Smoking in San Francisco

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by derfargin
  • Latest reply from mbaytek
  1. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few questions on current laws for public smoking in CA. From what I'm reading, it seems the only place you can smoke are in your own home, and in your coffin. I'm headed to the Bay Area next week and I'd like to take some pipes along, but if I can't smoke anywhere, I don't see the point. Could could someone from the area PM me with ideas?

Much appreciated.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. macabra11

macabra11

Login to Send PM

I have a trip to San Francisco coming up in July. I also thought it might be nice to bring along a pipe to smoke when walking around town. I guess I better look into the city regs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Dudes if that city forbids smoking on a sidewalk, or park, etc, why give them your money and be unhappy your whole stay? Go somewhere else. no?

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Exactly my sentiments jd.

Google up zombietime.com, up your alley fair and see what passes for acceptable behavior while pipe smoking is not.
    The place is a turdbowl.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it legal for the words "smoking" and "San Francisco" to even be in the same sentence??

RLTW!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Forget San Francisco...Go to Carmel-By-The Sea....Visit Dick at the Carmel Pipe Shop..Enjoy a pipe at any of the restaurants with an outside patio...

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carmel Dick????????????????? Uh...no.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL....Yeah, well it's a business trip, so I'm trying to make the best of it. Would like to be able to relax after the grind.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

OK, aside from smoking in my father's study, where I light up, it's not a smoking-friendly place. I grew up in the Haight-Ashbury, oh, the irony. (I really should order a tin of GLP's Ashbury, even though I like heavier latakia blends.) When I go back to visit Mom, I generally ignore the rule about not being allowed to smoke in parks. I find the Strybing Arboretum and Golden Gate Park a nice place to walk my pipe. It's a really big park; there's room enough for everyone. I really enjoy the irony of no smoking in Buena Vista Park, not far from my folks' house. There is more grass smoked there ... I haven't had an issue smoking legal tobacco in a park. And do visit San Francisco. It's a fabulous city — lots of good food, neighborhoods, parks, museums, etc., despite its misguided liberalism on smoking. And I would be remiss, regarding San Francisco, if i didn't say, "Go Giants!"

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

And the Occidental is still going ... http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/ I would assume a pipe is fine there.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live in California, and frequently visit family in SF. I have always smoked my pipe anywhere I want as long as it's outdoors and never had any problems. Truth be told, I smoke my Falcon often inside bars, and everyone assumes it's an e-cig, and never had an issue. Much of the hysteria is just hysteria.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If they feel the need to pass a law playing morality police on smokers, while overlooking unleashed depravity in the streets, regardless of whether or not it is enforced, I will vote with my wallet and travel elsewhere. I certainly understand a business trip and making the best of it though...

When I lived near there, the SF DA Terence Hallinan had the unenviable record of 1 conviction for every four murders..cases like that were routinely bungled while cases of a much less serious nature, but were offensive to the politically correct were vigourously prosecuted.

It really is an Alice in Wonderland type experience for me....

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've yet to be hassled by anyone when puffing away in San Francisco. I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with the City. I don't ask, and they don't tell.

Perhaps some of our brethren from the Land of the Golden Gate can enlighten us.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. sfsteves

sfsteves

Well Aged

Login to Send PM

PM sent ...

SteveS
    de gustibus non est disputandum

"If there is no smoking in Heaven, I shall not go." - Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  15. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

We smoke our pipes in the Occidental bar with no problem.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

If you can rent a car, go 30 minutes north of San Francisco to Telford's Pipe and Cigar in Mill Valley, Marin County. You can smoke all you please inside as Brian Telford owns the building and is the sole tenant.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was in San Fransisco last summer for two weeks with a pipe constantly in my mouth, everywhere I went. I was never treated anyway but respectfully. Being from Alabama, I never even think of smoking "rules" as an option. So, I was doing this in ignorance of any laws they may have on the books. This is actually the first time I realized that I may have gotten in trouble, lol.

I wouldn't worry, just smoke as if you're not doing anything wrong and be respectful of others. Generally, police don't even notice anything until you get that one glimmer in your eye of trying to get away with something.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

^ + 1. I smoke my pipe in many places I'm probably not supposed to but I'm cool about it and respectful. Never had a problem

Including San Francisco and the Sea-Tac Airport.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information gents.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

One Sf resident on this forum awhile back stated that he was cited by an officer as he smoked his pipe near city hall. When he pointed towards some kids smoking weed in the same location, he was told that they were covered by the medical marijuana law, so it is possible to be cited.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. mbaytek

mbaytek

Login to Send PM

Forget San Francisco...Go to Carmel-By-The Sea....Visit Dick at the Carmel Pipe Shop..Enjoy a pipe at any of the restaurants with an outside patio...

I work about ten minutes from the Carmel Pipe shop, great place!

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, pepesdad1, morgansteele, lestrout, georged, tschiraldi, mso489, ajohnb, scrumpyjack