PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I know a lot of you guys are all day puffers and plenty of you do it inside.
What does smoking a pipe inside regularly do to a room compared to cigarettes?
I have never had the experience of going to a fellow pipe smokers home, though I have been in plenty of cigarette smokers homes and have to say the experience was not something I enjoyed. I would much rather smoke inside once the Texas summer is in full swing but do not want to ruin a room in my brand new house. So whats the effects. Major lingering odor? Wall stain? Burning eyes? These are all things that I have experienced with a cigarette smokers house.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Well, our home here in Hilo has open windows and ( during the day ) open doors....I smoke my pipes only indoors.... there is no lasting vapors or odors....Life is good.... :puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
One and the same . The key is to wash the walls and ceiling with Mr Clean or Spic and Span twice a year . Get yourself a truck brush with a handle and a big bucket . Makes it easier . My wife gets the carpet done after we wash the walls .Curtains must also be cleaned . I smoke inside but I also keep a clean house . My office gets the worst of it so I put a 2 inch pvc pipe in the wall with a fan connected to it , drafts the smoke out of the room up into the attic . If you ever wash your kitchen ceiling you would truely be amazed at the gook .

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I smoke indoors. There is a pipe aroma. Some tobaccos are stronger and the aroma is longer lasting. I personally hate cig odors but I really like the aroma of pipe tobacco. I smoke in a room with many potted plants. The plants naturally condition the air and the pipe aroma is not long lasting. Aros and English/Balkan blends tend to dissipate fast. Blends with cigar leaf such as C&D Billy Bud tend to linger much longer. If you run a toaster in your kitchen or roast a chicken in the oven, the pipe aroma is instantly overtaken and gone.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I too always have the windows open and a fan on. So I don't notice to much if any odor. But I also live in a climate which allows me to always have windows open. And I live on the second floor. I wish I was ambitious enough to wash the walls. Maybe one day ill give it a try. : )

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Back when it was winter and I was reluctant to keep the windows open there was a lingering tobacco smell that wasn't all that enjoyable, but it's gone now that it's a bit warmer and I can keep the windows open when smoking (as far as I can tell). I recently ordered a product similar to lampe berger (one of these) and hoping it'll let me keep my windows a bit less opened in the future, but we'll see how it fares. :)

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I've been smoking a pipe in the same room every day for about nine months with no lasting affects to the aroma of room. No one has yet been able to tell that I smoke a pipe the next day (even visitors). The lasting effects of pipe smoke compared to cigarette smoke is like comparing the lasting aroma of tangerines to sardines.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
William: It would be interesting to know what kind of ventilation you have, how often and what kind of cleaning you do and if you have any air fresheners and plants. To me it's quite desirable not to have the apartment smell too much of tobacco, but as mentioned unless I have the windows open the smell will linger, smoking 2-5 bowls a day.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
nemrod, maybe it's just our house. We have central heating & air, rarely open the windows, no special cleaning, fresheners, or plants. However, about 3 1/2 years ago I insisted on removing all carpet from the house and incidentally went without a sinus infection for the same amount of time (I used to get them twice a year, every year).

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Hmm I see. I've got a fluffy carpet right under the sofa where I sit and smoke - I suppose both of them suck up the smoke if there's no proper ventilation and that that could be a main culprit. Thanks (and congrats on not having to deal with the sinus infections anymore!) :)

jimmyg

Lurker
Apr 5, 2011
Im same as Nemrod, i have the door open whenever possible,the windows are open all day too,but i too have a oil burner which eliminates all tobacco odours they are really good the oil can be hard on your wallet tho, also we wash the cellings twice a yr with a flat mop hot soapey water and bleach that does the job,

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I just smoke away. Usually my windows are closed, as is my door. And my room tends to have a nice, barely noticeable aroma of pipe. After I smoke, the smell usually lingers in strength for a few hours, unless it is a strong aro like Mid-day. That particular tobacco tends to linger for about 12 hours.

Basically, I would sum it up that pipe smoking essentially doesn't leave an odor, and I'm quite confident of this...I rent.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Basically, I would sum it up that pipe smoking essentially doesn't leave an odor, and I'm quite confident of this...I rent.

I would lean this way - I smoke in my office, and have never had a client complain about a lingering odour (don't tell WCB!). I think a large part of the lingering stench with any tobacco product is foul crap in the ashtray, which pipes don't produce like cigarettes (or, to a smaller degree, cigars)...I know if I walk into a smokers house and the ashtray is full, my olfactory senses go into revolt, where as with a clean ashtray, although I can smell the stale smoke, its not nearly as powerful.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't have any issues with the "room note". However; The War Department occasionally will say... "How about opening a window." The only time that the "Smokin' Hole" may have a disagreeable atmosphere is when a friend of mine (of 40 years) smokes his cigarettes when we play poker.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Bah ! I smoke as much as I feel like smoking, when and where I like (as permitted by law).

I dont worry much about resale or what other people think. Though I am respectful in others cars/homes, my home is my castle, and the King says "Lette Thar Bey Smoake".

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback guys. My wife actually has several lamp berges around the house so I think I am good there. My plan is to install hard wood floors in my office / man cave ASAP so I think I am good there as well. My office is on the first floor of a two story home so installing an exhaust fan is out of the question.
I smoke mostly aeros and lighter blends. I just can't do the bold stuff yet. I think after reading all of this feedback I will be ok.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I've always found that smoking natural tobacco (even RYO) dissipates a lot quicker than a processed cigarette. Getting the ashes or butts out of the room helps as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.