2 bowls in a single day.
Sometimes we just have to reboot.
If you are not heavily addicted to nicotine, a long break like the one listed above should recharge your enthusiasm for your pipes.
Some people don't need a break and can enjoy 5-10 bowls a day without any diminishing pleasure.
It sounds, though, like you would be happier with fewer, but more enjoyable bowls...
Give it a try.
(Just my opinion - latakia blends are far more taxing on the palate than Virginia or burley blends)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
simenon wrote:
(Just my opinion - latakia blends are far more taxing on the palate than Virginia or burley blends)
I guess my experience differs from that. I find that burley blends tend to coat my tongue, while latakia has no impact on my taste buds whatsoever. And Virginia-forward blends, depending on the blend, can be a little irritating if not smoked carefully.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I guess it all depends what we talk about when we talk about burley...
If its Prince Albert, then yes, I agree that it coats the mouth. (All of the codgers I've come across for that matter) My reference burley blend is Wessex Burley Slices and I find it is very different and much cleaner tasting.
VA blends - well that totally depends on your smoking style and body chemistry.
If done right, they are easily the mildest of them all.
There are always exceptions: some can't handle the reds, others find the whole works to be bitey.
Personally, I find latakia to impart a horrible ashy aftertaste at times and I find it to be more problematic in terms of all day smoking.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I guess it all depends what we talk about when we talk about burley...
Gotta ask: Is that a Raymond Carver reference? If so, kudos! Never thought I'd run across one of those here. (If not. . . well, um, never mind.)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
LOL - I didn't expect for it to be noticed, either, but you got me.
I have always been a fan of his stories.
(That particular construction is a favourite of headline writers everywhere, so its not THAT rare to see)

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
It needs to be savored like a good Scotch or steak.

-This is my thinking exactly! One or two days up to weeks can go by between my smokes.
Not my thinking - I have one or two glasses of good scotch and a variable number of pipes every day. Thoroughly enjoy every bit of every one. And I don't notice any loss of flavors, nor do I notice a hidden surprise of flavors after a few terribly sad days when I'm forced to go without one, the other, or God forbid both!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I am old enough to remember the old cigarette commercial question: "Are you smoking more and enjoying it less?"

Thought that this pertained to cigs only. Guess I was wrong.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
undecagon,
How long have you been smoking? If you are a newcomer, I would wait a few years before I made such a declaration.
Smoking will likely impair you senses more and more with time. If you don't notice it, perhaps it has been working very subtly. In that case, enjoy your blessing.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I came to the same realization years ago and went from smoking 3 bowls a day to once a week and then to once a day and now I'm at about 4 or five times a week. I just get tired of anyone thing that I do too much of. moderation is a wonderful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.