PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Since I've taken up the pipe I've been relegated to smoking outside. However, it's hot, muggy, and the mosquitos are terrible (especially in the evening). I would really prefer to smoke inside until it turns a bit cooler, but I don't want to stink up the house too much and I also have a family to think about. I have a few tobaccos (MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake, Larson Signature, 1-Q,) that get high marks for room note in another thread on this forum. While I know aros smell nice at first, will that lingering smell turn stale like cigarette smoke, or will it leave the house smelling pleasant? The second-hand smoke thing also is a concern, but I would be smoking downstairs in a different part of the house with the windows open, so I don't think my family would be breathing in anything harmful. Any thoughts on this?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I smoke in doors on occasion, the lingering smell goes away, especially if a window is open. But I should qualify this to - I smoke in my house proper on occasion. The rest of the time I smoke in my air conditioned workshop where the wife can't bitch about the smell.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It's a tough one. I smoke indoors sometimes - usually with the window open and a fan blowing the smoke outdoors and after my daughters have gone to bed. I grew up in the 60s - 70s with second hand smoke (car trips with the windows mostly closed, to every single day in the house) for years. Personally I think the threat is overrated (tho I still don't want to subject my kids to it).
I've tried numerous things, from smoking aros to incense to air purifiers - nothing really worked because my family just doesn't like the smoke - plain and simple - no matter what it smelled like. And the the next day the smell is a bit stale - I don't mind it much, but the family does.
There's not much more you can do but to smoke near a window with a large floor fan set to exhaust - this option has worked very well for me this summer. There is absolutely no tobacco smell the next day.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
ON occasion I smoke indoors and I purchased a Lampe Berger from my local tobacconist. It seems to work wonders and when I have smoked indoors after running that lamp for a half hour nobody knows the difference. The Lampe Berger was patented in the early 1900's and was used in France to purify the air in morgues back in the day. My son has some pet allergies and when I use the lamp all his symptoms go away.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I smoke outside for the very same reason. However, you may choose to set up a spot in the garage. I know the garage can be awful at times but its an alternative. I converted my third car garage to a "man cave". I can smoke in there all I want. And it will be great for when the weather turns wet/cold.
Another option (if you don't have/like the garage)is to designate a room in your house. You can always shut the door, windows open, and puff away. Some people on the forums have commented on the purchase an air purifier. I don't have one but it seems like a good idea if your smoking indoors. But I think over time if you smoke inside the furniture will begin to smell like stale smoke.
A final option is to kick out the old lady and kids.... :puffy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I only smoke indoors in my basement with a fan running and the windows open. I do this all year. In the summertime it's easier since you can leave the windows open for much longer than in winter. (I'm in Canada.) There is often a lingering smell, but if I'm away for work for a few days I rarely smell a thing when I get back. As you can imagine, this can be blend specific as some tend to hang around in the room longer. My wife is not pipe friendly, but tolerant. (Not her choice anyways, but I digress...) I choose to have my pipe when she is away for work even though she has never asked me specifically to do so. My pipe time is my quiet time so it works out just fine. Right now she works nights until 10pm, so I enjoy my pipes more often than usual in the evenings lately.
I also use a Lampe Berger, but I've only needed it in winter for the above reasons. It works like a charm, although it may take you awhile to find a scent you like. I actually prefer the "neutral" scent.
Also- I recently removed the carpet in my basement rec room and replaced it with resilient vinyl tile. The difference in lingering smells is astounding. Vast improvement! Something to think about if you have the means to do so. The room looks real sharp with the new floors too. Always a plus with the Missus. If you manage to start smoking inside, be prepared to keep whatever room you use clean. Walls, floors etc. Sometimes even just a bowl of vinegar will clear the air, depending on the size of your room. Cheers!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke indoors every day and every night and when I am done I spray the house with Ozium original scent. I buy it at Walmart in their automotive department where they sell air fresheners. It removes all smells and I have been using it since the 70's.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I always have and just live with a little lingering smell, wife isn't a huge fan, but she makes it alright. Then I saw Harris^^^^ post before about this Ozium stuff. I saw it and knew like any other miracle working such an such it wouldn't work. Decided to put it to the test to disprove it. I smoked a large bowl of nightcap with all the windows closed. Finished it off and sprayed the ozium about 30 minutes before she got home. After she had been there about 15 minutes I asked if she had smell anything and sje couldn't tell a bit. It's an. Actual working miracle worker aur sanitizer in a can. I'm impressed.

B

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
ON occasion I smoke indoors and I purchased a Lampe Berger from my local tobacconist. It seems to work wonders and when I have smoked indoors after running that lamp for a half hour nobody knows the difference. The Lampe Berger was patented in the early 1900's and was used in France to purify the air in morgues back in the day. My son has some pet allergies and when I use the lamp all his symptoms go away.
Just looked into the "LAMPE BERGER" this thing sounds really neat and my wife and I decided to purchase one. I look forward to smoking in the house in the winter months and she looks forward to having something nice in the rec room.
Thanks brdavidson I have never heard of this product before.

Dec 24, 2012
I only smoke in my office and my man cave, which are detached from our house. I use the Lampe Berger and Ozium. I also just bought a air purifier - it set me back around $900, but man does it ever work.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Peck, I've fooled around with smaller, cheaper air systems and shouldn't have been surprised when they didn't do anything. I'd like to hear more about the air purifier you're using, if you please.
JJ

Dec 24, 2012
The one I bought for my home office is the Blueair 650E http://us.blueair.com/air-purifiers/600-series
You really have to shop around - some places were selling the 650E for as much as $1500. I paid $900. The biggest expense are the filters - I got the special smokestop filters - a year's supply was around $150. You get 8 activated charcoal filters in a package - the unit takes 4 and they have to be replaced at 6 month intervals.
I am sure you could get it cheaper than $900 in the US, since everything is more expensive in Canada.

Dec 24, 2012
Re the Lampe Berger, it does work in the sense that it masks the smoke but some suggest that is all it does. Still, it is great when you want to get a nice smell that lasts a long while. I used to buy the burning solution - which is very expensive - but after reading some threads on here I have begun to make my own. I purchased some high quality essential oils and mix them with 99% iso alcohol and it works perfectly and is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the alcohol solution made by Lampe Berger.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
I often smoke inside and I've never really had a problem with the smell lingering. If I ever feel the smell is hanging around I just open a window and it seems to disappear pretty soon.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I must be in the minority but love the lingering smell of pipe tobacco in the house. Luckily, so does Mrs Perique. It's such a great, unique, scent - and full of old fashioned imagery. If I didn't smoke a pipe I would have to invite someone over to smoke from time to time ;) I actually like the lingering aroma of cigar smoke too, but there's something special about a room steadily dosed with pipe tobacco smoke.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
In the heat of summer and the coldest of winter I smoke indoors. The wife rarely issues a complaint. This am I'm on the porch by choice. I do open a window to help dissapate the smoke. I also smoke in my den.

Status
Not open for further replies.