PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I know that smoking a pipe in the wind is not great for achieving a good smoke, and hard on your pipe. But, I live in a windy place and I can't smoke indoors, so it is inevitable. Anyone experienced with smoking a pipe in windy conditions? Any tips for lighting and achieving a relatively steady burn?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to play the wind breaks carefully, the sheltered side of buildings, trees, or other obstacles. Wind caps

help, I hear, although I haven't tried them. I think I'd favor cobs, inexpensive briars, or even trying the dubious

but durable Brylon material, so as not to burn out nice briar pipes in the wind. I take lighting up in the wind as

a sport, and smoking outdoors can be pleasant, but wind is always a challenge.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In a stiff breeze a wind cap is invaluable. The wind stoking the embers can quickly burn out a pipe. This is particular true for those of us that are working and keep the pipe exposed to the wind, unsheltered by a hand to break the flow across the fire.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
a hand to break the flow across the fire.
I have tried this and it does seem to help. It seems like my current rule of thumb is if I can't keep the lighter going long enough to light up, I shouldn't bother trying to smoke there.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Wind caps are key to success! P&C has two options. This link is the one I have.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-accessories/66835/metal-pipe-cover/#p-111900

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You have to play the wind breaks carefully, the sheltered side of buildings, trees, or other obstacles.
Sometimes you can find an amazing little nook behind a building that protects you 100% from the wind.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I usually just kinda' cup my hand around/over the bowl. Doesn't seem to be any sort of major problem, unless someone is trying to smoke in the midst of a hurricane...

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I was recently in the UK and trying to smoke in about 50mph winds... Worst idea ever and I honestly have no idea how people can do it and enjoy it. Perhaps a wind cap would be of some help, but I would try and find a good indoor spot haha!

Reactions: SaxonX

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Frank: I can't run the chain saw, tractor, or my cameras with my hands around the bowl.
smeigs: It's all what you're used to I guess. You were in the part of the world where smoking is a integral part life, not a hobby or just enjoyed indoors. Just not in pubs, hotels and the like any longer. I do like that the Irish and many of the UK pubs have heated and enclosed smoking areas in the alleys or between buildings. Haven't found that so much in if the good old U S of A.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Well, I'm assuming if you have a tractor, chainsaw, and the like, that you also have a barn. Seems to be the best bet, really... Although I'll bet I could manage a pipe and a tractor at the same time. :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
A pipe is rarely out of my mouth. No barn but, I do have a shed. Unfortunately, I rarely log in the shed and it doesn't snow inside there. With the cameras, it's one hand for lens support and one for the camera. Even working with a tripod and gimbal mount, two hands are usually needed. I can turn the pipe right side down in the rain but, a stiff breeze will cause a cob to turn to smoldering stump in a fairly short period of time. Any weak spots in the bowl of a briar will soon burn through.
Working critters in the snow means there is no place to put the pipe when shooting. I tell you, this is hard work for a smoker. I didn't realize just how hard until I started writing this. Maybe I should rethink this smoking thing. Life would certainly be less complicated, a lot less enjoyable though. I'll just muddle through, pipe in mouth, smoldering gently, as I enjoy working in the best office in the world.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
There ya' go, Warren. Of course, there's much to be said about delayed gratification: Waiting all day until I can sit down and have a proper bowl, relaxed and seated, is always pleasant. :)

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I feel your pain hiplainsdrifter. I am not sure how high of a wind speed you are dealing with but at times I am left to smoke in 10-15 mile an hour guests or not smoke at all. More often than not I will smoke in those conditions because the alternative makes me sad. I do not own a wind screen. Like you, warren, and Frankenstein I use my hand as a deflector even going as far to pay a bit of attention to how much space I have between my fingers on the shielding hand.
It seems like my current rule of thumb is if I can't keep the lighter going long enough to light up, I shouldn't bother trying to smoke there.
Spot on here! I use a pipe-insert zippo most of the time and we all know that the "windproof" hallmark doesn't really apply to the insert. Do you happen to have a bomb bunker nearby? I do. Our designated smoking areas always have a fallout shelter adjacent to them. We aren't allowed to smoke in there but sneaking in for a relight is a life saver.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Our designated smoking areas always have a fallout shelter adjacent to them.
Sounds like your windy locales are a bit different then mine, mine are usually in the wilds somewhere. One thing that I have found that helps is to make use of ground cover- lay down behind a sagebrush, then light. It is surprising though, I have sat down behind 10 ft wide boulders to light, only to find that the wind is eddying around my shelter...

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Falcon with a wind-cap + Zippo torch insert?

I smoke half of the time outdoor.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
As others have said, wind caps really do help. The versions P&C sells are time-tested designs.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Wind caps are useful. I can also verify the above post about UK winds. We've had a long spell of them and smoking at the back of the house was certainly no fun in those conditions, so I compromised by standing at the door and blowing smoke out into the gales. Jus about did it, but it tends to whirl around where I live so half of it came back indoors anyway. A Zippo, cupped hands and waiting for a lull in the wind all worked, even though the pipe glowed like a coal brazier at the time. Recent calm weather has been great, with plenty of opportunity to enjoy a few moments with the pipe in untroubled conditions.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.