PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
In a post here jmatt gave me the impression that he felt like if he wanted to sit and smoke in a smoke shop he felt obligated to buy a cigar and smoke it.There's a smoke shop about 10 miles from my house.I don't go there and smoke for that same reason.Maybe that's not really the way it is but I just don't feel comfortable taking my pipe and sitting there smoking without buying something.Is that just the way my old brain thinks,or do more of you feel that way?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you're a regular customer then no problem. If you're an occasional visitor then buying something is a courteous gesture. My mom taught me that If I'm visiting someone I should bring cake.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My main local B&M doesn't allow smoking indoors because of the landlord, but there's a couple of others that do. I don't really feel obligated to buy when I go in them.

There's another one in Gatlinburg that I go to every year, The Gatlin-Burlier, that gives out free samples, so I usually fill a bowl with one of their blends to smoke while I'm in there. It's a really cool place!
Just to be clear, I usually end up buying something at The Gatlin-Burlier, and the two locals that allow smoking are just part of larger establishments that have bars and pool tables, so I usually do spend money there too...... Just not on tobacco.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I believe it is common courtesy to buy something if you're going to hang out and smoke. I make a cursory purchase to "buy" my seat. Cigar or pipe tobacco. I'd like to just take my smoke/cigar so that I can enjoy a smoke indoors with others, but I'm pretty sure they'd prefer you contribute to their bottom line at least a bit.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
+1 on the common courtesy... buy an ounce or two... smoke a while...

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Like others, I would buy something. Just pick a blend you already know you like and pay the extra $3-$5 relative to ordering it online. Or buy some lighter fuel or something. If it's a local place and you visit once or twice a week, doing that a few times should be enough to establish your credentials until you find a nice pipe or two to purchase.
That being said, I've visited some shops that don't seem very welcoming unless you're spending hundreds of dollars on a Dunhill, fancy lighter, or box of expensive cigars. I don't expect the clerk to kiss my butt for buying his $15 tin of Escudo, but a minute of chit-chat about favorite tobaccos wouldn't hurt. It's not like most smoke shops are exceptionally busy servicing customers most of the time. Not surprisingly, those same clerks tend to perk up considerably when I hand them a Dunhill to buff up.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I to visit the Gatlin-Burlier when I go up that way. I smoked and bought some stuff the last time I went in there. This year I will be doing the same. There was a place out in Hawaii that has closed in about 2011 sadly that sold cigars and pipes. It was a wonderful place, the guy offered me to fill my bowl have a seat and try out the blend I was looking at. With my wife and kids in the car I did fill and try it out but didn't set and smoke a bit with them (they understood). They had nice leather armchairs, store smelled wonderful and the group of gents in there was a great bunch from what I knew. I would always go there to buy my tobacco, while I lived there. Hope to see another store like that someday, even if I have to open my own after retirement.
I wouldn't smoke in the store unless I was a regular or buying from them. I'd feel odd otherwise.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Depends on where you are here. The B&M I go to where I live is none smoking in the mall, haven't found another place in GA yet to check out. The Gatlin store we mention is in TN when last I heard they haven't passed a law yet not allowing us to do so, and that store is in a shopping center. CA doesn't like anything in their air kept maybe smog. :lol: I only been to the Cactus Spirits in Seirra Vista, AZ and they are more.... well spirits than pipes, do have a nice walk in humidor though. Jacksonville, TN is another spot I would visit once in a blue moon and well its TN also. There wasn't any shops in the area I lived in MS, so can't speak for them. Stinks that you can't do that, I think it should be fine, it is the main reason for the business. It is also a great place to just hang out a chat about like minded stuff, weather, etc.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you're not a regular.. yes, it's just common courtesy to buy something. I'm a regular at a couple of shops and don't feel the need to buy something every trip. some trips I'll spend $100 and the next trip I'll just BS and spend nothing but a new guy off the street I would expect to drop a few bucks before having a seat. the cable tv, heat, a/c, coffee, furniture, etc all cost money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think my local independent would mind if I came to smoke only, but I've been a customer for years, if infrequent. However,

if you expect your shop to stay open, you need to buy from them. The Tinder Box at the mall can't allow smoking.

If you've been a customer for years, and he knows that most likely the pipe and tobacco came from him, then that's one thing. But, if someone is asking the question fresh on a forum, it's safe to assume he is wanting to waltz into a B&M and use his own stash to smoke. Buying your tobacco at the B&M is what provides everyone with the lounge areas. That is just like walking into a bar with a 6-pack, a selfish sense of entitlement. Come on, spend a little cash on a stoge or a tin. Heck, buy a single oz of something in the bulk. But, don't be the self-entitled jerky cheapo who wants to use a lounge for free. This should be a no-brainer.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I think courtesy says you should buy something.

If nobody bought anything, but used the place to smoke, its only a matter of time before it closes.

Aug 1, 2012
I guess I'm just lucky here.
The pipe/cigar shop here lets you smoke if you buy some tea or coffee (or beer, whiskey, juice, etc.). €1.40 later and you've had a nice pot of tea with the tobacco you brought with. Despite that I've already bought a couple tins, some pipe cleaners and some matches and have my eye on a really nice Peterson or a Rattray's meer that the owner keeps trying to sell me at a discount.
Back in Colorado, Edwards allowed me to smoke if I bought as little as a pack of pipe cleaners. As many pipe cleaners as I go through in a resto, that's a great deal. Of course it might not have hurt that the first time I went in I bought 2 pipes and a pound of tobacco.
Bottom line: Support the cause however you can just to keep nice places like that around.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
When visiting a new establishment I usually ask where the bosses' office is and promptly clear off his desk with a wide sweep of my arm. After unbuttoning my pants, it's nice to recline back with my feet on the desk and use whatever combustibles are about to light up with. One B&M employee was so rude he actually complained when I broke wind during this routine... or at least that is what I think he was babbling on about.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"When visiting a new establishment I usually ask where the bosses' office is and promptly clear off his desk with a wide sweep of my arm. After unbuttoning my pants, it's nice to recline back with my feet on the desk and use whatever combustibles are about to light up with. One B&M employee was so rude he actually complained when I broke wind during this routine... or at least that is what I think he was babbling on about."
LOL! Check the desk drawers for his finest liquor too!

Status
Not open for further replies.