Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
This winter I decided to start smoking indoors. It's too cold outside. I have no wife, and only teenage children who should "suffer" through the smoke after all I've done for them. I crack a window, light some Yankee candles and off I go. It's wonderful. I love sitting on my big couch watching a movie, reading, etc. and smoking my pipe.
I have a hot sexy girlfriend (love of my life, and future wife) who spends a few nights a week. She loves the aroma's of certain tobaccos. Also, I'm not that mean to the kids. A tobacco with a room note makes it better for them as well. I don't enjoy aromatics that much, I prefer VA blends. Sometimes, I mix aromatics with other tobaccos and have had some success (Lane TK-6 + PS Bulls-eye, GLP Odyssey + Lane 1Q). I have found that PS Luxury Twist Flake and McClelland Bulk: 2000 - Fragrant Matured Cake seem to do the best job of satisfying my tastes and pleasing the room.
Based upon the above, I would like to know if anyone has further suggestions?

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Suggestions? No, I wouldn't change a damn thing. When enjoying a pipe with others I have noticed that the key for "others" is simple. Find an aro that you don't mind and the "others" like. Then when smoking around said "others" I would add either a cap or a little ribbon of the said aro to any bowl that I am smoking. My better half and kids have never minded, my spouse has actually grown to like the aroma of VA, Vapers, and light English blends.
But, then again she grew up with a father and a grandfather that where both cigar men, so I smell magical by comparison. :)
And as always the rule of heavy English blends should not be burned around said "others".

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I smoke a lot of lakeland flakes, virginia's, and burley's. I have had complaints about the room note of all, except one that no one minds, and I even get many compliments on from my mother and brother. Surprisingly, that one is Prince Albert. So if you like it, I might suggest Prince Albert. That is the blend I typically take to parties, as I can also share some as it also makes a great RYO cigarette, if not the best I've ever smoked.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Emptied my bowl today after smoking OGS and it continued to burn in ashtray. I told my wife that it smelled pretty good! She said " I didn't even notice it"

I've got two teenage girls, but they rarely ever come out of their rooms, lol.
If you like a nice sweet Virginia or VaPer with a hint of apple, but not like an aro apple, but lightly cavendish'd as in the P Stokkebye Luxury Twist, try any of the Former blends. They are usually lower in price and have a great flavor. Plus, I've gotten nothing but great comments from the girls. They also age very well. Great with a glass of sweet iced tea.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I smoke inside, with scant regard for room note. But when Miss Perique is about, here's what I smoke because here's what she likes:
310 Battleground

Savinelli Cavendish

Mac Baren Golden Extra

Pipeworks & Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish, No. 191, Rumcake

Gatlin-Burlier Mountain Mall Mix

McClelland Holiday Spirit (various vintages)

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
My wife barely tolerates my smoking cigars indoors; I'm allowed to smoke Montecristos, but not C.A.O. Brazilias. Pipe tobacco, on the other hand, she likes. And she really likes Brigham's Maple Vanilla and Blatter & Blatter 1907 and Executive.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
A man cave can be any size. Find or make a place and create one. Smoke eaters come in a wide price range and many use them. I have a fairly large man cave that includes a wood shop, multiple computers, big screen, couch plus an air filtration system that circulates the room six times an hour. I just fire up the Lampe Berger with cinnamon when guests are expected it's more effective, quicker and cost efficient compared to candles.
In PA I'm trapped there, the cold is a killer for me. In the summer everything is wide open and I'm smoking by the pool. I do have great neighbors that buy me cigars a couple times a year. May have something to do with using the pool. When driving and get "that look", I just give a nod and a smile :wink:
I would never smoke anything based on room-note appealing to others. If you like a blend mixture you've made, that's why you should be smoking it. I smoke VA/VaPers which doesn't have great room-note appeal, and not a fan of putting peanut butter in my chocolate. :puffy:
Craig

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I smoke indoors in my "cave," which is my ham shack that doubles as a home office a few days each month. I have one of those cheap plastic window fans that I use as an exhaust fan whenever I smoke, and absolutely no smoke leaves the room. My wife is allergic to smoke and even she is able to drop in for a few minutes while I'm smoking. I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that room note isn't an issue at my house, but I do get opinions on various tobaccos.
My go-to blends, in order of preference, are H&H Anniversary Kake, Fragrant Matured Kake, OGS and University Flake. I smoke Boswell and Mac Baren aromatics occasionally, like Boswell's Best, 7 Seas Regular and Vanilla Cream. However, I've been told that the room notes from Vanilla Cream and FMK are pleasing; I generally receive no comments on OGS and the other VAs, but AK gets a thumbs down (I don't care, it's my favorite).

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I envy you guys. My wife and daughter have asthma and any smoke at all just sets them off (even on my clothes). So I am sent to the porch or deck to smoke the pipe. Normally I can tolerate the cold down to pretty cold temps (I've been out there this winter in the single digits). But when it gets below that, I just have to quit. I don't mind the outdoors, as we live in the sticks and I enjoy watching the wildlife on the property and just communing with nature while smoking.
Others have made the comment that "damn the wife and kid and smoke indoors anyway". Yes, I love to smoke, but not at their health's expense. Sometimes there is a give-and-take that has to occur. But Spring/Summer/Fall will be here soon and my tobacco cellar will get emptied a lot faster I'm afraid. :)
:puffy:

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I smoke in my house during the winter, outside other months. Here in Michigan, the winter has been exceptionally long, cold and snow filled. My pipes sit on a bookcase near my front door in the living room and adds to the 'room note' even when not smoking. I have a couple of candles I light if the smoke lingers too strongly.
My girlfriend likes the smell, my daughter (when visiting) doesn't mind either and I have had friends compliment the room notes as I puff. Life is good, but I am looking forward to sitting on my porch again, it is a special place with or without a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.