PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
I ask this because yesterday I trekked out to the garage to sit in a reclining zero gravity chair and enjoy a bowl while watching it rain. When I was heading out, my wife asked me if it was okay to smoke a pipe inside the house. I am tentative because I have two young kids (3 and 1), but most of the time I smoke after they go to sleep. I have a two-fold question for everyone. First, anyone have any opinions about smoking pipes in a house with children, even if they won't be in the room you are smoking in? Second, if you do smoke inside, how does the smell compare to cigarettes or cigars? I never smoked cigars inside because stale cigar smoke in an enclosed area is brutal.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
All of our children are grown and out on there on, so I do smoke inside. The only thing my wife says is that a strong Latakia blend seems to linger. That being said, I don't smoke inside where there are children, and if mine were still small I wouldn't here. I just don't like the idea of it, not saying anyone is right or wrong for the way they see it, I just wouldn't.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
trailboss-my wife is pretty cool about the whole thing. I gave up a two pack a day cigarette habit six years ago, so she is ok with my few cigars per week and daily pipe ritual. They fact that we work opposite shifts, she works days and goes to school and I work nights, probably has something to do with it. That is an hour we can enough together if I smoke the pipe in the house.

I smoke in the house, even my girlfriend's, even friends have asked me to light up in theirs. But, when my girls were younger and I was smoking cigarettes, smoking outside was a way for me to regulate my smoking and for their consideration. But, now that they're teens, they can leave if it bothers them. But, it smells great. I would never smoke a Latakia inside. But, Virginias and VaPers have an herbally aroma that we all seem to like. Not like cigarettes at all. Maybe a single-minded tobacco nazi would say differently, but my nazi girlfriend converted to our side of the fence when I gave up cigarettes for the pipe.

I would suggest keeping it away from the kids for now. Soon enough, they'll be buying their own cigarettes and smoking them with their friends in parking lots away from parental eyes like we did as kids.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I don't smoke in the house because of my 1 year old. There are a few blends, mostly aromatics, that my wife would be fine with but I avoid it because of the kiddo. If I had a bigger house and there was a study or a man cave, I'd consider it, but not as things are now.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I don't smoke inside either. But if I need to run into the house to get something/refill my beer, then I don't have a problem bringing it in for a moment or two.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I don't smoke inside either. I wouldn't even if the wife said it was ok. I too have a couple little ones running around.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'm lucky in that my wife set up a smoking room for me in the basement. She decorated it, then I installed a bathroom fan to exhaust the smoke to the outside.
I smoke outside this time of year, but will retreat to my smoking room when the snow flies.
I have kids under ten, and don't smoke in the rest of the house. They know not to disturb me when I'm in the smoking room. No second hand smoke outside the room, some solitude for me, problem solved.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'm lucky in that my wife set up a smoking room for me in the basement. She decorated it, then I installed a bathroom fan to exhaust the smoke to the outside.
I smoke outside this time of year, but will retreat to my smoking room when the snow flies.
I have kids under ten, and don't smoke in the rest of the house. They know not to disturb me when I'm in the smoking room. No second hand smoke outside the room, some solitude for me, problem solved.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My wife doesn't mind my pipe in the house. I do however have two small children and one teenager. I got in the routine of smoking in the garage when my daughter was born but will occasionally smoke in the house in the evening once the kids are in bed. My youngest is 4 now and I will probably start smoking indoors more frequently as she gets older.

macattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2012
I would like to have a designated room for smoking. Lucky you. I tried the garage but the winters here in Buffalo get a bit nasty.

buffalopat

Lurker
Jul 15, 2014
Hey macattack, I'm in Buffalo as well. Hence the name. Winter is brutal in the garage even with a space heater.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I pretty much always smoke in my house, in my rec room. We have no kids.
The last week, I took it outside to the back yard a few times and really enjoyed it. We've had great weather here this summer, and it hasn't been as windy as it usually is here in Ottawa.

Mar 1, 2014
-yaddy306
That's the way to do it.
I've been wondering why bars don't just install high volume ventilation systems in order to allow smoking indoors (if the lobbyists could be bothered).
For me second hand smoke is almost as much a worry as first hand. Ideally no smoke will ever enter your lungs.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I smoke inside as its usually just me and the wife. I open a window if possible. No kids, just cats(should I be concerned about their lungs too). Usually smoke Butternut Burley or OGS.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I smoke in my house, but i only smoke one pipe a day. I always smoke after my 4 year old has gone to bed. I just open a few windows and enjoy a pipe while watching TV. My living room is tile floor and I have leather couches, so I really don't notice any lingering smell after about an hour. By the next morning you can't tell that I have smoked in the den at all. I never smoke in the house outside of that situation.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
My parents smoked cigarettes and it is my opinion that one cigarette and leave a smell for months. I have received mail that smelled like a cigarette before. When I was a kid people use to throw cigarettes in the urinals at restaurants and other places and the smell of that little cigarette butt could be horrible. I think pipes are much better. :)

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
It's funny how perceptions and attitudes change over time. As a kid growing up my grandmother always smoked in the house and there was no thinking twice about it. This was in the 60s. My parents didn't smoke but they never said anything to my grandmother about not smoking when I stayed over a weekend at my grandmothers place. I never once gave it another thought, never thought it smelled bad, never coughed or gagged,(neither did my two brothers), that kind of thing. When we would go grocery shopping and she'd buy a carton of cigarettes, I always enjoyed taking them out of the carton and stacking them inside a console that she kept them in. Of course now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes, but I do love the smell of pipe tobacco. I think each parent has to make the decision for their household, and their children. Some kids may have asthma, or respiratory problems, and this would not be good for their conditions. But if they're healthy I don't see a problem if the parents want to smoke in the house. This is just my opinion, after having reflected on things after growing up, and I realize each situation can be different. I just think it's interesting how perceptions and attitudes change over time :puffpipe:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I may be getting a room in the basement in the next few months. I've already been told that it cannot be a smoking room ... too bad. I got plans for it and everyone of them involves me smoking in it.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
My dad smoked a pipe all day, every day until he died. My mom smoked cigarettes until she was 80. Until 1988 or so, I worked in an office with 3 cigar smokers, half a dozen cigarette smokers, and me smoking my pipe all day long. I guess, by rights, I should already be dead from "secondhand smoke".

Status
Not open for further replies.