PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodbuster3

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2016
I dont smoke in the house its good for the wife and kids and keeps me from smoking ten bowls a day. I do smoke in my truck and it seems to me like alot of blends are muted smoking when its cold out. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Robbuster, a lot of pipers smoke heavy Latakia blends in the winter, probably for the reason you just cited. I can smoke indoors so I'm still rocking Va's and Vaper's

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Yeah Rod, Ashdigger hit the nail on the head. I smoke outside and tend toward Lat blends in the winter. I can still get a great smoke from an Virginia/Perique though.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Outside exclusively. I don't notice too much change in flavor with temperature as much as with higher humidity in the cold, where all tobaccos seem much richer, more flavorful. I think that the smoke is cooler. I notice this more with longer stem pipes, particularly Churchwardens. To say more humid here in the mountains means over 40%RH. I smoke all blends year round with equal enjoyment any season.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The opposite is true for me. I absolutely love smoking in the cold weather. I live in Texas though so cold for us is cool for most.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
You know I was just sitting outside yesterday as I was watching the the snow fall around here, and hadn't noticed a change in the flavor as much as I noticed the temp of my pipe, it's a lot easier to gauge the slight in heat when you actually notIce it. Give you a heads up to slow down a bit, so as to not change the flavor by smoking too fast and keep from the gurgle! I think I may start winter smoking more, a good way to guage what you're actually doing right:)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Year round outdoor smokers here. Nope, Don't notice a difference. That said, nobody wants salad in winter nor squash soup in summer.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I work out side a lot, and thus smoke a lot out doors. So far only noticed richer flavor, but also a bit of bite cause of wind and working hard. I smoke a lot of G&H black and brown through the day or similar, cut with burley ribbon cut to reduce the va bite I always get.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Rather enjoy smoking outdoors in the cold myself, walking the dog on a frosty morning, smoke billowing out from my cold nostrils. Lovely.

Trying to keep my pipe lit when it's chucking it down & blowing a gale, not so much.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm an indoor smoker most of the time, but when I'm outside in the cold I find English blends taste more enhanced and so do aromatics like the Lane Limited Big 3 (1Q,BCA & RLP-6).

bandersnatch

Lurker
Nov 27, 2016
i too worked alot out side and after retiring i fish outside alot. I agree on the strength being diminished , i think you smell less out side so you taste less too.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Im an outside smoker, and lately have been leaning toward the latakia. Though the other night I had a bowl of Solani 633 and it was magic.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I don't smoke outside in the winter much for the same reason. I find I don't have the same experience and I don't really enjoy it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Most always I find outdoor smoking less enjoyable than if smoking indoors , the worse I can imagine is smoking a pricey cigar outside,except from if weather keeps sunny and hot, then yes, in a porch sitting comfortably in shade with some beverage handy

Status
Not open for further replies.