PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I go through all the ritual of lighting my pipe with matches (which I don't even bother anymore), but I can't stand the heat of my city, so I need to smoke in front of a fan.
The problem is, it's causing many relightnings. I have to pause all the time to relight.
What can I do to solve this problem?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not sure how a fan would cause your pipe to go out. On the contrary, smoking in high winds (whether natural or man-made) can make your pipe burn too hot or burn out.
It may be the case that you should keep the fan off until your pipe is properly lit, and the ember has crawled a quarter of the way down the bowl or so. Then you'll probably be less affected by the fan.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I smoke in front of a fan in the summer. It’s a small fan and I put it on the floor blowing up towards me so the wind doesn’t generally go into the pipe and cause any problems.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Machado, I understand your dilemma, and can sympathize! When I started smoking, I didn’t realize that there was heat involved in the process. Matches scare me, too, since, as a child, I accidentally burned the family house to the ground. But by the time I realized that there was no avoiding combustion while smoking (after making many posts here - thank you kind PipesMagazine friends!), it was too late. I was hopelessly addicted to the evil weed. Why doesn’t the Government warn people about such things? I tend to sweat a lot, changing clothes six or seven times in a typical work day, just avoid embarrassing wet splotches. I tried just wearing less clothes, stripping down to my skivvies in the the office, but the chairs we have leave unsightly marks on my posterior.
So here are a few things that I do in the summer months to mitigate the heat:
1. Smoke in the shower. Works best with a waterproof pipe, like a Brylon. Use waterproof matches. A blend like Capt. Monochromatic works well, since it’s already soaking wet.
2. Pack yourself in ice. At first, I thought this was an impractical suggestion, due to the prohibitive cost of buying ice. But I discovered that the local fish market throws out their ice at the end of the day! The latent aromas add to my fantasy of being aboard a four-masted schooner, plying the icy waters of the wild and turbulent North Atlantic!
3. Get a second freezer. I often see old freezers being thown out, so I dragged one home and plugged it in. Eureka! Instand Anti-Sauna! Just be sure to let a friend know where you are, since there’s no door handle on the inside, and someone should be around to let you out after a while.
Anyways, I hope this helps. I have some other suggestions, but I have to go walk the cats and vacuum the lawn before the guys show up for throat-singing practice.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Woodsroad is full of humor today.
I don't know where you live so I can only tell you what I do.
I live in SE Louisiana and during most of the year, I find it too hot to sit outside and smoke my pipe without some cooling. When I sit in my garage, I have the big doors open and both a ceiling fan and a evaporative cooler running. I have to turn the fans off when lighting my pipe and then turn it back on. Sitting directly under the ceiling fan will make the pipe tobacco burn faster so try sitting someplace where you are not directly under the fan.
When I sit outside to smoke, I tend to do it when the temperature is below 90 degrees F, either in the early morning are later in the afternoon when I can sit in the shade of the trees in my backyard. If I'm lucky, we have a breeze blowing that helps cools things off some. I also have a tall glass of cold water to drink with my pipe.
As for constant relighting, that may also be because of the moisture level in your tobacco or not getting it packed as well as it should be.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Lol Woodsroad... Your comment made my day :rofl:
Btw, machado, buy a wind cap for pipe. Works okay. or some simple thing to do is just put your palm above the bowl. Beware of the heat though

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
ZmuvmgbJS.gif

As to the OP, we hear you brother. It is indeed tough to light a bowl and smoke in any wind, including a fan. But if you can’t smoke inside, there are elements to overcome. You probably need to shut the fan off when lighting your pipe and then turn it back on. I too have to deal with obstacles like these.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've outlived all of my fans. Or, they've moved on to younger idols. Haven't signed an autograph in years and no young ladies have tossed underwear my way.
Sorry, my memory failed me. I've never had a fan base and any ladies unmentionables around the house were taken from various neighborhood clotheslines.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Don't mind Warren, machado. He gets like that occasionally, as do I. "It's an old-guy thing...." [finger tap temple]
Seriously, you might try what I do, since summers are hot & often not windy here. An oscillating fan set on low or medium, & placed on the floor or somewhere else so it blows the breeze up. Helps both with heat *&* dispelling the smoke.
And Dan, you are nuts. N,V,T,S, nuts.... Keep it up. :)
Bill

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Drier tobacco seems to be doing better, thanks @jpmcwjr!
I guess that some brands of tobacco just go out more often and you eventually will have to relight, like Captain Black Royal. I read this on TobaccoReviews yesterday I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.