Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
It is a gorgeous 70 degrees, sunny, with clear blue skies, not to mention the beautiful blue water of Tampa Bay that I am looking at outside my window right now. (Sorry. I couldn't resist.)
However, most of the country still has some chilly weather, so Steve Morrisette and I thought a good topic for his "the Gentleman Smoker" column this month would be ...
Bowls in the Cold: Hats, Gloves & Umbrella Etiquette

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great article Steve. I grew up in a time where manners and proper etiquette were taught and I was expected to follow them always. I have taught my kids how to behave and they do a good job. I have seen all too often how their friends are totally clueless what proper etiquette is all about. Since I am 6'4" and go 225, my golf umbrella looks appropriate. I always have it in my car as here in Florida it gets quite a bit of use. Our society would do well if manners and etiquette were taught in elementary school so it would be ingrained in all children.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Kevin,

While listening to my backlog of podcasts one of Brian's guests, The Scottish Piper, tells how he has been known to smoke his pipe upside-down to avoid heavy wind. I'm certain this can apply to rain as well. What say you?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
When temps dip below 40 degrees, I leave my pipe at home, it's just not enjoyable.
Great reference points on hat etiquette. Gentlemen should always take their hats off indoors, that bugs me when they don't. I was raised by an Army SGM and received a light cuff to the head if my hat was not removed indoors. Don't get me started on flag etiquette....

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
One is struck with the question whilst reading this article: From what century did it originate? The tone and writing style is reminiscent of Arthur Conan Doyle and some of the references apply well to the Victorian era. The brolly and radiator (with which I grew up as a lad but rarely see these days) are antediluvian as the very least. But harkening back to a distant time with more civil ways (generally) it does bring a fine crease to one's chapeau, a perfectly aligned scarf with one's camel hair overcoat and a smile to one's face. Hear, hear!

Spencer

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Inclement is our season right now here in Canada...still cold, sometimes wet, sometimes snowing, rarely sunny. Makes me enjoy my pipe even more...I just make sure I am dressed for the occasion and have an extra large glass of Cabernet in hand :)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Tried smoking a pipe in very cold weather at times while working in the garage repairing my snow blower, etc. and in my opinion it's just not worth it. Breathing in cold frigid air and ergo not much taste and simply not enjoyable. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll keep my pipe confined to where I can fully enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.