PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sartrean

Lurker
Jan 31, 2017
Tried to smoke outside when it was blowing quite a bit. Tobacco burned really hot. Didn't taste very pleasant, just burnt. Made the pipe gurgle, first time experiencing that.
How do you do this or do you avoid it altogether? Are those pipe lids of any use?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I avoid smoking outside if there is a breeze, otherwise you have to try to cup your hand over the bowl to block it or buy a pipe with one of those lids helps a little if you can find one. Basically, with wind, you are charging the bowl with extra oxygen and higher heat like a blow torch and all the flavor cooks up before it gets a chance to be smoked.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I have had good luck using metal pipe covers like this:

pm-tcvr-1-1000.png

They will fit most pipes, available at P&C or smokingpipes. I smoke mostly on my patio which has some cover but still use these when windy.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I exclusively smoke outside & since I live in a Red Flag Zone (high risk for wild land fire), I always use the wind cap as a spark arrestor, regardless of the wind conditions.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I smoke outdoors only, so windy or no, it's outside I go. So far, the biggest problem I have is lighting and I'll huddle against a wall to get a pipe lit in windy conditions. My tobacco is generally dry, so moisture and gurgling isn't an issue. I don't pack as fully and leave a bit more room between the top of the tobacco and the rim. So far, no real difficulties, though in gale force conditions, outdoor pipe smoking is not exactly relaxing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In high winds, an airtight cover can be used, between puffs. Any small piece of flat material can be used, even a matchbook, (though that's fraught with danger— if you need to be told what that is, perhaps you should shy away from smoking! :) ) The covers - wind caps made for the purpose work great in moderate wind, and help keep embers from flying around.
In fact, I need to find some as not all the time am I smoking in gale force winds. Any suggestions?

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Depends on the wind. If I can at least get a good light going, then put the wind cap on I am usually good to go. Of course if the winds are to high then nothing you do is going to work and it's time to call it a day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoking a pipe, especially lighting a pipe, is an active sport, a little like flying a kite. You have to accept its challenges or it's no fun. Walls, trees, even pillars or posts can be wind breaks. A deep bowl packed about 2/3 full helps. I haven't tried the metal pipe covers, but that looks like a good idea. I usually keep my hand cupped around the top of the bowl. If you work it right, the burn doesn't accelerate that much and you can have a pretty good smoke. However, you can't always tell visually, because the smoke dissipates so fast, so you have to judge by taste, and that changes in the wind too. All this is more fun in a moderate wind. In a gale, it's just a game, not really much of a smoke, but sometimes fun to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.