PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Do you guys have a smoke room in your house? What are the drawbacks as far as cleanliness for the walls/windows/etc.....Or what other things are their to consider before smoking indoors? I live in Michigan so outdoor smoking can be troublesome sometimes haha.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I have always smoked at home and until the last few years before retirement at work!
I have windows that open. Air conditioning. And an air cleaner for my office computer room,
I haven't smoked aros since 1962. Usually eng or Balkan or va. Wife usually tolerant over last 50years shel. Where in michiga

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I wish I could use my office/den as a smoking room, but in house smoking for me is not an option.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Were it just me, I would smoke in my home; however, I have my wife and dogs to consider, so I do not. While on assignment in Rochester, Minnesota I had an apartment in which I could smoke - it was grand!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I smoke in closed-in, 4 season porch/man cave. No drawbacks at all - especially when it is cold, snowing, raining or muggy.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I smoke in my home office (I love in a detached house). Usually with the window and door closed. I usually have a Lamp Berger running while smoking and a bit after. When people come to visit they comment on how nice the room smells!! I don't smoke any aros (English - Bulkan, Vapers, and a lot of Irish Flake!).
The

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you smoke inside the smoke permeates all the surfaces. No amount of ventilation will keep that from happening. It's in the paint, carpet, drapes and other fabrics. You just live with it. As the smoker you will not notice the change so no problem for you, until you want to sell the property. Visitors will notice the stench immediately. This can be a positive or a negative depending on you relationship with the visitors.
Much as perfume, BO, etc, the reeking aroma can be attractive or off putting.
Unless you wear a smoking jacket and cap, and have no facial hair you carry the stench where ever you go so you do not notice it. My big, ol' handlebar is naturally grey. A few hours after a shower it is somewhat yellow and I'm sure smells of what ever blends I've been smoking. It just comes with the territory like the tiny holes in your pants and shirt. It's just part and parcel of the "hobby" as some so gently refer to pipe smoking.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I live in glorious Ann Arbor home of the maize and blue. Shel
Bought my first pipe and tobacco from Buzz Winston at A^2 Tobacconist on South U by U Towers next door to Orange Julius. At the time he was partners with Jimmy Edwards of Maison Edwards Tobacconist in Nichols Arcade off State St.
Oh and I don't smoke indoors. Don't want to expose wifey or the dogs to secondhand smoke. Moved out of MI in the 90s.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
Cigars in the basement were permeating the whole house once the smoke reached the furnace; and winters can be rough in the Midwest, so the middle ground was pipe tobacco and that is actually what got me a lot deeper in the hobby.(Now that it is getting nicer out I will likely be phasing more and more towards smoking cigars outside though)
My wife and I both enjoy the smell of a good pipe tobacco, so I smoke in the living room. I have a bowl a day, and while I know it is leaving a funk everywhere it is not something that either of us have found to be offensive enough to even really notice. I feel the smell of dog is more at the forefront when walking into the room.(not an bad dog smell, but can tell there is a dog in the house)
I occasionally will use a lampe berger, which I would highly recommend, if I expect company in the near future.
And we will end up putting a fresh coat of paint on everything if we were ever going to sell, so I am not worried about that hurting us later down the road.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Just finished turning one of the upstairs bedrooms into my smoking room. Step son left for Lackland AFB for basic training last month, so I re-painted the room and moved myself and my smoking stuff in.

I have a sliding rocker in the corner beside the window, and use a Marvin double fan window unit to pull the smoke out. Works great. And it's pretty quiet. I can put on some LP's and sit back and relax.

As far as selling this place in the future, I don't think it will be much of a problem. They can always repaint, or whatever if it bothers them that much. Actually I don't give a damn about whoever might want to buy my house. I am going to enjoy it while I live here. That's what your home is for.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I am fortunate that my darling wife enjoys my pipe smoking so I smoke indoors in the living room and the rec room. Try to smoke outdoors as much as possible when the weather is good. :puffy:

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Yeah, pipe smoke is nothing compared to cigar smoke, darn it. Intentionally start with cigars and they will welcome the pipe indoors with open arms. I've used 2 lampe berger's for years now.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"At the time he was partners with Jimmy Edwards of Maison Edwards Tobacconist in Nichols Arcade off State St."
Maison Edwards is one of my favorite brick-and-mortar tobacconist shops, and I try to visit it every time I am in the vicinity of Ann Arbor.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
That was around 40 yrs ago, I really don't recall the name Jonas. The only ones I bought that I remember specifically were a Peterson P-Lip smooth bent and a Savinelli Punto Oro sandblast billiard. Buzz had formerly been a tobacco rep, and was a font of information on pipes and tobacco, but he no longer smoked at all. That store was on my way to and from campus my freshman and sophomore years and I stopped in quite often. Nickels Arcade is on the other side of campus from where I lived and where most of my classes were so I didn't stop by much. And Jimmy wasn't much of a talker. His wife Augusta (a "war bride" he met in Italy during WWII) was a sweetheart though. She was multilingual and spoke fluent French and I don't think we ever had a conversation in English.

Jun 4, 2014
The wife doesn't say anything when I smoke my pipes in my basement workshop, cigars are a different story. When the weather is bad and I want a cigar I open up one of bilco doors and set up a fan blowing out. Or I make the trek to the garage. I have plans for a smoking room in the basement, but it hasn't happened yet.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Shutterbug sounds like you were an engineering type. I lived on west side of campus Econ and music. Shel

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks guys, given that I will be a new dad in a week or so, i will probably keep to smoking outside or the garage. Will just need to invest in a nice propane heater for the winter months......

Status
Not open for further replies.