Tags:   

Smoking in the Car

(73 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by nukesimi
  • Latest reply from gatorlope
  1. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

My car's getting old, it's about ten years now. I've never smoked in it, but now I'm thinking "why not?" How many of you smoke in the car? Is it a hassle while driving? I can imagine dropping the pipe in my lap and crashing into a vegetable garden.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

It’s a hassle for me. I don’t enjoy it as I can’t concentrate on how the blend is working in the pipe. Ok with cigars while driving though.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only do it when I'm on the motorway. High-speed straight line cruising is fine with my pipe but city start and stop is a pain in the proverbial and no way to enjoy a smoke. Most of the cars in the UK are manual and I have wondered if I would still abstain from smoking during city driving if I drove an automatic.

When I used to smoke cigarettes I would just smoke whenever I wanted.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Couldn't drive without my pipe in my mug and a Zippo in hand! LOL!
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipe

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

My truck is my favorite place to smoke. Just traded in on a new one and had to decide if I was going to smoke in it. Don't regret it one bit. Good tunes, cup holder, perfect spot on console for lighter and pipe tool. Lots of idle hours sitting in the driveway when it was freezing out this winter.

Tim
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

I am with Bluesmk on this. In fact, ever since I began piping while in the car, I am at total peace with the other drivers and the flow of traffic which surrounds me. Red lights are now my best friend. Unending conga-lines of Ducks crossing the road are a welcome thing.

Traffic-jam? That's what I call: Me-Time.

I just huff, and I puff, and I mellow myself out.

This crazy world round me can do anything it likes.

I don't mind.

I smoke a pipe. - Sherm Natman

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

^^^^^
    Exactly what I wanted to say.

Javan
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I always smoke while I drive. I like it best when the wife is driving, then I only have to think about the smoke.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  9. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sherm, a beautiful piece. I wish I could say that I had written it, but don’t worry, in time I will.

Eric
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am more likely to drive without my keys than a pipe. I’m not even sure what problems smoking a pipe while driving would be. I mean, I don’t cube cut, or slice plugs, or do any fancy pipe loading tricks while driving. I just light my pipe, put it in my clench, and go. And, if I have to relight (which is rare) or tamp, I can still keep a hand on the wheel. The only time it could be dangerous is if I am trying to have sex with a couple of girls and smoke my pipe while driving... but, my wife has slowed all of that down for me.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in the van, not the family car. I don't mind driving, but with a pipe I actually like it.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use dip when I'm driving. I save the pipes for at home smoking.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my car every day. It makes my commute so much more pleasant! I have a leather pipe holder and tamper in a tray in front of the center console. Works great!

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my vehicle from the day I purchase it. Same or similar thoughts and reasoning as most others that have responded.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only time I smoke in the car is when I am in it.
    I can't justify owning something that expensive & not enjoying it 100% just to keep it a certain way for the next owner.
    I crack my window, smoke goes out & a year and a half later it don't smell like smoke.
    It isn't going to depreciate any faster. Or more.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've smoked in every car I've owned over the past thirty years.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. nukesimi

nukesimi

Login to Send PM

I tend to dip too, like ray. But spit bottles are disgusting and they add up.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend to dip too, like ray. But spit bottles are disgusting and they add up.

This is what I use in the car.
    https://www.mudjug.com/collections/mud-jug-roadies

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

hoppes

Login to Send PM

I have my "Truckster" that is 14 years old. It's my only place except outside that I can enjoy a pipe. I have a cigar/pipe can(similar to ray47) in my cup holder that holds my pipe and used matches. It's my safe place if you know what I mean ! Hoppes

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only time it could be dangerous is if I am trying to have sex with a couple of girls and smoke my pipe while driving... but, my wife has slowed all of that down for me.

As she should. You were quite the ladies man!

Jason
    Posted 3 months ago #
  21. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

The only problem I have is dropping my pipe in my lap when I open my mouth to scream at other motorists. That'll be trouble when it gets warm enough to wear shorts.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to until I had a baby girl. I don’t really want to take her car seat in and out all the time and I don’t want the car stinking up as I don’t want my daughter to smell stale smoke and think of her dad, just not the way I’d like to be remembered. I used to smoke in my car all the time, during work breaks and lunch. Got to the point where my windows got so stained with tar that I could hardly see while driving, it was extremely hard to clean off too. Every now and then I’ll sneak a pipe in there but now that I’m divorced I smoke in my home so it’s no big deal.

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

Sounds like Hawky had to choose between his pipe or his wife. Good choice.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Sounds like Hawky had to choose between his pipe or his wife. Good choice.

My wife is working on her own cellar.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like Hawky had to choose between his pipe or his wife. Good choice

Pretty much, it’s not too far off base, my ex wife HATED my pipe smoking. I’m much happier now, I’ve got my pipes, my good ol’ dog and plenty of bonding time with my daughter, much more quality time with her now that my ex isn’t monitoring my every decision, we can actually laugh at our farts together now, no better bonding time than sharing some flatulence every now and then and finding humor in it. Ya know, my first mistake was marrying a man-hater.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke in the car almost every time I get in, whether for a five minute errand or a half day drive. Large bag full of dry tobacco makes loading with one hand, eyes on the road. Same with lighting; one hand for lighter, one on wheel, both eyes on road.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  27. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I enjoy a nice cob on my way home sitting in traffic
    When that idiot in front of me cuts me off I just puff a little harder and move on.
    Seriously though...it does calm me down on the road and that ain’t bad.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  28. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Well said Sherm...well said

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs only. I do find I smoke faster though while driving

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the kind words Aro222, Jvnshr, and, Ravkesef; and, may your bowls always remain full and glowing, and keep you from tasting any of the cold, dark, dottle of life. - Sherm Natman

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

Love smoking in my car. Heavy traffic sucks and lighting up a delicious bowl gets my mind off dumb traffic and relaxes me. Driving becomes second nature and smoking grabs most of my attention.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried it a couple of times, and it's a bit inconvenient for me.

On the other hand, I love bringing a pipe to the golf course and have no issues enjoying it while on the cart

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  33. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I smoke in the car (mostly because I don't smoke inside-not really-our secret) but not while driving. I like smoking mindfully, if I want to smoke while driving it's usually a Cigar or 'rillo but even that rarely. Like Timt; many cold idle hours spent in the driveway.

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About the only place where I (can) smoke: my car. A pipe also makes my foot less leaden.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  35. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my vehicles have two wheels. Not sure what would go up quicker, the pipe or my beard.

The last thing I want to do is give Ashdigger more work!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

My avatar is actually me smoking in my car. Every morning I take my 3 year old to the kindergarten and on my way to the work I light up a bowl and enjoy it for 15-20 minutes. The worst part is parking and leaving the pipe in the car. As shermnatman described I don't care about the traffic or reckless drivers and I love red lights. I also try to finish my lunch early and enjoy another 30 minutes of puffing while sitting in the car. From my workplace it takes about 15 minutes to arrive home and every single minute of that journey consists of pipe smoking. When my wife asks what I did during the lunchtime I tell her what I ate and then how I enjoyed smoking X blend in my X pipe while sitting in my transportable smoking lounge. Here are some pictures from the lounge:

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

catskillcal

Login to Send PM

I smoke while driving in my car and at work in my truck, I'll drive a good 4 to 6 hours without stopping on a good day. And most of the time that's the only place for me to actually enjoy my pipes during my day. So I had to come up with a one handed pipe packing system. Put the tin on lap, open tin, put lid between legs, take pipe and slide tobacco into bowl with one finger, clench pipe, close tin, toss tin into overhead cubby, light pipe. all with one hand and keeping eyes on the road, but in my further defense I usually try to pack a pipe or two before I start driving. As to smoking in a vehicle in general, it will stink it up quite a bit without proper ventilation, and when you do drop your pipe (especially driving 65-70 with a load pushing 80k) it can be a bit of a distraction but at that moment you just have to ignore it until you've assessed the situation. Also been thinking about vehicle friendly pipe racks.

Posted 3 months ago #
  38. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

Lacking catskillcal's dexterity, I've never been comfortable smoking a pipe in my car. I can manage cigars and cigarettes, though.

Posted 3 months ago #
  39. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I went to my health clinic yesterday to review my prescription meds. During the interview, I was asked the routine questions including if I smoked. I acknowledged that I smoke a pipe but like Mr. Clinton, I do not inhale. (Got a laugh) Later an attendant pushed me out to the car in my wheelchair. When I opened the door she exclaimed, "Oh! you smoke a pipe. That smells wonderful!"

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is two wooden piperests, setting on a non-slip drawer liner on my console.
    :::knock on wood::: I have never dropped a pipe while driving. Nor, has any infringement on my driving occurred from smoking a pipe. Here, the speeds on the interstate are usually kept between 80 and 100mph. If you drive slower, you can get run off the road or pulled over for not staying with the flow of traffic. If I do have to drive at a slow 70mph, like out of state, it seems like a crawl. So, if you are someone who thinks that smoking a pipe "might" be a distraction for you, please don't smoke. I don't see a difference between smoking a cigarette, cigar, or a pipe. All are pretty much hands-free to me. But, if for some reason YOU think it would be too much for you... then just don't. For the rest of us who never even questioned it... keep on rolling.

Posted 3 months ago #
  41. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I went to my health clinic yesterday to review my prescription meds. During the interview, I was asked the routine questions including if I smoked. I acknowledged that I smoke a pipe but like Mr. Clinton, I do not inhale. (Got a laugh) Later an attendant pushed me out to the car in my wheelchair. When I opened the door she exclaimed, "Oh! you smoke a pipe. That smells wonderful!"

Hah!

The woman obviously wanted you and made the opening parry. Can you relate more??

Cosmic's advice is good. If you have a doubt, don't. Otherwise, carry on! Though I would not try to load from a tin while underway. A nice large ziplock, with plenty of room for pipe and hand.....

Posted 3 months ago #
  42. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my car all the time. If you can't manage a codger pack and then lighting, I question if you should be listening to the radio or talking on the phone or drinking coffee while you drive. Maybe your traffic is far worse than mine.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 3 months ago #
  43. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also work from home so, I don’t do much driving these days but I can relate to those who say it totally curbs road rage. It was a delight to smoke while driviing.

Posted 3 months ago #
  44. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like everyone else, I have to multi-task in the course of life, but if I can, I take my pleasures one at a time to the degree possible, and both driving and pipe smoking are pleasures to me. Driving, I sometimes listen to the radio, but often just listen to the engine, enjoy the driving itself, but drive moderately to accept the thoughts that cross my mind. Everyone thinks they're a terrific driver but as we see, it's not true. I'm not, so I drive defensively, and some people get really pissed when you're only five or ten mph over the limit. If I need to smoke while driving, like after lunch on a road trip, I smoke a cigar, but that's unusual. So it's not a matter of not smelling up the car but not wanting to juggle activities a lot. People in general don't know it is important to check in with yourself now and then.

Posted 3 months ago #
  45. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

In 2012 I bought a new truck. The wife insisted that there was no smoking in it. I lasted 3 months before I got pulled over one day and wasn't going to have time to smoke before work. So I kept the window way down, while I smoked till I got there. Then a couple months later when we were driving around looking at houses, the wife told me that she wanted a cigarette, and that it would be ok once and a while to smoke in the new truck. So all these years I let her think it was her idea to do it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  46. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I Smoke all the way while driving long distances on motorway, But I must take along some softy bites or Vinyl tapes along in order to save my stems from bitemarks.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  47. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my car. I don't smoke in m'lady's car. When I traded her last car in for another a couple years back, we were told "You get $200 credit for having a non-smoking car".

Posted 3 months ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my car all the time. If you can't manage a codger pack and then lighting, I question if you should be listening to the radio or talking on the phone or drinking coffee while you drive.

Yes. My only problem comes when I am applying eyelash enhancer, drinking coffee and smoking the pipe while texting.

Posted 3 months ago #
  49. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just $200? Hmmmm, I'd pay even more than that to smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  50. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, me too. I also refuse to be socially engineered through bribes.

Posted 3 months ago #
  51. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My car smells like pipe tobacco. Don't give a durn what anybody else says. Same goes for my house. I tell people I smoke in my house. If they don't want to smell it, they don't have to come over. Saves me a lot of trouble.

Posted 3 months ago #
  52. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

The only time I don't smoke in the car or Jeep, is when our 6 year old daughter is in it with us.

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tell people I smoke in my house. If they don't want to smell it, they don't have to come over. Saves me a lot of trouble.
    And Jim hits a Home Run, I agree...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  54. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

There is rarely a car ride that isn't accompanied by a pipe for me. I keep a half dozen cheaper basket and estate pipes in the car and a jar of ribbon cut VA as well as some Carter Hall in the car at all times. I've never had a problem with road rage but am even more at peace with all the crazies on the road with a pipe in my hand.

Posted 3 months ago #
  55. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

I don't even fart in my Hellcat, much less smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Amen Jim.
    About all one has left.

Posted 3 months ago #
  57. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+ 1 for JimInks,You have figured it out,,

Posted 3 months ago #
  58. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke nearly daily in the truck. With regular cleanings, fresh air fresheners, odour eliminating sprays during cleanings nobody can smell it unless they are looking for it. My boss comes to town quarterly and he doesn’t smell it. My wife on the other hand will smell it no matter what even if it isn’t there hahaha

Posted 3 months ago #
  59. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I bought Wagan Air Ionizer from Cigars International 3 years ago and have been using it in my car since then. Even gifted one to a heavy cigarette smoking friend of mine and his car has stopped smelling like an ashtray.

Posted 3 months ago #
  60. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

I would smoke my cobs in my truck. I found it a bit of a hassle since it was a stick. Mostly I stick with cigars while driving.

Posted 3 months ago #
  61. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I want my car to smell nice, I smoke aromatics in it!

Posted 3 months ago #
  62. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My car, my pipe, simple as that. I need to clean some of them out now, since I have a dozen or so in the console & it's getting hard to decide by feel -laugh-

For road trips (5-6 hours or so) I'll usually pack 2-3 in advance & reload at gas stops. Definitely does help to keep me from grumping in heavy traffic!

B

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  63. btwes7

btwes7

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have never mastered the fine art of smoking a pipe while driving. Did it once driving from Indianapolis back to Pittsburgh. That’s a boring 400 miles so I gave it a shot. Switched to a cigar at the first rest stop.

Posted 3 months ago #
  64. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my truck ALL THE TIME. On Tuesday of last week I spent 12 hours in my truck and smoked about 10 bowls of Granger in 3 different pipes. Wednesday was also 12 hours and about 10 bowls of Granger in 2 different pipes. Thursday was 3 fire scenes, 4 bowls while driving around Vegas. Friday was 14 hours in the truck and about 10 bowls of Granger in my Chopped Falcon with Meerschaum Bowl.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  65. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ashdigger, Kombucha in your flask right?

I always smoke when driving my ute, its a '97 but would still do so if I was driving a new car. I don't smoke in the family car but only really use that with the kids in the weekend anyway.
    I find gear changes are fine but if my pipe needs a relight and I am gearing down at a corner and the phone rings it gets a bit much.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  66. bigtex

bigtex

Login to Send PM

If I’m driving, I’m smoking. Usually a pipe on the way to work and a cigar on the way home... I make it a point to smoke in a new truck when I pick it up from the dealership as I go straight to the beach to break it in!

Making Pipe Smoking Great Again!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  67. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Isaac.

It's either Redbull or water.

Posted 3 months ago #
  68. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I’ve got an old Dodge pick-up that I smoke cigars and pipes in. Runs great too !

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 3 months ago #
  69. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't remember the last time I drove my car and didn't smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  70. maduromadness

maduromadness

Login to Send PM

I use lightweight pipes for easy clenching and pack my bowls before I get to driving. Kind of a must since I drive a stick, my only complaints are the smoke tends to get in my eyes so sunglasses are preferred. I've had some very memorable smokes in my car and its the only consistent time I can smoke. Wife hates the smell but it's not her car. Tamping does take some skill though and is prob the hardest thing to manage while driving.

Posted 3 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, aldecaker, tfdickson, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe