Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I never thought I would like it. I just fired up some Mclelland's Black Woods Flake (wanted to over labor day but wasn't able to) in an Edwards from a local antique store. It smelled like a particularly vinegar heavy ketchup. The smoke tastes like the tin smelled. I really like it. The sweet/sour taste and cool burning are really doing the trick. It is a real surprise favorite and I got it by accident. I asked the clerk at the tobacconist for a blend with perique and that's what he gave me.
In short, if you want a really tasty Virginia and a good place to jump into them. Try this.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
This sounds interesting. Kinda odd, but something I might look into, just for kicks.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm glad you like it but it sounds like the clerk screwed up.
There is no perique in Blackwoods Flake to the best of my knowledge.
I haven't had it but I've read dozens of reviews regarding this blend. Hopefully those with firsthand experience can chime in about the constituent tobaccos.
I've only had 5100 and that is a great smoke, McVinegar/ketchup note aside. It is most present in the tin/jar note and it can also subtly ghost a pipe... With 1.5 years of age on it, I would recommend 5100 as a beautiful sugary sweet red VA with a nice background tanginess... If I could get it for a better price, I'd stock up - I'm going to try my hand with Blackwoods instead.
A lot of the reviews speak of "barbecue" flavours and that honestly doesn't sound too bad in my books...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lots of folks like the signature McVinegar thing. Many hate it as much. I liked it at first, but it got old pretty quickly.

Usually a short DGT will dissipate the acidic taste, after which the Va.'s come through clearly.

BTW, no Perique in BWF, just red and black stoved Va.

Aug 1, 2012
I found out it didn't have perique when I got it home and started researching it. That's why it was a bit of an accident. A happy accident.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It has countless positive reviews.
Buy a few extra tins if your budget can allow it and put them aside for a couple of years. I'm sure you will be happy with the money and time you invested...

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Been a while since I tried a ketchuppy vinegary McClelland Virginia. I remember having a love hate relationship with the stuff before I just gave up. Now, after this post, I want some again...go figure. Blackwoods Flake is a nice tobacco indeed as is Dark Star. 5100 I found, did not have a strong ketchup/vinegar element to it, but was a very nice all day Virginia.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't like ketchup. Never have.

I don't even put it on French Fries.

Can't get past the smell.

Doesn't sound like a blend I would even try.

I love VaPers, but I don't think I could get past that Tin Note.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I assumed when I saw the thread title that this would be another anti-ketchup post. Glad to see you found a blend you like!
(I'm not pro-ketchup myself...)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Here we go again.

The note from McClelland is simply that of aging tobacco. I have never noticed any "catsup" taste to the blends. And Blackwoods Flake is certainly not a VaPer. it's straight Virginia.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
That smell would go away after some time and I have never felt ketchup taste while smoking McClelland virginias.

Blackwoods flake is one of my top 3 tobaccos and I smoke only virginias and Va/pers... it is THAT good imo.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Ages ago I smoked McClelland before giving up due to the bite, which after a discussion with Cigrmaster was the Red VAs they use. The ketchup smell does go away after a bit of air time.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jud,
A lot of people have noticed the smell regardless of what it is.
There is a reason why everyone compares McClelland to ketchup and you seldom if ever hear it talked about with other tobaccos. There is a certain crop/process/additive they use that seems to give their products an identifiable smell. The "vinegar" antifungal rumour has been debunked from what I've heard but I'll be a monkey's uncle if those blends don't smell like ketchup to my nose...

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Blackwoods flake is a winner. And about the McClelland ketchup odor, it doesn't bother me at all. I really like it actually. If you want to try a good McClelland Va/Per, get you a tin of their St. James Woods. It's a great smoke IMHO.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The smell of the ketchup does not translate into the taste. I like the taste of many MC virginia's but I cannot smoke them do to the acid burn I get from them. It is really a shame because their bulk prices are fantastic and they do produce quality blends.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm no Cortez ;) but Delayed Gratification Technique is where you set the pipe down for an extended period after partially smoking the bowl and then you relight some time after... I hear of it mostly used with Virginias, but either way it changes the flavour/character of the smoke somewhat. I am not a big fan of this technique but there are plenty of people who do it.
Cigarmaster, I do not experience your problem with the acidity of the smoke but I can understand how it can happen. I agree though that the smell does not transfer to the taste, but I do find that it lingers on in the pipe. You can easily tell my 5100 cob from the rest of the rotation!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
(D)elayed (G)ratification (T)echnique. The Practice of smoking a bowl of tobacco (best results for me seem to be straight Virginias) about a third or more of the way through and then letting it go out for hours or over night before smoking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.